LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

Newer Standard ipad is great for basics which I use it for.. Got one a month ago, and been very happy with it.

• Like 1

This was a good decision. I’ve been on it a good portion of the evening and I’ve only lost 15% battery. In the long run, that’s going to extend the life of my X a good bit as I won’t have to use it as much when I’m home. And the battery life on it has been getting worse. Not bad, just noticeably less. I was also a little worried as when my wife set hers up it automatically took care of forwarding calls and texts to her iPad. Mine did not and I had to google how to do that. And now that I’ve figured out the split keyboard I can type reasonably well. 

• Like 2

The Gen1 pencil is good if you ever feel compelled to need it. Performance wise it's really no worse than the Gen2 revision, it's just that the Gen2 boasts an unquestionably superior charging solution. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

The Gen1 pencil is good if you ever feel compelled to need it. Performance wise it's really no worse than the Gen2 revision, it's just that the Gen2 boasts an unquestionably superior charging solution. 

Art is not my forte; I draw like an 8 year old.  :babyruth

I have another question for you long term Apple users.  All of a sudden my wife has been coming up in calls and texts as "Betty or Mom."  There is literally an "or" in there and I even have her relation to me as wife/spouse in the contacts.  Now, obviously I'm not married to my mother and this is bothering me greatly.  I can't seem to find out why this started happening over the last month.  

9 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Now, obviously I'm not married to my mother and this is bothering me greatly.

Other than getting you guys on Jerry Springer...

Seriously though :) do you guys share an iCloud account? Do the kids use it too on a device? It sounds like someone sharing the account has that phone # set as Mom versus Betty... Just a guess but, that’s where I would look first. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Magness said:

Other than getting you guys on Jerry Springer...

Seriously though :) do you guys share an iCloud account? Do the kids use it too on a device? It sounds like someone sharing the account has that phone # set as Mom versus Betty... Just a guess but, that’s where I would look first. 

We have our own iCloud accounts.  My son has an android.

30 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I have another question for you long term Apple users.  All of a sudden my wife has been coming up in calls and texts as "Betty or Mom."  There is literally an "or" in there and I even have her relation to me as wife/spouse in the contacts.  Now, obviously I'm not married to my mother and this is bothering me greatly.  I can't seem to find out why this started happening over the last month.  

The only thing I can think of is that you somehow have the same phone number assigned to two contacts. I’m not sure that’s it, but it might be worth checking on in case you haven’t done so already.

I'm going through right now and deleting multiple contacts.  She had like 3, different emails and stuff, and getting them all under one contact.  I had told the contacts to join them, but maybe that was causing issues.  Now, my mom is listed as "Mom" but it's a totally different area code even.

Ok, I think I've figured it out.  Looks like my son's email, which I have access to and check more than he does as he's 10, was probably causing the issue.  My contacts was grabbing his contact list for some reason.  I unselected that as an option and all of a sudden the contacts on my phone matched up with the contacts on the iCloud website.  Hopefully that fixes it.  This happens to coincide with the new Motorola I got him a few weeks ago and used his own email account because I was tired of him using mine.  I didn't think that would come all the way across from an Android.  

My wife just sent a text and it was just her name that came up.  She's no longer my mom, thank God.

• Like 1

I got a Series 5 Apple Watch as an early Christmas present from my wife. Coming from a Series 0, this thing is so blazingly fast. Scrolling is buttery smooth and all apps instantly start and are ready to use. The Walkie Talkie feature that was added in watchOS 5 (which the Series 0 doesn't support) is fun. The ECG is easy to use. I feel like I'm in the future now.

• Like 2

Hi all. Are you all quite sure about that recommendation of the basic iPad? I looked into one the other week for my mother in law, and our conclusion was that it was safest to get the Mini or Air, as the CPU in the basic A10 is out of an iPhone 7, and so might well come a cropper on September's OS update. Just for keeping out of trouble I'd have thought the A12 was safer.

I would agree that the Air or new Mini with the A12 is a safer bet in the long term but, nothing wrong with any of those 3 models really:

Just cost vs. capacity vs. longer term support

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iainl said:

Hi all. Are you all quite sure about that recommendation of the basic iPad? I looked into one the other week for my mother in law, and our conclusion was that it was safest to get the Mini or Air, as the CPU in the basic A10 is out of an iPhone 7, and so might well come a cropper on September's OS update. Just for keeping out of trouble I'd have thought the A12 was safer.

Okay, I'm a dumb American. What the hell does, "might well come a cropper" mean?

The only thing that stutters on my basic model is google news, but it does that to some degree on my X as well.  It boots up very fast, swaps apps fast.  It's a nice unit for basic stuff.  Mario Run and Mario Kart both run fine.  I can't see them stopping updating the OS on this model either, regardless of what processor it has.  They put more RAM in it for a reason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iainl said:

The regular iPad refresh was so recent I expect its OS compatibility to be good for several years to come. As I wrote previously, yes it’s slower on the CPU/GPU front compared to the Mini, Air and Pros but it’s still excellent value for money if the budget is tight.

35 minutes ago, JFo said:

Okay, I'm a dumb American. What the hell does, "might well come a cropper" mean?

Thanks everyone. Oops. "come a cropper" is a generic sort of "get stuck" type thing. Will not worry too much about processors, then. But I think she also wants a half-reasonable camera for scanning documents as well, so will see what reviews say between the three.

30 minutes ago, iainl said:

Oops. "come a cropper" is a generic sort of "get stuck" type thing.

Got it. Thanks.

While we're on the subject of iPads, I may be getting a new iPad Pro soon. Well, sort of. I've been having issues with my 11-inch iPad Pro and will be getting a replacement under warranty. I've been getting a lot of false inputs on the iPad's touch screen for several months now. For instance, I'll be watching a video in YouTube and the overlay controls will appear as if I had tapped the screen. Worse, if I don't have the video in full-screen mode, a video in the sidebar may start playing at random. Or I may be in Safari, and a web page might open up as if I had tapped on a hyperlink that was on the screen. Or I may be in Notes when the keyboard pops up, even though I didn't tap on the note to edit it. I could cite a bunch of other examples, but you get the idea.

I took it to the Apple Store over the weekend to have a Genius look at it. I wasn't sure what they would do. I explained the problem to the woman helping me and assumed she would run some sort of diagnostic test to see if she could recreate the problem. Instead, she went into the analytics section in the Settings app and poked around in there for a bit. After that, she said she said we could try to do a system wipe and reinstall everything, but based on what I had told her, it sounded more like a hardware issue. So, she said she would order a replacement. Apparently, they can't replace the screen on this model in store because of the way it's built. She also didn't have a replacement in stock for me to take home that day. Instead, she was going to order a new one -- or at least a refurbished unit -- and I can exchange my malfunctioning one for it.

It should be in sometime this week. Hopefully, this new unit won't exhibit the same issues in a few months. 

I'd also add my biggest "issue," which is very minor, is how long the TouchID takes to actuate.  You can't just press and release the Home button to unlock.  You have to press and wait at least a second before it reads the fingerprint.  That's really the only thing that bothers me because I've gotten so used to FaceID.  But on the opposite side I can unlock it without looking at now that I've started to really get used to it. 

And the battery life is really good too.  I think I'm on like day 4 without charging; turning it off every night and not on again until the next.  Again, I am not a power user and using it mostly for news and reading after work and occasionally as a second screen streaming when I'm on the computer playing a game.  

2 hours ago, iainl said:

Thanks everyone. Oops. "come a cropper" is a generic sort of "get stuck" type thing. Will not worry too much about processors, then. But I think she also wants a half-reasonable camera for scanning documents as well, so will see what reviews say between the three.

Camera is definitely going to be the worst on the basic.  I don't remember if my wife's mini had one, but the basic has no flash.  I don't use it as a camera anyhow simply because with only 32 GB it just isn't very feasible for long.  And my X certainly has a better camera.  

• Like 1

I received an email from Apple yesterday saying that the replacement iPad is in. I just need to find the time to go pick it up. I'll probably do that this weekend. I'll post an update once I make the exchange.

• Like 1

I went into the Apple Store this morning and picked up my replacement iPad Pro. It was a virtually no-fuss experience. I told them who I was, showed them a photo ID, and walked out with a new model. I did have to hand in the old one, of course. Fortunately, they let me transfer the data from the old one before I erasing it.

So far, so good. I have all my apps and games downloaded. I haven’t noticed any bizarre input issues with the touch screen, but I have 90 days to bring it back to Apple if I do.

Aside from having to log back into all my accounts, about the only real hassle is reconnecting all my BlueTooth devices. It’s remarkable how easy the process of moving from one Apple mobile device to another is these days.

EDIT: I don't think I mentioned this elsewhere, but thank god the iPad was still under warranty. If it weren't, it would cost me $499 to "fix" it. In this case, fixing it is Apple replacing the entire device. 

• Like 2

After a few years of using an older IPad Air, my new IPad Pro 11inch arrives on Tuesday. I’ll be out of town so won’t be able to play with it until Saturday but looking forward to the upgrade.

• Like 3