LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

I can't picture a scenario where I would feel compelled to put music locally on the iPad that often. I really only download music to the phone for workout/running playlists, and stream podcasts if I am out walking as I have 25GB of monthly data to easily cover that kind of thing. If I were flying, or taking a long train or coach journey, then I might fling some onto the tablet to help conserve the phone's battery usage, but that still would only amount to a few gig of playlists (at most). When used for media consumption I'd really be using the iPad at home over wifi 99% of the time, and since I sadly can't imagine doing any long haul travel in the next 2-3yrs thanks to the impending financial fallout of our current situation I can't really picture needing to store any movies/TV locally on the device either.

The biggest space hog for me may well be certain game apps in which case, and I am not a huge iOS gamer so that's not going to be more than a dozen or so point n' click adventure games and Rollercoaster Tycoon Classic. The whole COVID situation has really delayed any plans I was making for travelling more over the next few years when I foresaw more local storage being potentially beneficial for offloading image/video files to from my camera when away from home, so I do think that if I need a boost I can just revert to a USB stick or external SSD should I suddenly find myself desperately in need, and then go 256 or 512GB someday with a new model.

Still looking at an eye watering £1267 for the 128gb 11" Pro, folio case, Magic Keyboard case and pencil. 🤪😫

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

The biggest space hog for me may well be certain game apps in which case, and I am not a huge iOS gamer so that's not going to be more than a dozen or so point n' click adventure games and Rollercoaster Tycoon Classic.

And just to give you a idea, the biggest game I have on my iPad Pro is Hot Lava at 3.14 GB, followed by Manifold Garden at 3.02 GB. The rest are under 3 GB with most falling in the 1-2 GB range.

12 minutes ago, JFo said:

And just to give you a idea, the biggest game I have on my iPad Pro is Hot Lava at 3.14 GB, followed by Manifold Garden at 3.02 GB. The rest are under 3 GB with most falling in the 1-2 GB range.

I seem to recall Grim Fandango being in the 3.5 range which was on the larger end of point n' click titles. Day of the Tentacle is nearly 3GB too. A demanding strategy title like Rome Total War I see is commands 4GB. I should be fine I think.

ArsTechnica has a story today about a leak of an Apple product supposedly called "Apple Glass" that is sort of a combination of MS HoloLens and Google Glass. Supposedly, it will not have a front facing "RGB" camera, but will instead have other forms of imaging sensors, including LIDAR. Thus avoiding the single biggest issue that doomed Google Glass.

Although HoloLens is not mentioned in the article, it seems like a more direct comparison than Google Glass.

The third big differentiator here is actual augmented reality technology, which would be able to sense the outside world in 3D and overlay information on it. Google Glass didn't do any real augmented reality—it was mostly just a transparent smartphone, meaning it showed a flat screen that was oblivious to what you were looking at and never interacted with the outside world. The future heads-up-display technology we all see in movies, like highlighting an object in your vision and telling you about it or overlying navigation instructions in the 3D world, weren't possible.

To me, the single least likely thing about this whole leak is the name. I can't believe Apple would hang their hat on a tainted product name (in the same category, no less). As many have pointed out in the comments on that article "iGlasses" is far better and far more likely. Even "iSee" would be better.

I actually 100% believe the gist of the leak, though. Apple is all-in on wearables, and this is pretty much the next logical step...especially with their really big push into AR on the iPhone. I have no doubt they've been thinking of this for some time. Whether it comes together as a shipping product is more about the state of the tech than the idea.

No doubt it will face scrutiny over privacy concerns no matter what they do, which it should. I just hope they really have that buttoned up should it come to market.

• Like 1
  • Interesting 1

14 minutes ago, rustyjaw said:

To me, the single least likely thing about this whole leak is the name. I can't believe Apple would hang their hat on a tainted product name (in the same category, no less). As many have pointed out in the comments on that article "iGlasses" is far better and far more likely. Even "iSee" would be better.

Ecamm has a product I use called iGlasses that helps you modify the webcam output on Macs. I wonder if they're in for a payday.

I vote for iFrames :) Regardless of the name, Apple has absolutely knocked it out of the park on their wearables so I would be interested. 

• Like 1

The money they could make off of a range of frame designs, like watch bands, could be insane. 

I'd have to see something like that in reality to convince me it'd be something of value to me. Right now I can't imagine how it could be (and how would I even be able to demo it for myself without a demo unit catered to my glasses prescription?). 

We are surely getting alarmingly close to the day where life is like Minority Report, where ads in stores and on the street target you and your personal tastes directly. 

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

We are surely getting alarmingly close to the day where life is like Minority Report, where ads in stores and on the street target you and your personal tastes directly. 

That could lead to some embarrassing adventures out in public. :bale:

• Like 1

I just picked up the pencil 2 and UAG case. As I won’t be getting the keyboard for awhile. URBAN ARMOR GEAR UAG iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th Gen, 2020) Case Metropolis [Cobalt] Folio Slim Heavy-Duty Tough Multi-Viewing Angles Stand Military Drop Tested Rugged Protective Cover  

I have the UAG cases on my iPhone pro max and my Surface pro and they are built like a tank but still feels lightweight. Really liking it so far on the Pro. I also picked up a silicone cover to match for the pencil.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Well, I've gone and done it.

11" iPad Pro, pencil and keyboard ordered.

Congratulations! I know you'll enjoy it. Or you'll hate it and blame me for convincing you to go with that option instead of the 12.9-inch.

How much storage did you get in the iPad Pro?

On 5/19/2020 at 10:35 AM, Starhawk said:

Ecamm has a product I use called iGlasses that helps you modify the webcam output on Macs. I wonder if they're in for a payday.

Apple has pretty much abandoned the “i” naming scheme for any new products. One of the main reasons is to avoid trademark disputes (there was some renewed lawsuit just the other day over use of the name iPhone). I’d place a pretty big bet on the name being “Apple” something. Apple Glasses makes the most sense (ironically they had legal issues with Apple Records back in the day over the use of the name Apple, and now it’s their trademark issue avoidance). 

• Like 1

Actually, “Apple Glasses,” even though morphologically similar to “Apple Glass,” it does take on quite a separate, and much more specific, meaning. That could be it. This all assumes it’s a product that is far enough along to have a marketing moniker. 

10 hours ago, JFo said:

How much storage did you get in the iPad Pro?

256. Since I went for a third party folio case for £15 vs £80 for Apple’s, the saving practically covered the extra £100 for the bump in storage so I thought why not? Unless a future refresh has something that I simply cannot live without I’d like to think this will serve me 3-4yrs.

I actually got really lucky. I put a camera up for sale on commission with my usual dealer back in February, but inevitably he temporarily had to close up business at his shop and online due to the lockdowns. I figured whenever he re-opened I’d have to have him reduce the price to get it sold, but he re-opened his online store just last week and my camera ended up being one of the first things to sell (and at the original price we agreed a few months back). So not only did that allow me to buy the tablet and accessories, but it also allowed me to splurge on the Airpods Pro as well (I really just want them for my walks/exercise as my PX7’s are my headphones for home).

The cheap folio case and some Anker cables (a usb-c to usb-c for the tablet and a usb-c to lightening so I can use the iPad charger with my phone and airpods) should show up today.

Congratulations on the iPad. I’ve not tried the AirPod Pro, but those RHA TrueConnect buds are something I’m definitely happier with than either regular AirPods or the Beats ones, and I only paid £75. I forget how painfully expensive the alternatives are. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iainl said:

Congratulations on the iPad. I’ve not tried the AirPod Pro, but those RHA TrueConnect buds are something I’m definitely happier with than either regular AirPods or the Beats ones, and I only paid £75. I forget how painfully expensive the alternatives are. 

They were very tempting. I’ve been spoilt by noise cancelling tech with the PX7’s and just can’t go back. I did look at some other alternatives but I quickly realised from watching various videos that I am easily won over by how well integrated the airpods are into the Apple operating systems. Hopefully they are a good fit. 

• Like 1

It must be said that as good a job as they’ve done, the RHAs are useless for multiple devices; Apple’s integration is closer. And I’ve specifically avoided noise cancelling ones for road safety and so people can get my attention in the office. 

Yes, I wouldn't have noise cancelling if I were running near roads (or even if I were walking on a busy street to be honest, though I don't wear earphones in the city anyway), but since you can cycle from off to on, and modes in between with these things these days, I just love having the option. I actually love cycling my PX7's cancellation from off, to medium, to high from time to time and it was quite remarkable the first time I flicked from one operating mode to another like that when I tried them in store.

The transparency mode on the Pros is apparently very good. You can also have a different setting per earpiece which I did not previously know (so you could have noise cancelling off or transparency mode active in your left ear, while having full cancellation activated in your right...etc).

Case and cables arrived.

This was the case I got:

715GBAqXVUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ZtotopCase Magnetic Case. £14.99. Feels really nice. I can hold it and pretend I have the iPad!

The lightening graphic depicted is just to show the magnetic backing. That's not present on the actual case. The interior is a nice protective material. The interior is the only place with their subtle logo too. The front and back are left clean. Assuming the magnet strength and sleep/wake is good then it would seem I found a good bargain. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I didn't comment on that earlier when you were deciding, but I did get 256 on my current one and it basically feels like unlimited space. The main reason I did go for 256 was for the potential to edit photos, but I never did get a workflow down for that. Maybe with the next iOS and Xcode that will start to become more of a reality.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I didn't comment on that earlier when you were deciding, but I did get 256 on my current one and it basically feels like unlimited space. The main reason I did go for 256 was for the potential to edit photos, but I never did get a workflow down for that. Maybe with the next iOS and Xcode that will start to become more of a reality.

I think I’d have been just fine with 128 having crunched the numbers on the size of apps I am likely to use, the media and files I access and how much of it lives in cloud vs locally. With that said, I like the added headroom of just knowing the space is there, you know? Right now, with all these software rumours, like you it felt like the better bet just to cover me in case that stuff does emerge. Procreate files can get pretty big depending on resolution and number of layers too.

I’ll make a point to check my numbers once set up out of curiosity. 

• Like 1

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the rumours of Apple killing the charge port on the phone completely next year?

Personally, I don’t understand why they would consider doing this, nor do I think it is a very good idea. Unless you only ever use the port to charge at night on your bedside table, and never for anything else, I feel like everyone would experience some sort of downside, with no real upside. 

Besides charging and computer data transfer, the port is used in cars and accessories, a cable and small charging block is much easier to transport than a wireless charging puck, and there are many many times were I use my phone in various situations while it is charging which would be made much more difficult with a wireless charger. 

Even my daily routine of placing my phone on a stand next to my bed at night would possibly require some sort of special stand or dock.

The loss of the headphone jack still irks me. The loss is not a daily aggravation as I do use AirPods primarily with my phone, and love them. But if I didn’t have them I think it would drive me nuts, and the few times I’ve had to, or wanted to use wired headphones, it has been an issue. 

My biggest gripe with removing the headphone jack is that there was no real obvious benefit to the consumer. If it had been a “since this has been removed, we can now do this” situation, then I might have gotten on board. But all it really did was allow them a bit more space for haptics and battery.

(Don’t get me started on apologists who treat the headphone jack as some sort of antiquated technology that nobody uses anymore). 

If they do go with this supposed plan to remove the port, I feel it will be the exact same. Greater inconvenience with very little benefit.

I love iPhone, but that could possibly push me over the edge.