LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

I would like to see that just to see how they justify it as "green" tech even though you would decrease charging efficiency by at least 20-30%.

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the rumours of Apple killing the charge port on the phone completely next year?

First question I had when I heard this rumour was what the hell would people be expected to do when travelling? Hotels have USB. So do airports, restaurants, planes, busses...etc. Many like to use external batteries to re-charge if they can’t access mains and US .

The story is they’d use smart connector pins like the iPad pro has, right? We know the Magic Keyboard can power and charge the iPad Pros when connected thanks to the smart connector. For a phone they’d surely have to have a puck based magnetic charger to USB cable (similar to the cable supplies with the watch). That’s the only thing I can think of right now.

I just can’t imagine that they’d be so blind as to not offer the capacity to charge via a cable, but whether they could guarantee it would charge as speedily as a cable directly into a port would I don’t know. 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

First question I had when I heard this rumour was what the hell would people be expected to do when travelling? Hotels have USB. So do airports, restaurants, planes, busses...etc. Many like to use external batteries to re-charge if they can’t access mains and US .

To be fair, with all these examples, with wireless chargers you are still plugging in a device with a cable. In one case you plug in a USB-A to lightning cable, in the other you are plugging in a USB-A to wireless charging puck, so the capability would still be there. 

A lightning, or USB-C cable is certainly easier to transport though. 

I suppose I hadn’t considered the smart connector as my iPad 2 isn’t exactly the latest technology. I wonder if they’d be able to make a lightning to smart connector adapter. 

6 hours ago, Graeme said:

I suppose I hadn’t considered the smart connector as my iPad 2 isn’t exactly the latest technology. I wonder if they’d be able to make a lightning to smart connector adapter. 

It’s Apple, they’ll probably make every kind of cable imaginable, though if this is the route they go I’d hope that they’ll licence the tech for third parties because I absolutely love the Anker cables I received for my phone and iPad yesterday. Don’t know why I went this long with the fragile Apple ones.

Again though, if they do use the smart pins then they’d better be certain it can charge as well and as quickly as what we have now. The additional problem is where they put it. Putting it on the back with a phone like the iPad Pros isn’t great because so many use protective cases (which isn’t relevant on the iPad of course since there’s the usb-c in the base and you’re taking it out of a case if mounting to the magic keyboard anyway), so maybe on a phone it’d be in the base and it’d work like a mini MagSafe connector from the older Macbook Pros? That would be better than a watch like puck come to think of it! 

I’ve only recently, begrudgingly, accepted the need to carry dongles around so I can use an 8 rather than my SE. No way in hell I would buy a phone that couldn’t connect to my wired headphones at all, nor had a data cable for syncing with iTunes. 

That'd be the real F.U from Apple as Graeme supposed, certainly, if there was no way to even use a dongle. I've no idea if the smart connector could channel that signal, but even if it could you need that firm plug in connection so even my magsafe concept would not be suitable. In true Apple fashion my 3.5mm dongle hasn't held up well in the year I've had it, and I get crackling noises and drop outs although I think that's just my bog standard apple earphones withering away in their own right.

I really hope the “Apple is ditching the Lightning port” rumours really just means they are switching to USB-C. 

• Like 2

Airpods Pro arrived a day early. So far I am really impressed with them. Controls are a touch fiddly, and I hadn't anticipated that, unless you go into the controls on an app on a device itself, you have to use hey siri to adjust the volume without having to (I am not a siri user). Fit seems good with both medium and small tips, and I ran the seal test which confirmed both to be a good fit. I'll take them out walking tomorrow morning. 

• Like 1

The 120hz display is just... :banderas:  

You appreciate it even more at home than you do on display in store when you can have it side by side with devices that don't have that refresh rate. I'm really pleased with the sound quality too, though I expected to be good as the sound was very good on the old 9.7" Pro too, but it's step up again here.

My app install tally thus far is coming in at around 30GB, so I actually think 256GB was indeed the way to go as once I start downloading some files locally...etc it's going to build up, and I'm going to have that room to spare if I ever need to offload data from a camera SD card onto the iPad should I need to free up card space again away from home. 

I'm still getting used to all the multi-tasking and split view gestures.

31 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'm still getting used to all the multi-tasking and split view gestures.

Is there a good video or tutorial that covers all of these? I feel like I know all of them, but wonder if I'm forgetting any and might be nice to refresh myself on the use cases. 

I need to youtube for a guide I think, yes.

To do split view, must there be at least one app that you want to use living in the dock? (Seems that way?)

14 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

To do split view, must there be at least one app that you want to use living in the dock? (Seems that way?)

I think so, and this is one scenario I'm wondering if there's a better way. 

1 minute ago, Starhawk said:

Yeah, it presents a few pickles for combinations I might want from time to time. We’ll see what iPad OS brings us I guess.

DELIGHTED with the 11” size by the way. Split view with procreate and a reference image open in the viz ref app is perfectly usable for my needs (and when Procreate is full screen I am basically working with something a little bigger than the sketchbook I like to carry around). I can probably make good use of ‘app spaces’ once I get the hang of multi-tasking. That may be more preferable for 11” users, but many apps I use seem to minimise very nicely in split view.

The whole device is just light enough to regularly hold in one hand when reading comics and PDF’s. It’ll be interesting to see if Apple do roll out some Pro apps to see how they make use of the screen space. It’s crazy thinking about the power beneath the hood here in such a small form factor.

I now anxiously await the keyboard.

• Like 1

Another good YouTube video from Apple Support — this one cover gesture support on the OS.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

46 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

To answer your question, yes, one app must be open for split view — or slide over view — to work. You can't, for instance, have an app open in slide over view on Springboard (i.e. the home screen) nor can you do a split screen with Springboard either.

Sometimes I do find the multi-tasking in iPadOS to be a bit cumbersome, especially if you want to do it with two apps that are not already in your dock. If you don't have the icons in the dock here's how you get multi-tasking to work:

1. Find the first app on your home screen, then tap the icon to open it.
  2. Return to the home screen — in other words, close the app you just opened.
  3. Find the second app and tap the icon to open it.
  4. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to reveal the dock, which should have the icon for the first app in it now.
  5. Tap and drag that icon where you want it, and you can finally work in split screen/slideover. 

If you're lucky and one of the apps you need is already in slide over, you can skip returning Springboard. But I often forget which apps are there, or if I think an app should be in slide over, I go look for it and find that it isn't there anymore.

It's a crazy process when you think about it, and one that I think could be improved upon greatly by Apple.

Congrats Dan, can’t wait to read your thoughts on it after doing some photo editing and everything. Did you already have some external drives to use with it or buying something to dedicate to the iPad? 

Ok, that is precisely my method and I'd wondered if there was an easier way that I was unaware of. Seems like an easy thing to improve for the next iOS version. 

41 minutes ago, JFo said:

To answer your question, yes, one app must be open for split view — or slide over view — to work. You can't, for instance, have an app open in slide over view on Springboard (i.e. the home screen) nor can you do a split screen with Springboard either.

Sometimes I do find the multi-tasking in iPadOS to be a bit cumbersome, especially if you want to do it with two apps that are not already in your dock. If you don't have the icons in the dock here's how you get multi-tasking to work:

Yeah I have Procreate living in my dock, and if I want to use viz-ref (which I won't always), my workflow has to be to open viz ref first, then drag up Procreate from the dock into split view. Not a huge issue, but isn't there an iOS14 rumour about being able to see apps in a list view or something? I'm sure I saw some vlogger talking about that recently. I wonder if for iPad there will be a way to open up one app, and then being up a list view for another app to open alongside it. They basically need to reduce the number of steps required to do some of these tasks. 

32 minutes ago, Magness said:

Congrats Dan, can’t wait to read your thoughts on it after doing some photo editing and everything. Did you already have some external drives to use with it or buying something to dedicate to the iPad? 

I have a Samsung T5 SDD, and a USB-C card reader for SD cards. Without Capture One on iPad though I am really not sure how much photo work I'll do on here, but I have put the Darkroom app on here for iPhone photo editing. If we don't get so much as a hint of Final Cut for iPad in the WWDC stream then I will probably buy Lumafusion and start playing around with 4k video editing and grading on the pad on footage captured with my XS (and with my Fuji Z100V). 

The other app I am eager to see ported to iPad is the Highland writing app. I know it's in the works, but whether it appears this year or not I'm not sure. 

Comics are such a joy to look at on this thing. I wish we had Comixology Unlimited in the UK. I hate how the UK app has references to Unlimited all over it, despite the subscription option having never been made available here. I keep having to check what's available/free on Amazon Kindle that's compatible with Comixology. 

• Like 1

Oh and the UK version of the 18w charger we get with the iPad Pros is ingeniously designed.

No idea how that person has acquired so many. Not sure I want to know. 

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

The 120hz display is just... :banderas:  

You appreciate it even more at home than you do on display in store when you can have it side by side with devices that don't have that refresh rate.

Try this: Go to Settings > Accessibility > Motion and turn on Limit Frame Rate to see the display run at 60 fps. It’s jarring.

• Stunned 1

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

Ok, that is precisely my method and I'd wondered if there was an easier way that I was unaware of. Seems like an easy thing to improve for the next iOS version. 

That means we’ll maybe see it improved in 4 or 5 years then. 

My morning walk with the Airpods Pro was really interesting. I can still hear cars, even birds, with cancellation active, which I am actually really pleased about. Bicycles are hard to hear, and as with any earphones/headphones with this technology you might not hear someone creeping up on you in a busy place, so it would seem unwise to have cancellation active in an area you’re less familiar with a location you’re in, or where you’re are a higher risk of having something stolen...etc.

Switching between off and on I’d say a large part of the noise reduction is in fact coming from the fit and seal of the earpieces themselves, with the cancellation tech then adding another layer. So what you get, or what I am experiencing, is an overall reduction in ambient noise but not a complete block (which again I’d consider a good thing).

What’s fascinating is if you have cancellation active and remove an earpiece you suddenly become aware of the ambient sound of the world pulsing around you that our brains tune out in day to day life. So it’s very easy to understand how well these must perform on a plane in cancelling out the constant ambience in such an environment. Quite how well they work with the sudden clanks and rumbles onboard the London Underground I don’t know, and have no plan to test any time soon given the current circumstances. I had hear they work well even there though.

The best thing though, and the main reason I got them, is that I could walk around listening to podcasts at a quarter volume, whereas on a regular pair I’d be at three quarters, often pushing into the yellow and red danger zones. So for ear health these seem to be a winner. None of the elements that still filter through, like vehicles and birds, require a volume boost because everything from the outside world is normalised so I didn’t find myself reaching to raise and lower the volume when required (in fact I didn’t reach for the volume controls once).

• Like 1