LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

40 minutes ago, JFo said:

So, no talk about an ARM transition for the Mac then?

Well, I suppose they could TALK about it, but not show any of the new products that might be the first to move over. Interestingly the Ming-Chi Kuo rumours are iMac and 13" MBP will be the first which is surprising, so I suppose they could namedrop those products if true, but it seems unlikely they'd reveal anything physical, even simply naming the devices, until they are ready to roll out or else they will cannibalise current sales. It's not like revealing the Mac Pro far in advance since 2013 Mac Pro sales had dried up by that point. Not long until we find out.

I should be able to log into Discord during the presentation so we can rant/rave in real time (full fury rant if we don't get that iPadOS calculator :) )

Fucking finally they have cycling built-in to maps. And they've added some great features around that.

OK, it's official. Since I'm working during the stream, I may have missed it...did they say which Mac models will be using "Apple Silicon" first? I assume it's not an across the board change over from Mini to Mac Pro.

I'm still running my 2012 iMac, which is still going very strong, but the writing is on the wall. A new Mac is on my horizon. It will be interesting to see how these new processors stack up.

No mention of products no, just that the first would launch later this year.

The Ming-Chi Kuo claim is that the first will be 13" Macbook Pro and 24" iMac, and he said late 2020/early 2021 for those, so if he's right on the products I'd guess the iMac will come this year, ushering in the long awaited re-design, and the 13" MBP (perhaps the elusive 14"?) will come early 2021. Perhaps the 27" iMac will and iMac Pros will get the re-design this year too, but remain Intel for a while? Cook did say they have exciting new Intel products on the way at the end there.

It would seem really obvious to me to get new Mac Minis out there too, especially since that's what the dev kits are, but it possibly suits them better to go with a more widely used product first to get it into more hands. I used to think the opposite and had assumed something like the Macbook Air and Mac Mini might go first, but seeing how confident they are I understand the thinking better now.

For those who were not watching, the entire presentation of MacOS was running on an A12Z, same chip from the current iPad Pros. That chip will be shipping in the dev kits. It was shown chewing through 5GB photoshop files with a few dozen layers and effects, as well as taking 4k video with effects filters being dropped in (in real time) in its stride in Final Cut Pro. Final Cut was also shown running three streams of 4k pro res at once. The chip even ran Maya and Shadow of the Tomb Raider, two apps not coded for the new silicon, under Rosetta.

It was noted that the silicon for the computers when they ship will be a custom "family of SOCs specifically for the Mac product line," however, so they will be a special class of their own as I had wondered in the past. I'll still be keen to see if they offer dedicated AMD GPUs with these products. External GPUs don't seem to cover every base for certainly requirements and applications. It's perhaps even possible the temperature and power performance of these chips allows dedicated GPUs back into the Mac Mini, and to go into a 13"/14" MBP.

While we never did get confirmation of Pro apps for iPadOS, the fact Final Cut and Logic are running right there at the end on the same silicon is the best hint yet that we can surely expect them some day. 

It was interesting that we saw a Linux VM running, but there was no mention at all of Windows and Bootcamp.

A lot of the Home Screen stuff is very, very welcome. That's been needed for years now. 

• Like 1

I really like the custom start page in Safari. I wonder if that's going to carry over to iPadOS 14.

Everything shown for Big Sur looked great really. I was surprised they didn't add the option to use Sign up with Apple on MacOS though. Is there any particular reason why they haven't done that? Would seem like a logical thing to offer I'd have thought.

Control Centre on MacOS is very welcome. Notification Centre is a huge upgrade. I thought that looked terrific.

iOS changes with the widgets, PiP...etc, all looked good too.

There are some good changes incoming. I’m most excited about the PiP for video. I’ve never understood why they didn’t have this on the phones soon after iPad.

I hope that it works (or can work) in 3rd party apps as I do most of my video watching in YouTube and Plex. I suppose it would be the same as on iPad. 

There is always a feature or two that I get excited about that I never end up using as they don’t work how I expected or how I want. The App Library and Widgets seem like it could be that this year. We shall see. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

iOS/iPadOS 14 preview webpage reveals users can set third party mail and web browser apps as their default:

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-14-preview/

https://www.apple.com/ipados/ipados-preview/

Also a looong time coming. I'm impressed with these little bothersome things they are finally fixing. 

• Like 1

Haven’t had a chance to watch this iOS14 hands on in its entirety yet but his videos about this stuff are usually comprehensive:

WatchOS:

I might install the public beta on my 6s when it comes out, just to see how it functions. 

Wow, I didn't know the banner-type Phone Call interface was going to be like that on iPhone too. That's huge. ANOTHER thing they should have done years ago, but glad to finally have it. 

It's been like that for so long, I forgot how I'm accustomed to just dealing with it. 

I hope they have an option to keep the full screen call. Not for myself, but I know when Android started doing that type of call notification, there were a subset of users that didn’t like it. 

I feel like my in-laws would prefer the full screen. 

I’m really looking forward to the updates for iPhone and watchOS the most this time - more than iPadOS simply because I feel like iPads are already in great shape. I’m happy with most of the updates and it all looks solid but, the new watch features stand out the most to me since it is my most used device second to the iPad.

Software updates aside, I can’t wait to see A12 chip Mac’s and performance numbers. The iPads were already competitive with the Intel i5/i7 range so I’m really curious to see an A12 with virtually no thermal constraints :)

2 hours ago, Magness said:

I’m really looking forward to the updates for iPhone and watchOS the most this time

What specifically about WatchOS are you looking forward to? I actually stopped watching during the Watch part and the recap I watched didn’t mention much except for the custom faces. Is that the main update?

I thought the actual production of the event was fantastic. Great locations, fantastic transitions slick editing with multi camera/multi shot cuts with a really fast paced but informative package. 

I was glad to see Marques Brownlee mention this in his impressions video. 

I’m sure they’ll go back to stage presentations when they can, but I wonder if they might mix in more prerecorded segments. 

It will be interesting to see what they’d do with iPhone in the fall if they still can’t host an event. 

• Like 2