LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

Yes, the adaptive support came up during the presentation. Most excellent. I’d still argue that’s the best thing to have come out of this gaming generation. 

4 hours ago, Graeme said:

What specifically about WatchOS are you looking forward to? I actually stopped watching during the Watch part and the recap I watched didn’t mention much except for the custom faces. Is that the main update?

Sleep tracking seems to be the big addition to WatchOS this year. 

One cool new thing I just found out watching Marques Brownlee’s impressions was that there is a new accessibility feature that allows you to customize an action to a double and/or triple tap on the back of the phone. It can be mapped to a Siri shortcut, so it could be used for just about anything. 

There is also an option to turn on a gyroscope indicator when taking a night mode photo to help you keep the phone steady. 

I’m just surprised the Apple TV doesn’t already support other sorts of Xbox controller; I thought that they’d “just work” as part of Supporting the regular one, which has worked for some time. 

The watchOS updates that were a big deal for me are native sleep tracking and the new complications options. Sharing faces is a cool one but I’m not sure I’ll use it much. Complications though I use all the time - they are great and you can add/remove what you want to most faces but, you can’t tweak the complication itself much so the new options to have multiple versions of a complication and for more to support different positions, sizes, etc looks really good. My one big reservation is the loss of force touch. I don’t use it for lots of different things but, I specifically use that to clear notifications all the time...

It was good to see sleep tracking integrated via the OS and not require a new model of watch.

I’m quite tempted by the watch lately. I’m struggling to think what 2020 models could being to the table.

Yea I originally thought the series 3 was just about the perfect watch but, now my mind has changed and I’d say the series 5 is. The 3 still has better battery life at 3 days (assuming limited workout tracking, etc) and it costs less even with cellular but, I love the always on display, the better and brighter display, the larger screen in the same size chassis and the extra health features on the 5 now - I wouldn’t do without those features any more. The screen difference is a massive one and all that with 2 day battery life (same assumptions) including sleep tracking via Autosleep has been perfect for me. This is already the best smart watch by miles so, if they improve the sleep tracking or can get any more efficiency out of the battery in watchOS 7 then I’d argue they don’t need a series 6 this year at all and to wait till 2021 to release it. 

It seems blood oxygen readings is thought to be one of the notable hardware changes expected this year (apparently iOS14 has references to it in the coding). That could be interesting.

I still really only want one for fitness and sleep I think, but then my Garmin is perfectly fine at both and even after two and a half years gives me a nine day battery. All that said, I love my airpods pro, and chance to workout or run without fiddling with the phone, having music playlists on the Apple Watch...etc. It’s still tempting.

• Like 1

I don't like the translucent task bar on Big Sur. I wonder if there's a setting to make it solid? Think I prefer the current round Apple app icons in the dock too, but I accept that they are trying to unify the icons between iOS/iPad OS and MacOS.

It's curious that they decided not to let you move widgets onto your home page on iPadOS as on the phone. 

Via Macrumors, no huge surprise here:

Rosetta Won't Support x86 Virtualization Apps Running Windows

Rosetta is meant to provide developers with time to create native versions of apps, and there are a few limitations that are worth noting. As outlined in developer documentation shared this week, while Rosetta will be able to translate most Intel-based apps, it will not work with Virtual Machine apps that virtualize x86_64 computer platforms.

That means Apple's future Macs with Apple-designed chips will not natively support running current versions of software like VMWare or Parallels to run x86 Windows within the virtualization software. Other native solutions may appear, but will require efforts from 3rd party developers.

Right now, Macs have a Boot Camp feature that allows Windows to be run on them, but Apple has announced no similar feature for Macs equipped with Apple silicon. Kernel extensions also aren't able to be translated by Rosetta.

Rosetta can translate most Intel-based apps, including apps that contain just-in-time (JIT) compilers. However, Rosetta doesn't translate the following executables:

- Kernel extensions
- Virtual Machine apps that virtualize x86_64 computer platforms

Rosetta translates all x86_64 instructions, but it doesn't support the execution of some newer instruction sets and processor features, such as AVX, AVX2, and AVX512 vector instructions. If you include these newer instructions in your code, execute them only after verifying that they are available. For example, to determine if AVX512 vector instructions are available, use the sysctlbyname function to check the hw.optional.avx512f attribute.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/23/rosetta-wont-support-x86-virtualization-windows/

I always love Gruber’s WWDC Talk Shows, especially the ones with Craig. This should be a fun watch/listen. 

• Like 1

They're promising OS support for Intel for many years to come (I'd wager at least five), but yes, eventually the Hackintosh will become a thing of the past.

I’m hoping the shift to Apple SoC’s will lead to virtualization apps being adapted to ARM/Apple chips but it also looks like Intel Macs will be staying around for a while for Pro devices. A few of these previews have specifically mentioned that virtualization won’t be supported on Apple chips as it’s x86 based but, that won’t affect Intel (or potentially AMD) based machines . And if they do develop support for virtualization of Windows, etc on ARM architectures then all the better. I love the idea of being able to run a VM directly on an iPad Pro or something in a few more years. 

edit: and @Angry the Clown beat me to the Intel point :) but, it’s good that they will exist side by side for a few years. 

I installed the iOS 14 public beta on my old 6s tonight. Played around with it as much as I could. 

App library should be a nice feature for those who have lots of apps installed. It seems to work well and can just give you access to lists of apps instead of the randomness that the current home screen offers. One nice option is that you can now choose to not have new apps installed to the Home screens at all and go to the Library. For those that want to keep things organized themselves this is a great feature as it gives you the chance to move it where you want from the Library. 

Widgets on the homescreens are nice, but it is hard to tell just how useful they will be. Functionality seems somewhat limited (ie you can’t pause, play or skip tracks in the Music widget). The widgets screen still exists with the ability to have the different sized widgets as the home screen. Some of them seemed kinda of broken or slow to update, but that could have been something with that phone. 

Picture in Picture video is exactly what I wanted. I really hope the YouTube app gets updated to allow this, or I’m just going to have to start using the browser version. 

It’s so weird going back to a phone with a home button and no notch.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Graeme said:

Picture in Picture video is exactly what I wanted. I really hope the YouTube app gets updated to allow this, or I’m just going to have to start using the browser version. 

Considering the iPad version of the YouTube app doesn't support it, I wouldn't hold my breath. Unless you pay for YouTube Premium, Google doesn't even let users multi-task while a video is playing. You have to keep it on screen in some way to continue watching. And even if you do pay as I do, the app still doesn't support picture-in-picture like you expect from every other video playback app available.

Hell, Google just now finally added split screen support to the Gmail app on iPad this past week.. John Gruber has some thoughts on it:

Feel free to file Google’s release this week of an update to their iPad Gmail app with support for split-screen multitasking under “better late than never”, but this is so late it borders on the absurd. It’s like the difference between showing up fashionably late and showing up a week after the party. Split-screen multitasking was introduced for the iPad back in 2015 with iOS 9. Five years to add support for a foundational element of the iPad user experience. And an email client is near the top of the list of the type of apps where someone would want to use split-screen. Five years.

Google makes a lot of software with terrible user experiences for users who have poor taste. Their iOS software, in particular, has for the most part never suggested that it was designed by people who like — or even use — iOS. It’s the blind leading the blind. But yet the Gmail app is currently the number one free app in the Productivity category in the App Store.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JFo said:

Considering the iPad version of the YouTube app doesn't support it, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Oh I’m  not holding my breath for a second, since I am aware of this. I am a bit hopeful that maybe the influx of people having access to PiP may make a difference in Google supporting it. 

I also subscribe to YT premium and would be fine if they made it a premium feature to at the very least, discourage people from cancelling premium. 

I gave up on YouTube for iPad a while ago, I use CornerTube now. PiP for everything and a search box and it integrates with the share button so it’s awesome but, no 4K. 

• Interesting 1