LCVG

Apple Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I've gone and done it.   11" iPad Pro, pencil and keyboard ordered. iPad and pencil will hopefully be with me next week as I ordered them from John Lewis (UK department store) as they

One thing I haven’t mentioned on LCVG at all is that I recently got a new job. Today was my first day there, and now that this has become a reality, I went ahead and ordered an iPhone Pro. One of the

I got my keyboard.  GAME CHANGER for me.  I’m lounging on couch typing this, very very comfortably.  The iPad is very stable on my lap.  The keys feel great and are a great size, I have a 16” MBP at w

Posted Images

Some custom Apple GPU rumours from Macrumors via way of China Times:

According to relevant sources, Apple's self-developed GPU is progressing smoothly. The research and development code is Lifuka. Like the upcoming A14X processor, it is produced using TSMC's 5nm process. Apple has designed a series of processors for Mac personal computers. The new GPU will provide better performance per watt and higher computing performance. It has tile-based deferred rendering technology that allows application developers to write more powerful professional application software and game software.

• Like 1

This makes sense and lines up with Apple and Imagination working their differences out earlier this year. Apple GPU’s have been a very strongpoint for them in mobiles, I can only imagine a desktop class part will be very good at very low power/thermals. 

It would seem to suggest that they will be deferring to the GPU of the system on chips that will go into their devices that don't currently offer a dGPU, which I think is a shame, at least as far as the Mac Mini is concerned as it would be nice to see it have a dedicated GPU again. Still, given the tease we've seen of what an underclocked iPad Pro A12Z chip in the Mac Mini devkit is apparently capable of, and knowing the SoCs that will go into actual shipping products will be a further step up having been designed specifically for desktop and laptop computer applications and performance expectations, then we should still except far better performance from professional applications even on a device like a Macbook Air, let alone a 13/14" Macbook Pro compared to what we have today.  This could also be why, if rumours are true, the smaller iMac will get Apple Silicon first ahead of the larger higher performance models, as perhaps they consider whatever SoC going into the smaller iMac to be powerful enough to cater to the market that model has previously appealed to, without the need to ever offer a dGPU option as they do right now.

If neither the Macbook Air or Macbook Pro 13" are to get a dGPU it will be interesting to see how they differentiate the performance between those two products, though rumours suggest we'll see the return of the plain Macbook this year, and perhaps the aim is for a Macbook and Macbook Air to run off the same chips as iPad Pros, a hypothetical A14X for example, while the Macbook Pro 13" would be the entry point into Apple laptops that boast a dedicated chipset (but perhaps still no dGPU).

Deeper Controller Support and a Revitalized Game Center: Exploring Apple’s 2020 Gaming Updates

Here’s a nice bit of news regarding iOS and iPadOS 14:

At WWDC, Apple announced support for two new Microsoft controllers. The first is the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Microsoft’s high-end controller that retails for $180. Apple also announced support for the Xbox Adaptive Controller, a highly-customizable controller that makes gaming more accessible for gamers with limited mobility. Although I haven’t tried either controller myself, both are highly-regarded, which should make them excellent additions to the lineup of controllers available for gaming on the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV.

The new controllers also show off Apple’s extended support for the unique characteristics of each model. The Elite Wireless Controller’s paddles are supported, for example. Also supported are the light bar, touchpad, gyroscope, and accelerometer of the DualShock 4 controller. Haptics and rumble are supported, too, allowing game developers to make use of them in their games for the first time.

Additionally, mouse and keyboard support for games will be greatly expanded in the new OSes, as well the ability to remap buttons. Unfortunately, the latter does not extend to the Mac for some reason.

• Like 1

Apple event confirmed for the 15th. I’m curious to see if they are going to have the combined Apple service subscription (ATV+AMusic+Arcade) that has been rumored. Can’t say I’m too interested in new hardware just yet for myself but, maybe. 

My mom is looking to get an Apple Watch Series 5 for her birthday, so the timing of this event is perfect. 

[EDIT: And the event is on her birthday too, making it even better.]

Before she can do that though, she needs to get a new iPhone. She’s still using a 6, which is too old to work with the watch. 

I’ve heard new iPad Air may be announced at the same time. Is the base model iPad set for a refresh as well?

This looks great for Gmail users who like the Apple Mail interface:https://mimestream.com

Former Apple Engineer Introduces Native Gmail Client for Mac With Multi-Account Support, System Notifications, and More

by Joe Rossignol

Neil Jhaveri, a former Apple engineer who worked on the company's default Mail app, has introduced a new Gmail client for macOS.

Available in beta, Mimestream is a native app written in Swift and designed with AppKit and SwiftUI for a clean, stock appearance. Jhaveri says the app is designed to be fast, lightweight, and use a minimal amount of disk space.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/09/10/mimestream-native-gmail-client-mac/

• Like 1

Based on my Twitter timeline, it sounds like developers are pretty pissed off about the surprise release of all these operating systems.

No Big Sur release date either. I wonder if we’ll hear more about that at the fabled October event where they will surely introduce the new iPhones as well.

Just now, JFo said:

Based on my Twitter timeline, it sounds like developers are pretty pissed off about the surprise release of all these operating systems.

Interesting. I had 18+ app updates today which seems to always happen days before a new OS rolls out. 

7 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Interesting. I had 18+ app updates today which seems to always happen days before a new OS rolls out. 

Yeah, but they usually get a Golden Master release to make sure their app updates work correctly. They also need time to submit the apps and have them approved. So, yeah, they're pissed.

• Interesting 1

Looking over the numbers, I think I will sign up for the Apple One Family Plan. I already subscribe to Apple Music (Family Plan at $14.99/month), Apple Arcade ($50/year or $4.17/month), and I get 200 GB of iCloud storage ($2.99/month). We also have Apple TV+, but we are still in the free year trial period, thanks to the Apple TV 4K I purchased last fall. Once we hit November though, we will start paying $4.99/month. In all, that’s $22.15/month (not including tax), which would jump to $27.14/month in November if we let the Apple TV+ subscription renew.

So, for $19.95/month I can get all of the same services I get right now and save a few bucks in the process. Plus, everyone in my family would get 200GB of iCloud data instead of just me, which is a plus since all of us have iPads. My boys might not make much use out of it, but at least we don’t have enough space to back up their devices, which is very nice because then they don’t have to borrow some of my 200 GB in order to do so.

• Like 1

Did they really not say anything about new iPhones yet?

New Air is gorgeous. But too much for me.

New base iPad is much more like my budget, and I’ll certainly recommend my Mum gets one rather than the Kindle Fire she’s struggling with at the moment. 

Watches are both very pretty. They’re also no better than any other release on battery life, which is crazy when they finally have a sleep cycle monitor you can’t use because that’s when you charge it every day. 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Was that pleasing for those of you into the Watch? I'm still on the fence about getting one anytime soon, but I do like the ever advancing health features. 

I'm looking forward to the iPhone/Pad and TV OS releases tomorrow. 

Yes, that definitely moved the needle for me. I was already leaning heavily toward upgrading my Series 3 but the blood-oxygen monitoring pushes me over the edge.

I was pretty impressed with the watch update but, I’m happy with my 5 so will stick with it. It’s a great update to the 5 any way you look at it but, I do wish they would continue pushing battery life further. Regardless, the watchOS 7 update is a good improvement for mine too - can’t wait to load it tomorrow :) 

2 hours ago, JFo said:

So, for $19.95/month I can get all of the same services I get right now and save a few bucks in the process. Plus, everyone in my family would get 200GB of iCloud data instead of just me...

Okay, so the more I read about this, the more I believe the above isn’t the case. If I understand it correctly, the 200 GB of iCloud storage you get with the Family Plan does not grant each member 200 GB of data. It gives the entire family a single pool of 200 GB to share between them.

If so, I can tell you this will not work for us. It turns out my wife has her own 200 GB plan as well, mostly to accommodate her iCloud photo library. Between the two of us, we would definitely exceed the 200 GB offered with the Apple One Family Plan.

Fortunately, it sounds like you will be able to upgrade the storage plan within the Apple One subscription itself for an additional cost. We just don’t know exactly how much it will be. So, the savings may still be there for us — especially since both my wife and I are are paying $2.99/month for iCloud storage — but it may not be as much as I had originally anticipated.