LCVG

Apple Discussion Thread

19 minutes ago, kelley said:

We are going with the Premier plan. We already spend more than $30 a month on Apple Services. 

Yeah, it will depend on how much the upgrade is for the extra iCloud storage. As it stands, we would be paying about $30 anyway for all the services if I add in my wife’s iCloud storage.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I've gone and done it.   11" iPad Pro, pencil and keyboard ordered. iPad and pencil will hopefully be with me next week as I ordered them from John Lewis (UK department store) as they

One thing I haven’t mentioned on LCVG at all is that I recently got a new job. Today was my first day there, and now that this has become a reality, I went ahead and ordered an iPhone Pro. One of the

I got my keyboard.  GAME CHANGER for me.  I’m lounging on couch typing this, very very comfortably.  The iPad is very stable on my lap.  The keys feel great and are a great size, I have a 16” MBP at w

Posted Images

14 hours ago, JFo said:

Yeah, it will depend on how much the upgrade is for the extra iCloud storage. As it stands, we would be paying about $30 anyway for all the services if I add in my wife’s iCloud storage.

Just wait until your kids really get going. Allowing up to 5 is a bargain.

I'm seriously considering dropping spotify family, since my wife is interested on fitness+ (which is 9.99 apparently stand-alone). So $15 (spotify family) + 10 (fitness+) + 3 (icloud 200GB family we currently use) = $28, vs $30 for One Premier.

So for $2 extra, I get 1.8TB extra of iCloud storage, access to apple tv+ and apple news+ - that seems like a pretty good deal to me.

My wife told me at dinner tonight she wants to get our kid one of the Apple Watches with the family option and mobile calling. She had read about it online somewhere and thought it would be a good idea.

Youtube 4k doesn't seem to work on ATV yet. 4k tags appear when browsing, but if you bring up the navigation bar, click the vertical dots and then the 'HD' button there's no 4k resolution listed, only 1080p. I'm assuming Youtube needs to update their app?

Haven't had much time with the iOS devices. I definitely think I like the concept of the widgets, and especially the smart stacks, but hopefully in time we'll see more third party widgets. The smart stack is a particularly welcome idea as I feel I can de-clutter my layout a lot. I think I like having the medium and full width stack up top as it means not having to reach up to the top of the page for regular app access since they're bumped down by two spaces.

Shame we cannot manually select what folders to put apps in the App Library menu page. 

9 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I also think that not brining the custom widget layouts and app library to the iPad was a stupid decision. 

Wait, the home screen widgets aren't on iPad? I've only been running the public beta on my phone, and while I like the widgets there, I've been thinking all along how much nicer they will be on the iPad. Doh!

I have to assume it's just a matter of time, then

1 minute ago, rustyjaw said:

Wait, the home screen widgets aren't on iPad? I've only been running the public beta on my phone, and while I like the widgets there, I've been thinking all along how much nicer they will be on the iPad. Doh!

Sidebar only on the iPad. 

I really don't understand their thinking. 

I’m having apps lock up frequently since the update. Have to kill them and restart. The screen even froze up when I received a call and I was unable to get it into speakerphone like I normally would. 

edit: It even locked up going from messages to the phone. I rebooted it and it seems better so far.  We’ll see. 

It's been OK on my XS so far. I did notice one bug with the square version of the world clock where it wasn't displaying my personal choices, whereas it does for the wider rectangular version (but that's the version I wanted to use anyway). 

The option to tap the back of the phone twice or three times to activate an app or a part of the control interface is really neat. You have to go to Settings > Accessibility > Tap Touch. I HATE saying "hey siri" out loud, but can set it to activate with the tap feature if I wanted. It might actually encourage me to use Siri. 

ios14 and watchos7 has been good for me so far. No crashes and all of my apps are working normally so far but, battery life seems to be shorter. It may just be me messing with both devices more the past few days though. 

On 9/17/2020 at 1:37 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Spatial audio with the Airpods Pro is really quite effective. It's made me smile a few times testing it. I can't seem to get auto switching between devices to work with the Airpods though. Is there something I'm missing?

My favorite feature of iOS/iPadOS 14 so far has been the auto device switching for AirPods. If you're running the latest OS and using the same iCloud account on all your devices, it should just happen automatically. For example, if I'm playing a YouTube video on my iPad with my AirPods Pro, starting a video on Netflix on my iPhone will pause the YouTube video on my iPad and automatically switch the AirPods Pro to the Netflix video on my iPhone. On rare occasions, the auto switch doesn't happen until I force-quit the app and restart it. I don't think all apps support this as it's never worked for me in Amazon Music (it will automatically switch away from Amazon Music but not to it).

8 hours ago, PHiL said:

My only thing i noticed is in Location Services. Where alot of my apps automatically switched to using my precise location when not in use. Usually your asked. So i shut them all off .

357F65FC-B8BC-4591-85CA-C162454E671D.jpeg

Tracking requests is off by default in the privacy settings too. 

6 hours ago, MastaRedSnappa said:

My favorite feature of iOS/iPadOS 14 so far has been the auto device switching for AirPods. If you're running the latest OS and using the same iCloud account on all your devices, it should just happen automatically. For example, if I'm playing a YouTube video on my iPad with my AirPods Pro, starting a video on Netflix on my iPhone will pause the YouTube video on my iPad and automatically switch the AirPods Pro to the Netflix video on my iPhone. On rare occasions, the auto switch doesn't happen until I force-quit the app and restart it. I don't think all apps support this as it's never worked for me in Amazon Music (it will automatically switch away from Amazon Music but not to it).

OK, I've got it working between my iPad and iPhone. It doesn't seem to work with switching between those and the Apple TV though which is where I was trying it initially. It doesn't trigger with MacOS either, though that could change when Big Sur is out I suppose. It's weird that the ATV doesn't seem to have auto switching. Maybe it's a shortcoming of the internal chipset in the current 4k model? It doesn't support spatial audio either.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:58 PM, Angry the Clown said:

OK, I've got it working between my iPad and iPhone. It doesn't seem to work with switching between those and the Apple TV though which is where I was trying it initially. It doesn't trigger with MacOS either, though that could change when Big Sur is out I suppose. It's weird that the ATV doesn't seem to have auto switching. Maybe it's a shortcoming of the internal chipset in the current 4k model? It doesn't support spatial audio either.

I tried it on my Apple TV and it didn't work for me either (I have the 1080p Apple TVs).