LCVG

Apple Discussion Thread

I’ve only had my XS since July of last year. Had 2020 been a normal year I’d have considered the upgrade but am happy to wait.

Next year seems unlikely to present the opportunity too however as I feel I can only go one more year with my 2014 Macbook pro before wanting to fix myself up with a desktop solution of some kind, which is either going to come via way of building a PC, or seeing whether an Apple Silicon iMac or Mac mini can deliver what I need (in terms of performance and native software support). I’m also going to need to build myself an unraid server in the near future as I’m sick and tired of having drives lying around and always having to hook things up to the MBP. So I’ve an expensive computing year ahead I think.

My phone is really a pocket organiser and iPod/podcast player these days. It’s always nice to have a better camera, but I have a great dedicated camera and the XS camera is still good (it’s not like I can get out many places taking the kind of photos I like to take in the current hellscape anyway). 

So really it’s looking likely that I may not upgrade until 2022. I can probably make that work, but could foresee having to get a new battery between now and then perhaps, as while I only got my XS last summer the battery health is at 85% right now which seems like quite a drop in the first year of ownership.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I've gone and done it.   11" iPad Pro, pencil and keyboard ordered. iPad and pencil will hopefully be with me next week as I ordered them from John Lewis (UK department store) as they

One thing I haven’t mentioned on LCVG at all is that I recently got a new job. Today was my first day there, and now that this has become a reality, I went ahead and ordered an iPhone Pro. One of the

Good news, fellas! It looks like I may be able to afford that new Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR after all. My Barclaycard with Apple Rewards just increased my credit limit to $11,500!  

Posted Images

I think that's what will help me wait another two years really, the fact that I've got all these other devices in use. I definitely wish I could settle on a desktop solution sooner rather than later though as I'm still in this awkward place straddling between my laptop and my iPad Pro when I know I could be using the iPad more. 

I put a new SSD in my iMac about a year ago, and I've had sluggish problems with occasional beach balls and where it feels like the I/O is saturated, but I'm looking my iStat menus and it should be fine. I've heard it might need a new SATA cable.

Anyone had experience where this was the solution? I don't want to take the screen off of this thing again just to experiment. 

1 hour ago, kelley said:

Maybe it’s because there’s a bunch of new video game hardware out this year, but this thread is quiet for an iPhone announcement day. 

I'm to the point where I need a new iPhone rather than want one. Still rocking a 6s. I figured I would to with the iPhone 12 Pro, but I think I might just to with the iPhone 12.

Yea, nothing in the announcement changed my mind - I’m happy with mine and just don’t need an upgrade so sticking with the X unless work makes us grab 12’s. It looks like a great phone and really good upgrade to be fair with lots of options which is great but, I like the X I already have and I have 0 issues with it still. And, as I said in the post earlier in the week - it’s more of a hub/modem than a daily driver for me these days anyway. 

2 hours ago, Starhawk said:

I'm to the point where I need a new iPhone rather than want one. Still rocking a 6s. I figured I would to with the iPhone 12 Pro, but I think I might just to with the iPhone 12.

I do think that if the camera enhancements on the Pro are not of huge appeal then one might as well just go for the regular model, particularly now everything is OLED across the board. Hopefully if the Pros go 120hz in 2021, they will have the regular and mini get the same benefit. I actually find the Mini quite appealing but I suspect the battery will be a little way behind the larger models.

I love the blue of both the 12 and 12 Pro (particularly the 12).

1 hour ago, Magness said:

Yea, nothing in the announcement changed my mind - I’m happy with mine and just don’t need an upgrade so sticking with the X unless work makes us grab 12’s. It looks like a great phone and really good upgrade to be fair with lots of options which is great but, I like the X I already have and I have 0 issues with it still. And, as I said in the post earlier in the week - it’s more of a hub/modem than a daily driver for me these days anyway. 

I'm much the same. Happy to let my XS go another couple of years, much as I like the camera enhancements on the 12 Pro. By 2022 that year's phone will probably have a notable every day performance bump over my XS I suspect, because right now I keep seeing them hype these amazing new A chips every year but I'm still not seeing software that fully makes use of all that horsepower, but then I'm not really longing for apps on such a small device that benefit from such power in the first place. The cameras benefit from leveraging all that computational power, clearly, and sure, games too, but I don't game on my phone so that's not really a selling point for me.

I could honestly see a phone I buy in 2022 being a purchase I hold onto for five years without feeling like I am being left behind given that the iPhone is 90% phone come personal organiser for me. Durability and battery life are probably the most enticing factors now when it comes to upgrading in future really as, while I'll always welcome camera improvements since the phone is typically the camera I will always have on me, I still prefer using dedicated cameras.

Still, it brings me back to wondering just how in the world they will scale up the chipset improvements with Apple Silicon Macs from the Macbook Air, to Macbook Pro, to iMac...etc because, again, if the damn chip in the phone can both shoot and edit 10 bit 4k HDR up to 60fps, you'd have to imagine that even the most basic bottom of the chain Apple Silicon notebook (let's say an Air, or the return of the regular Macbook for example) will be able to do the same, particularly when we know the 12Z chipset in the iPad Pro and Mac Mini devkits can run an ultra high res image file with dozens and dozens of layers in Photoshop and multiple 4k streams in Final Cut with ease. So what will the Macbook Pros and iMacs offer on top of that kind of performance to justify their cost I wonder? I am excited to see. I feel pretty confident about Apple Silicon Mac CPU performance. It's GPU where I really think they now need to prove themselves in the Macbook Pros and desktops.

9 hours ago, kelley said:

Maybe it’s because there’s a bunch of new video game hardware out this year, but this thread is quiet for an iPhone announcement day. 

I certainly don’t have any extra money to set aside for new Apple purchases this for this reason. That’s for sure. Also, I just bought my iPhone XS about a year and a half ago, so it’s a bit early for me to be upgrading. The plan is to maybe get the new model in fall 2021, though I’m not fully committed to that yet.

As for Home Pod mini, I’m an audiophile. Get that shit outta here!

I’ve spent a ridiculous amount of money getting ready for the console releases and the ensuing changeover of equipment in my a/v rack (I usually time major upgrades to new console releases.) I’m not going to go broke but the guilt alone makes me more hesitant to spend $1k on a new phone, even though the battery in my 8 is dying a conspicuous death.

The funny thing with Apple's chipsets is they've been so good in the last few years that people are clearly holding onto their devices for longer, and I wonder how much that will become true even for professional users with Apple Silicon Macs when they arrive because right now, while I don't doubt they will continue making year on year advances with their chipsets, I am uncertain how often those advances will offer tangible benefit to the user over the course of 3-5yrs. At least with the Macs there will be more software that can command the kind of power Apple are putting into their silicon designs. I still lament the lack of professional software available for the iPads because the Pros, and even the new Air, have masses on untapped power beneath the hood simply by virtue of the fact there isn't enough software out there to take maximum advantage of it. You'd think Apple would lead by design in this respect, and bring versions of Final Cut and Logic to iPad, but we're still waiting. 

With the phones, again, it kind of feels like the most advancements I might find myself really looking for in future will be primarily related to durability and battery performance. I certainly love the added coating on the new phones, and the improved dust/water proof ratings. I'll be keen to see the new screen coatings put to the test.

My XS max is now 2 years old and is still plenty fast and no slouch on photos though the low light capabilities for the 11 and above are enticing. It already does a bit of HDR as well. My battery health states 90% capacity.

Its already plenty strong for me, it managed to survive my cycling fall where the only the back cracked (I’ve hidden it by slapping a silicon case on it).

Also I want to see 5G cook for at least this generation. 5G stand-alone is still not a thing I want to see real person field reports (specially on ATT) to see how well it behaves in terms of battery and network handoffs.

Same with me and the XS Max.  Although the battery life has taken a bit of a hit, I'm wanting to make it couple more years before upgrading.  The Blue on the Pro's is really nice.  

Was hoping to see the Airpod Studio's at this event.  Curious if they will get announced before the end of the year.

I may bite on the Homepod Mini, next month.

The iPhone 12s are an impressive lineup of phones, and certainly their presentation did everything it could to hype them up. I really love the square design and the new colours look great, but there just isn’t much to get excited about if you have a phone that is at least a few years old. We’re really at a point where people are getting new phones when they need to, and not because they want to. 

Obviously they think 5G is the killer feature this year, but I just don’t think it is the driver they hope it will be. The change from 3G to LTE was transformative, where the network speeds on your mobile network were as fast (if not better than) your home wifi. The change to 5G feels more like a convenience and a nice to have, rather than a game changer. 

The 12 Mini is a nice surprise as it is exactly the phone that I have been hoping they would make for years.... but I won’t be buying one. Not right now at least. I’m perfectly happy with my XR, and won’t be upgrading any time soon. When I do, I’m really not sure what size I will want. 

The drop test videos this year should be fun. 

The HomePod mini seems nice, has some cool looking features (that I’m not convinced will work or be practical in the real world) and I think it could be a nice alternative for those that won’t buy an Echo or Google Nest. The problem is, are there enough of those people? I have an Echo Dot and 2 unopened Nest Minis, all of which I got for free. I’m not rushing to spend $100 on a similar product just because it is from Apple.