LCVG

Apple Discussion Thread

I need to switch carriers in order to combine my house internet, my wife's phone, and my phone. This will allow us to save some money in the long run, I might go with the iPhone 12 mini. Like several of you said, my phone is just a phone and a modem for my other devices for when I travel, again someday.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I've gone and done it.   11" iPad Pro, pencil and keyboard ordered. iPad and pencil will hopefully be with me next week as I ordered them from John Lewis (UK department store) as they

One thing I haven’t mentioned on LCVG at all is that I recently got a new job. Today was my first day there, and now that this has become a reality, I went ahead and ordered an iPhone Pro. One of the

Good news, fellas! It looks like I may be able to afford that new Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR after all. My Barclaycard with Apple Rewards just increased my credit limit to $11,500!  

Posted Images

Just back in civilization after being engrossed in Olympic National Park with no cell service (a blessing) for 3 days. 

The 12 Pro looks great. I do like the design harkening back to the iPhone 5. 

Definitely won’t be upgrading this cycle. My 11 Pro is still fantastic. The cameras still consistently impress. And the battery is going strong. In fact this may be the first iPhone I’ve had that after a year still provides plenty of battery life. 

Bring on the 13!

Now that I’m back home, I’ve had time to read-up on the new iPhone line. Kinda glad I’m not looking for one as I know I’d be miffed at the bonus camera features on the Max. I tried talking myself into a big phone when the 7 line had similar disparities, but I just knew the large phone would be problematic for me. All the more reason to wait for the 13s. 

I keep wondering about my computer choices next year now that I am starting to budget for the next twelve months. I've done preliminary calculations to build a mid-end PC workstation and move all my creative work over to that as I have video projects I'd like to try and start working on in the second half of 2021 so need something that will support a 4k RAW workflow. Ideally I'd sooner keep everything with Apple as I like the operating system, and even if I build a PC I would still want to keep my day to day activities on MacOS (plus there are still Mac only apps I don't want to be without). 

Seems like a tough time to be wanting a new Mac as I'm not sure I want to be an early adopter of their Apple Silicon models until I can be sure they'll do what I need. As I've said before, I'm confident about whatever they'll be able to do on a CPU level, but I really want to know what their plans are with GPUs as I just can't picture them matching the performance from even the lowest end AMD GPU that they are putting into the 16" MBP and iMacs. It'd be good if they continue to partner with AMD for another two or three years, but if all we're likely to see are base level notebooks next month then we'll still be none the wiser as to whether that's their plan or not for whatever is to come in 2021.

The Mac Mini seems so close and yet so far for me. I might still be tempted by the current Mini were it not for the fact that enthusiasm for eGPUs seems to have faded in professional communities. It'd be nice to think they'd put a dGPU in the mini again whenever it switches to the new chips, but I doubt that it will (in fact I fear they will take it as an excuse to make the Mini even smaller). I can't really justify the 27" iMac pricing given what I can build a PC for, and I'm still hung up on being locked down to the built in Apple display. Excellent as the 5k iMac display is, I'd still sooner pick out a matte display of my choice and in turn have the option to have two or three matching monitors side by side. It's crazy how close the Mini is to being the ideal Mac for me were it not for a couple of factors. 

I guess we probably wouldn't see an Apple Silicon Mac Mini emerge until WWDC. Despite that terrific 2018 update, and quietly upgrading the base storage earlier this year, they've neglected it as far as the CPU is concerned as it's still offering 8th gen Intel, so it's clearly not a priority for Apple. I hope they keep the current form factor and i/o and, again, would love to see the more efficient ARM chips allow for a return of a dGPU but I wont get my hopes up (maybe we could have a Mac Mini Pro).

My biggest fear is the next Mini and iMacs will completely remove user upgradable RAM, and if that were the case and Apple still had the audacity to charge what they charge for RAM, it would likely drive me away from ever taking Apple seriously as an option for creative work again. I really hope they're not that arrogant. 

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/10/25/google-apple-search-default-8-12-billion/

This is an interesting / crazy story. Apparently Google pays Apple $8 - 12 Billion (with a B ) a year to keep Google the default search engine on Apple devices. This agreement accounts for 14 - 21% of Apple’s profits and almost half of Google’s search traffic comes from Apple devices. 

That’s just an astounding amount of money. 

• Interesting 4

It’s been a while since I read it but, I think a similar number (a little lower) was leaked a couple years ago too. Specific to Google paying Apple to be the default search engine. Also, I think there was a patent exchange between them leaked last year that showed over 1b Google pays Apple for certain interface patents. The most surprising part of all of this isn’t actually the money (it is crazy though) but, the amount of search traffic Google gets from Apple devices. 

• Interesting 1
13 minutes ago, Magness said:

It’s been a while since I read it but, I think a similar number (a little lower) was leaked a couple years ago too. Specific to Google paying Apple to be the default search engine. Also, I think there was a patent exchange between them leaked last year that showed over 1b Google pays Apple for certain interface patents. The most surprising part of all of this isn’t actually the money (it is crazy though) but, the amount of search traffic Google gets from Apple devices. 

Yeah that part is interesting since Android numbers are usually like 80% of the mobile market. However, Android and iOS are around 50% each on the US and UK markets.

• Like 1

Fresh rumours pointing to first half of 2021 for the Apple Silicon iMacs.

In addition to the first Apple Silicon processor A14X for the MacBook, which is already in volume production using TSMC's 5-nanometer technology, according to Apple's supply chain, Apple will launch its first self-developed GPU under the research and development code name Lifuka next year, and its first desktop processor A14T under the research and development code name Mt.Jade, both produced using TSMC's 5-nanometer process.

I wonder if they'll update the 21" first, or do that and the 27" together. 

I can't help but think that WWDC in June will be when they take the veil off of the first desktop chips.

I'm still clinging to a dream that they pack full desktop class performance into a Mac Mini and not shortchange it. There's some thought that eGPUs might not even be compatible on Apple Silicon Macs (some DTK and Big Sur code appears to suggest this might be true), so if Apple are going to take that path to higher end graphics away from the Mini, then surely the aim is to deliver on internal GPU performance.