LCVG

Apple Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I've gone and done it.   11" iPad Pro, pencil and keyboard ordered. iPad and pencil will hopefully be with me next week as I ordered them from John Lewis (UK department store) as they

One thing I haven’t mentioned on LCVG at all is that I recently got a new job. Today was my first day there, and now that this has become a reality, I went ahead and ordered an iPhone Pro. One of the

I got my keyboard.  GAME CHANGER for me.  I’m lounging on couch typing this, very very comfortably.  The iPad is very stable on my lap.  The keys feel great and are a great size, I have a 16” MBP at w

Posted Images

Those are the first headphones from Apple I'm genuinely interested in hearing. I like the aesthetics and they look really comfy to boot.

That's a lot of money, though, even for someone like me who has spent, at most, $399 for a new pair of headphones. Hopefully, I can get to an Apple Store once the pandemic has subsided and demo a pair.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

That all sounds good to me. What I am really curious to see is if the Apple Silicon era will usher in performance parity between both sizes of MBP. That could tempt me to get a 14", but really I still worry about making my iPad largely redundant if I have another MacBook, so I'm still thinking an iMac or a more powerful Mini would be the way to go for me (just make a mini with 10gig ethernet that matches the best Apple Silicon MBP performance).

This looks great to me but, i haven’t requested a new MacBook at work yet (despite wanting one badly). I would definitely prefer a 14” size MBP like these renders but... I can’t help but think Apple are building towards an iPad Pro with the desktop ARM OS on it. And that would be perfect for me so I’m going to wait and see. 

4 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

That all sounds good to me. What I am really curious to see is if the Apple Silicon era will usher in performance parity between both sizes of MBP. That could tempt me to get a 14", but really I still worry about making my iPad largely redundant if I have another MacBook, so I'm still thinking an iMac or a more powerful Mini would be the way to go for me (just make a mini with 10gig ethernet that matches the best Apple Silicon MBP performance).

In the written MacRumours article, there is mention that the 16” would retain the same piped cooling (or whatever it is). So it could be that the Silicon is the same, but has a little more oomph with better cooling. 

I've decided to take the trial for Apple News+ and see how I like it. Does anyone here use it and find it to be worthwhile? I suspect it's unlikely I'll pay up for the annual subscription as there just doesn't seem to be quite enough in the way of Magazines of interest to me. I'm still frustrated there isn't more variety in the Apple One subscription offerings as I'd rather have the option of News alongside TV+ and Music rather than Arcade. 

11 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I've decided to take the trial for Apple News+ and see how I like it. Does anyone here use it and find it to be worthwhile? I suspect it's unlikely I'll pay up for the annual subscription as there just doesn't seem to be quite enough in the way of Magazines of interest to me. I'm still frustrated there isn't more variety in the Apple One subscription offerings as I'd rather have the option of News alongside TV+ and Music rather than Arcade. 

Both my wife and I use it a lot. As someone who doesn't have social media it helps me get news from all over in one spot.

10 hours ago, kelley said:

As someone who doesn't have social media it helps me get news from all over in one spot.

Yes, I do kind of like it I must admit. Feels like it's been a while since I regularly got into some meatier writing on current affairs since social media reduces it to soundbites. Nice to get more use out of the iPad too (the smaller Pro seems really well suited to reading).

I'm impressed magazines let you go quite some ways back through back issues. It's nice to have EDGE on there, some running/fitness magazines, food magazines, National Geographic and some science stuff. There's a bounty of home decor magazines which I enjoy, but not owning a place I can put my own design tastes into only renders those of passing interest sadly. I wish there was more in the way of art/photography available.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any guidance on how to choose the amount of unified memory on a new Apple silicon Mac?

I'd like to buy the cheapest Mac Mini for example, but not sure how the unified memory equates to memory usage we are used to. I can have Chrome open with several tabs and it will use 18GB.