LCVG

Apple Discussion Thread

kelley

18 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

What size watch face do you have?

44mm.

18 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

but as time as gone on I've recognised more daily usefulness that I could get out of the watch, so my view has changed as I can certainly now see it as an all occasions piece of apparel. 

Yup. I have a dozen watches but I always wear my Apple Watch. I have several bands that I swap out based on the occasion as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Black Magic Design are boasting of a colossal performance boost with the latest build of DaVinci Resolve for M1 Macs:

"This is truly an amazing update that gives customers huge performance and power efficiency gains on Mac models with M1, and it totally transforms your computer, simply by downloading this free of charge DaVinci Resolve software update" said Blackmagic Design CEO Grant Petty in a press release. "This speed increase is stunning and it's hard to believe. I have not seen a speed improvement this large since the original 68000 to Power PC transition back in the 1990s and it is just amazing. Who would have thought just a year ago that multiple 4K streams could be played back and edited natively on a MacBook Air, but it's easy now on DaVinci Resolve with M1. The engineering team has worked so hard on this new image processing engine for DaVinci Resolve, and it is an incredibly exciting time to be developing software for the Mac!"

I look forward to some videos putting it to the test. DaVinci for Apple Silicon was already known to be exceptionally well optimised, so this is quite a boast. If it's as significant a performance boost as they are claiming then one only wonders what might be possible with an M1X or whatever chip is making its way into the forthcoming computers.

Hopefully we'll know soon enough as September is almost upon us, though I expect a phone and watch event first.

I'm curious to see if it will just be a single new chip, or whether there will be variants with different numbers of cores...etc. I'm certain we'll definitely see RAM move to add 32GB and 64GB options as it would be strange not to see them at the very least match what is offered in the current 16" MBP (and no real excuse not to offer similar options in the smaller MBP given the low thermal requirements of Apple's silicon, so even though I don't think I will go for a laptop again I'd still like to see a relative level of parity between 14" and 16" Pros. I never liked how the 13" MBP had to be compromised on performance).

It's frustrating the larger iMac is now rumoured for early 2022 as even if a powerful Mac Mini does surface this year I'm not going to know how the cost of one + external third party display will add up against whatever Apple have planned for the larger iMac until then. Spring's about when I feel I will start needing a new computer. I don't think my old MBP can soldier on much longer though.

I’m most looking forward to new AirPods. I would like some updated “regular” AirPods with new W chips and better controls. The batteries on my current AirPods are kind of shot and don’t report the % properly anymore. My left one just cuts out without any warning and says it’s almost fully charged as soon as I pop it in the charger. 

The right one isn’t as bad, but it was actually a replacement one, so it’s not as old. 

Not the first time this has been claimed, but it's interesting to see fresh rumours that the new Watches will each gain 1mm in screen size (this is apparently due to closer screen bonding and a new flat edge body design which will have reduced the bezel slightly).

I must say, if that happens this year and the real thing looks something like those renders in the image then I'd welcome it. I've never considered the Apple Watch to be particularly attractive. In fairness, part of that is to do with always having favoured round watch faces, but the Apple Watch itself has still yet to win me over in design in looking more like a stylish accessory and less like a device.

• 2 weeks later...

Is Apple Music broken for anyone? For the last few days attempts to add any albums to my library on MacOS are just met with the a spinning circle (I don't mean a beachball, but after you click the 'add' button in the app itself it turns into a red spinning circle). Adding albums via my phone or iPad works, but does not sync to update the library on the Mac. I signed out of the Music app on the Mac, then back in again, but it just hangs on 'updating cloud music library' spinning endlessly with no actual retrieval of my cloud library taking place.

11 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Is Apple Music broken for anyone?

I had a weird issue the other day. I tried to add the new Imagine Dragons album to my library, but for some reason, several of the songs were still listed as unavailable when I tried to play them from my library. If I played them from the Apple Music listing, it worked fine, but I couldn't get them to play from my library. I had to delete the whole album and re-add it in order for it to work. I'm not sure why, but that's what did the trick.

I also have an issue sometimes where an Apple Music track (not one of my own CD rips) won't play the downloaded file, even though it's on my iMac. In that case, I have to remove the download and then either stream it, or re-download it in order to play.

I love Apple Music as a service, but the apps — especially the one on Mac — are glitchy as fuck sometimes.

7 hours ago, JFo said:

I had a weird issue the other day. I tried to add the new Imagine Dragons album to my library, but for some reason, several of the songs were still listed as unavailable when I tried to play them from my library. If I played them from the Apple Music listing, it worked fine, but I couldn't get them to play from my library. I had to delete the whole album and re-add it in order for it to work. I'm not sure why, but that's what did the trick.

I also have an issue sometimes where an Apple Music track (not one of my own CD rips) won't play the downloaded file, even though it's on my iMac. In that case, I have to remove the download and then either stream it, or re-download it in order to play.

I love Apple Music as a service, but the apps — especially the one on Mac — are glitchy as fuck sometimes.

The Mac app is so bad. It logs me out all the time and then decides it doesn’t want me to login anymore. A friend of mine gave me a Spotify login on his family account and I’ve been using that on my Mac. 

That was the main reason I decided to stay with Spotify. Spotify’s apps are everywhere and they are usually smooth, immediate and responsive. Apple Music is clunky as hell and I’m windows you either have to use the atrocity that is iTunes or the web version of Apple Music - bah!

It's certainly tempting not to renew Apple Music in January and try Spotify. I'll think about it (I'm not sure how that might affect my interest in the watch and playing music from that though). I do benefit from the fact my CD Rips in Apple Music will upload to the cloud to stream to my other devices.

I left the Music app open all night and it was still looping on 'Updating Cloud Music Library' without actually adding or updating anything. I've rebooted my router, logged in and out of the Music app, unticked and ticked sync library in the settings...etc. I've just de-authorised my MacBook Pro from Apple Music and re-linked it again, but that doesn't seem to have fixed anything either.

I'd love to say a short wait for Monterey will quickly fix this, but then I remember that my Macbook is effectively now obsolete in Apple's eyes and will not be able to run the new OS.

11 hours ago, kelley said:

The Mac app is so bad. It logs me out all the time and then decides it doesn’t want me to login anymore. A friend of mine gave me a Spotify login on his family account and I’ve been using that on my Mac. 

10 hours ago, AlbertA said:

That was the main reason I decided to stay with Spotify. Spotify’s apps are everywhere and they are usually smooth, immediate and responsive. Apple Music is clunky as hell and I’m windows you either have to use the atrocity that is iTunes or the web version of Apple Music - bah!

8 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

It's certainly tempting not to renew Apple Music in January and try Spotify.

I absolutely love Spotify. I cut Apple/iTunes years ago after a constant issues. Just looking at the interface for Apple Music gives me PTSD. Not the only time, but the worst experience I remember was when iTunes would sync your library to the cloud. It wrecked what I'd built and was matching wrong versions of songs. It never worked well at all and should never have been released. 

The music discovery on Spotify is top notch and the library is really extensive. There's something nice about a company that purely focuses on music. It feels like they are constantly trying to improve the UI and experience without cluttering the interface or implementing unneeded features. 

2 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Not the only time, but the worst experience I remember was when iTunes would sync your library to the cloud. It wrecked what I'd built and was matching wrong versions of songs. It never worked well at all and should never have been released. 

That's the big one for me. I also hate how if you have a compilation in your library, and a certain song isn't licensed to Apple Music, they will go and seek out the song from another album and add that album to your library automatically. To this day I don't believe there is any way to tell it not to do that. Still, I do like having my CD rips in the cloud as so much of what I buy and listen to is not available on streaming platforms, even if cloud sync can be buggy in its own right with Apple. As far as I know that's not a service Spotify can replicate (?). 

Phone/Watch event announced for the 14th:

I'm eager for iOS to launch. I'm really looking forward to the Focus features. That's going to completely change the way I use my devices (for the better by the looks of things). If there's one thing I hate most about the iOS UI it's the sense of clutter, but Focus finally seems to have found a tasteful and useful way to re-distribute and access applications.

21 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

As far as I know that's not a service Spotify can replicate (?). 

They can't. The closest thing would be searching Spotify to see if they have it in the library and adding those albums to your list in the apps. 

3 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

They can't. The closest thing would be searching Spotify to see if they have it in the library and adding those albums to your list in the apps. 

Mmm, that's what I thought. I own a lot of films scores released by specialty labels which are CD exclusive so the Apple Music ecosystem sadly remains my best option for keeping everything in one place.

It's interesting to read that Apple Music has problems even on OSX. I would have expected it to be a much smoother and better integrated experience there.

One big change to Spotify however, that I dislike, it's their home page changes - It's clearly trying to push podcasting now very hard... I dislike that I can't tell it to stop showing me podcasts, simply because I sampled some.

The matching feature (to your local library) actually used to be a feature of Spotify but they removed it - who knows why...

I started streaming with Rdio, it had a far better UI than Spotify IMO and a decent enough collection. Neither had a lot of the more obscure artists I listened to at the time, so my choice came down to IU. When Rdio folded, I stopped streaming altogether. I resisted subbing to a new one for years, so I missed the Apple Music growing pains. Then maybe 1.5 to 2 years ago I signed up with Apple Music and I like it. I like that it keeps all my burned music, which includes a lot of things not even in their library, I like having access to all of it from my phone without needing it to be on the device.

I was recently on a 2 week road trip and was introduced to their infinite play feature (I didn't even know it existed). I played an album, and after that ended, it riffed on the album and just kept playing related music. It was very cool. I heard a lot of stuff I didn't know. I suspect Spotify has something similar, but it was new to me.

I do fear what might happen should I unsub. Like the potential for deleting my local burns that overlap with their library. But I do have a backup of my local library should that day come to pass.

7 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

It's interesting to read that Apple Music has problems even on OSX. I would have expected it to be a much smoother and better integrated experience there.

It's quite shocking when you consider how popular the application is, and how vital the application is given it is sold as part of Apple's expanded service ecosystem. I think the only native App many Mac users hate more is the podcasts app.

7 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

The matching feature (to your local library) actually used to be a feature of Spotify but they removed it - who knows why...

I think services are better off without it. It's a good idea on paper, but in practice can be flawed and for collector's deeply frustrating. Let's say you own an album on CD, an older release that has since been remastered and re-issued, and that re-issue is the only version available on streaming... only the remaster happens to sound worse than the original album. Happens often. In that scenario, the matching algorithm would only serve up the latest incarnation of that album. It can be a nightmare for classical music fans too given how many recordings there are of the same piece of music. If you could manually select the option to match on an album by album basis, letting the user decide, then that wouldn't be so bad. But to have an algorithm scan your entire library for matches is just going to lead to headaches.