LCVG

Apple Discussion Thread

kelley

Yeah, this is the first time I can recall that at 2 years of owning an iPhone, I'm not really clamoring for the new one. A big part of that is the battery improvements made in the 11 Pro, unlike previous iPhones at 2 years, the 11 is still holding up admirably in terms of battery life. It's not as good as new, but it's more than good enough. My previous phones were basically limping along at the 24 month mark, so much so that I had replaced the battery in some of my older phones.

And the reviews for the 13 pretty much universally emphasize the incremental nature of this upgrade. I'm fine waiting for the 14 at this point.

22 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

Yeah, this is the first time I can recall that at 2 years of owning an iPhone, I'm not really clamoring for the new one. A big part of that is the battery improvements made in the 11 Pro, unlike previous iPhones at 2 years, the 11 is still holding up admirably in terms of battery life. It's not as good as new, but it's more than good enough. My previous phones were basically limping along at the 24 month mark, so much so that I had replaced the battery in some of my older phones.

And the reviews for the 13 pretty much universally emphasize the incremental nature of this upgrade. I'm fine waiting for the 14 at this point.

Yeah same here, but with the 3 year old XS Max. The battery is still holding a days charge. I hope it lasts another year.

Yes, while I don't intend to ever go as long as I did from upgrading a 6 to a XS (and I got the XS when it was almost a year old already), I find a three/four year cycle is best for me with phone upgrades. I'm witnessing no noticeable performance drawbacks on my XS, but the battery improvements and introduction of 120hz on more recent models are definitely something I'm keener to benefit from sooner rather than later. I've every expectation that an iPhone 14 would leave me happy for a long time.

52 minutes ago, kelley said:

Don't look at the iPhone 13 Pro. The 120hz screen will break your brain with all other iOS devices. I'm pretty sure my new iPad mini is going back because of the screen.

Well.... I did say. :)  I was surprised having had 120hz on your iPad Pro that you were willing to take the loss with the Mini. 

It's absurd Apple make 120hz a premium though. As I understand it there are reasonably cheap Android phones that have had 120hz for ages. This should be standard by now on most of Apple's higher end mobile products (the iPad Pros already have it of course, but the Mini and the Air could honestly have it too).

14 minutes ago, Dimness said:

I currently own a Galaxy S7 from 2016, and this is the first time in forever I'm thinking of jumping ship to Apple. Anybody wanna doing any convincing?

What don't you like about the Galaxy (or Android OS in general)?

1 hour ago, Dimness said:

I currently own a Galaxy S7 from 2016, and this is the first time in forever I'm thinking of jumping ship to Apple. Anybody wanna doing any convincing?

It's going to be a whole new world. Now is a great time to jump. Just as long as you don't feel the need to customize every little bit of your phone you'll be happy.

There's not much I find myself wishing I can customise with the iPhone anymore, at least not as far as the UI layout is concerned. Being able to delete some default apps, hide apps you use less by dumping them into the library, and now Focus Modes, have done a lot to ease my frustration with the layout. I hate visual clutter, but things are cleaner and simpler now and I have a better sense of where things are. I really do love the new Focus Modes (though I assume Android's probably had something like that for years? That's usually the way it is with OS changes with Apple I find. Anyone coming over from Google had best be OK with Apple's OS not always leading the way when it comes to features).

I still think Apple do a really poor job teaching people just what you can do with iOS devices, whether it's with the settings, or touch gestures...etc. It's true of MacOS too in a lot of ways. I still feel like I am discovering little tips and tricks that have been around for years on a regular basis. I'm having to learn a lot about accessibility options lately to aid a family member with failing eyesight and hearing and it's quite remarkable finding stuff I never knew was there, and I've even found use for a couple of things myself in the process.

10 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I really hate that they moved the bookmarks icon in Safari in iOS 15. What use to be one click now takes three. Ugh.

What are you seeing? Regardless of whether I have the search bar at the top of the page or the bottom, at the very bottom I still have a grey bar with the < > arrows, share icon, bookmarks icon and the tabs icon (I love the new tabs view in iOS 15 incidentally. Much nicer than what we had before).

1 minute ago, Angry the Clown said:

What are you seeing? Regardless of whether I have the search bar at the top of the page or the bottom, at the very bottom I still have a grey bar with the < > arrows, share icon, bookmarks icon and the tabs icon (I love the new tabs view in iOS 15 incidentally. Much nicer than what we had before).

IPad here, not iPhone. On the iPad, there's now a book icon on the left that pops out a pane where it shows the number of tabs, the ability to toggle private browsing and then it has the bookmarks, reading list, etc. The open book icon that used to have the bookmarks front and center is gone. I could enable the favorites bar and set my most used sites but there's literally just a blank space between the < and > arrows and the search bar. 

12 minutes ago, Romier S said:

IPad here, not iPhone. On the iPad, there's now a book icon on the left that pops out a pane where it shows the number of tabs, the ability to toggle private browsing and then it has the bookmarks, reading list, etc. The open book icon that used to have the bookmarks front and center is gone. I could enable the favorites bar and set my most used sites but there's literally just a blank space between the < and > arrows and the search bar. 

Ohhh. Right. Yes on iPadOS they've made Safari pretty much mimic how it's set out in MacOS where you access bookmarks via the side bar. On Mac OS you can add a star shaped bookmarks button when you go into the menu for customising the Safari toolbar, but it's a really weird implementation as all it does is open your bookmarks in a tabbed bar rather than just presenting you with a quick access pop up/drop down menu. 

50 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I really hate that they moved the bookmarks icon in Safari in iOS 15. What use to be one click now takes three. Ugh.

I assume you're talking about iPad? Tap the address bar instead. You'll get your bookmarks right there as icons.

18 minutes ago, JFo said:

I assume you're talking about iPad? Tap the address bar instead. You'll get your bookmarks right there as icons.

That’s favorites, not bookmarks. It’s not the end of the world as I can redo my favorites to match my bookmarks but it’s a needless change that’s making me do shit I don’t want to do.

3 hours ago, Romier S said:

That’s favorites, not bookmarks. It’s not the end of the world as I can redo my favorites to match my bookmarks but it’s a needless change that’s making me do shit I don’t want to do.

Ah, you see, I just put all of my bookmarks into my Favorites, so that works for me. 

Speaking of folders, I saw this the other day and had a chuckle: 

FILE NOT FOUND: A generation that grew up with Google is forcing professors to rethink their lesson plans

Monica Chin, writing for TheVerge:

Catherine Garland, an astrophysicist, started seeing the problem in 2017. She was teaching an engineering course, and her students were using simulation software to model turbines for jet engines. She’d laid out the assignment clearly, but student after student was calling her over for help. They were all getting the same error message: The program couldn’t find their files.

Garland thought it would be an easy fix. She asked each student where they’d saved their project. Could they be on the desktop? Perhaps in the shared drive? But over and over, she was met with confusion. “What are you talking about?” multiple students inquired. Not only did they not know where their files were saved — they didn’t understand the question.

Gradually, Garland came to the same realization that many of her fellow educators have reached in the past four years: the concept of file folders and directories, essential to previous generations’ understanding of computers, is gibberish to many modern students.

Whippersnappers! Can't even find files in a directory! Why, in my day, we didn't have Google or Spotlight or any fancy search engines! We had to look up websites on Yahoo! and Alta Vista! And if you forgot where you put a file, it was gone forever and you'd have to start the whole project over! Built character, it did!

Ah, those were the good ol' days...

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

What don't you like about the Galaxy (or Android OS in general)?

It's less what I don't like about Galaxy (I can't point to specific things to be honest), and more having to do with the quality of life I can get if I go over to the Apple ecosystem because 99% of my friends are on the Apple ecosystem, and it seems everything revolves around Apple stuff. So many quirks (text messaging issues being one of them) have popped up just because I'm on Android and everybody else is on Apple.

Every time I try and convince myself to go over to Apple, something always keeps me from joining (people who are very against Apple crop up on my Youtube videos quite a bit). And the most recent thing (serialized batteries) honestly doesn't bother me.

I'm thinking of making the jump to the Apple ecosystem. Not only that, but for once I kind of want to be part of the latest and greatest (with the possible exception of video games, I'm always behind on the technology curve). I'm really thinking of the 512 GB (seriously, I do way too much management on 32 GB) iPhone 13 Pro Max.

I'm going to do some more research, but I'd like some first hand thoughts on your Apple products. Such as:

• Former Android folks, what was it like to jump to iOS?
  • How well does iOS versions of Microsoft products, especially TEAMS, Skype, Excel, and Onenote work?
  • I've been deep in the Google ecosystem. There's this seamless updating thing I do where I add new contacts via Google Contacts... on a computer (I've never been comfortable doing those sorts of things directly on a phone, but I'm going to force myself to finally do stuff directly on phone). Does Google stuff still work alright on iOS?
  • Anything else I should research before I make the jump... soonish?

• 3 weeks later...

My iPad is eligible for an upgrade from Verizon so it looks like a 12.9in 2021 iPad Pro is in my future. I’ll put in the order later this morning. My current 2-year old iPad Pro 11in will go to my 15 year old who’s been clamoring for a more powerful tablet for artwork and to put their Apple pen to good use. Their existing and much older iPad 3 will get handed down to my 9 year old.

Its a holiday season iPad swap at the Silvera household. :)

On 9/24/2021 at 5:57 PM, Dimness said:

I've been deep in the Google ecosystem. There's this seamless updating thing I do where I add new contacts via Google Contacts... on a computer (I've never been comfortable doing those sorts of things directly on a phone, but I'm going to force myself to finally do stuff directly on phone). Does Google stuff still work alright on iOS?

For the most part, yes. I have multiple Google accounts connected to my iPhone. You can sync your contacts onto your phone. Any new ones you create in the account will appear (if adding a new contact to the phone just be careful where you’re saving to, or only have the Google contacts visible). 

You can also have you Google calendars, email and notes in Apple’s native Calendar, Mail, and Notes apps. 

Google also makes apps for most of its services on iOS. Mail, Maps, Calendar, Drive, Photos, Docs etc are all available. They may not be as integrated as with a Google Android phone, but they are available and work for the most part. I think occasionally they’ll actually make new features on iOS first. 

I'm still holding out hope for a Mac Mini with the same specs as the new Macbook Pros. I remain unsure which route I'd go down though. I still don't specifically want or need a laptop, but a Macbook Pro may still prove the most economical from a cost/performance perspective compared to a Mini once specced out and a mouse, keyboard and monitor is added to the budget. Either way I'm not sure I'll be able to buy anything this side of Christmas. I can probably still keep my Macbook Pro going until the Spring in the hope we might see a 27" iMac by then. 

There's rumour of 120hz ProMotion in the Macbook Pros which would be very nice indeed.