LCVG

Apple Discussion Thread

kelley

41 minutes ago, rustyjaw said:

The old rules about processor speed and RAM don't seem to translate the same way with the SOC architecture.

There are definitely advantages to having a unified SoC, yes. I definitely don't subscribe to the belief that 8GB is effectively equivalent to 16GB of RAM on another machine though, or anything that radical. For demanding applications and use it must surely pay to have as much RAM in these things as one can afford since it needs to be shared by both CPU and GPU, but those who truly need 32GB and 64GB even in the creative space will possibly only amount to a very small percentage of users over the next few years when all is said and done. 

I'm very torn. If I knew for certain we'd get a decent desktop display from Apple next year then I'd take the 14" 24 Core in anticipation of being able to match it up with an external monitor of similar quality and just put up with having only a 14" display for six months. While these laptops seem to be pretty much everything creatives were hoping for, I'm not yet ready to blindly invest in a belief that Apple will continue making the best out of products they have the capacity to offer (*looks sternly at the continued wasted potential of the iPad Pro*). Given the financial expense it feels like too big of a risk for me to go for the 14" in the hope they will make a new monitor, and I'm just not sure I want to lug the 16" around given it's a little heavier than my 2014 15" MBP which was already a turnoff whenever I'd consider taking it out for work/travel. So, if this damn 15" model can hold out another 6 to 8 months, an iMac/M2 Air combo could be more suitable for me.

On 10/18/2021 at 3:34 PM, Graeme said:

New AirPods ordered. Now to actually watch the presentation. 

I'm going to wait on reviews. So far, most reviews are pointing to using a particular Zabra for working out. But I'm going to see what people say about these new AirPods in comparison to the AirPods Pro.

12 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

I'm particularly keen on audio processing. Although in reality, I won't bother getting an M1 Mac until iZotope plug-ins support the M1. I've come to reply on them for mixing and mastering. Great products. I believe they don't work at all even in Rosetta.

In the Apple presentation they called out Logic plugins at least once when talking about Rosetta. Logic plugin support is what holds us back from updating our old iMac Pro. Even the big shops are struggling to update their stuff. 

Not a huge surprise, audio plug-ins always seem to lag even new OS releases, sometimes by many months. I know in some cases that's because Apple messes with the plumbing related to audio. So a new hardware architecture must be a challenge, at least for some that have huge suites of complex plug-ins like iZotope or Native Instruments. Smaller shops like Valhalla DSP had theirs updated to the M1 pretty fast

On 10/21/2021 at 11:05 AM, rustyjaw said:

Not a huge surprise, audio plug-ins always seem to lag even new OS releases, sometimes by many months. I know in some cases that's because Apple messes with the plumbing related to audio. So a new hardware architecture must be a challenge, at least for some that have huge suites of complex plug-ins like iZotope or Native Instruments. Smaller shops like Valhalla DSP had theirs updated to the M1 pretty fast

Our Universal Audio hardware claims to support the latest macOS and we tried it, their definition of works and mine are not the same.

Macbook Pro embargo has lifted.

It'll probably take retail units to make it into peoples hands before we see decent comparisons of M1 Pro and Max chips, and all their variants to see if there's a decent middle ground in price/performance to go for when it comes to choosing core counts. All the advance reviews seem to have been supplied with 32 Core Max models with 64GB Ram. 

The 120Hz screen on my wife's new iPhone is soooo smooth - she barely notices. I went to find some 120hz video content, but looks like apple is not yet ready to open up the refresh rate to apps yet - it's all internal for now.

She doesn’t do any benchmarking, but she does have a base model 14” and sees how far they can push it during video editing 8k raw video (it’s not JUST an unboxing as the title would suggest). 

Also Linus Tech tips said that they’ve ordered pretty much every configuration, so I would expect to see some good comparisons coming from them after they get them all (there was longer delivery times for some of their higher end models). 

I can’t imagine they’ve all had a lot of time with these yet either. 

These things seem super impressive though. 

That's great to see the base 14" tested. 8K Canon Raw with fifteen effects in FCPX, whilst outputting to a monitor, before they could get the fan to kick in... and then they realise Da Vinci Resolve and several other applications were open at the same time. That's quite remarkable. I wonder how aggressive the thermal throttling becomes as you continue to work.

I'm lured by the sheer power of the higher spec SoCs, but if I am really honest with myself I just don't foresee future moves to video editing requiring me to do such demanding work remotely (I'm also going to be working in a 4k Pro Res workspace when the time comes, so theoretically I could see double the gains they're getting there since they were playing with Canon's demanding 8k Raw). Really my long term aim is to focus on video at my desk in the office on a larger M based iMac, so it begs the question would I do well to pair that with a base level M1 Pro 14" (perhaps configured slightly) or an eventual M2 Air refresh. I'm not sure an Air refresh would get an SD slot which is of value to me, and I certainly don't expect it to get as nice a display and since photo editing is certainly something I'd do away from home the screen quality is of value.

I really need to see more tests with the lower end 14" variants I guess. I'd like to know the benefits in use between the base 8 core CPU/10 core GPU vs 10 core CPU/14 core GPU (£200 more) and 10 core CPU/16 core GPU M1 Pros (£300 more). Interestingly at the page where you configure the MBPs to your desire, on the 14" if you start with the base model and then move up to the 10 core CPU/14 Core GPU they automatically upgrade you to the 96w USB charger at no additional cost which is actually required to fast charge the smaller laptop as the 67w charger isn't powerful enough, so that saving in not having to pay up for the better charger separately is perhaps worth taking into account against the added cost of upping the M1 Pro SoC to its second or third tier options. The thing is when you spend £200 on going for the 14 Core GPU you begin to ask "what's another 100?" when looking at the 16 Core above it. 

It's a shame the SSD prices are so insane. £200 to go from 512GB to 1TB which to be honest is tolerable at the speeds on offer, but then it's a big £400 jump to go from 1TB to 2TB, £600 to go from 2TB to 4TB, and £1,200 to go from 4TB to 8TB. 

Even if looking at an M1 Pro vs Max SoC I can't help myself but price up a 14" M1 Pro model that comes in at over three grand. I think there's part of my brain thinking "what if you're stuck with a laptop long term again?" and wanting to cover myself. It's difficult when we don't know when the larger iMac will surface, if/when the rumoured higher end Mini will surface, and whether Apple would ever make a MiniLED 120hz consumer display. 

10 hours ago, AlbertA said:

The 120Hz screen on my wife's new iPhone is soooo smooth - she barely notices. I went to find some 120hz video content, but looks like apple is not yet ready to open up the refresh rate to apps yet - it's all internal for now.

I'm very, very close to pulling the trigger on a iPhone 13 Pro Max right now. I'm just finding more, and more reasons to not be patient with my S7 anymore. What are some of the things that stand out for you/wife for the new iPhone experience?

6 hours ago, JFo said:

I updated my iMac to Monterey and and iPad Pro to iPadOS 15.1 today. It's nice to see sweet, glorious normal tabs back in Safari.

I think being locked out from Monterey is why I'm itching for a new machine asap. It's making me feel very left out now. While I can feel my computer is outdated in use (a simple task n Capture One will ramp up the fans, as will installing Big Sur security updates), it's Apple's lack of future OS support that's really left me feeling that I'm lumbered with obsolete tech.

I'm going to take a look at the 14" MBP later this week in store, though even if I could stretch to spending the money it doesn't sound like I'd be able to get one this side of Christmas due to demand and shortages, at which point I'll be closer to there being larger iMac and hopefully higher end Mini announcements in Q1 2022. I actually thought my computer plans would be quite straightforward, but I'm finding myself rather torn over the MBPs and what lies ahead in the desktop space as ideally I'd have both but it's difficult to envision being able to do so in the space of twelve months. If I felt I could live with 14" as my only display in the medium term then I'd be quite tempted to perhaps get a 14 Core, 32GB configuration with either 1 or 2 TB and then consider a desktop in 2023. I'd luck out if Apple made a MiniLED/120hz monitor next year but it's tempting fate to assume that they will (but if they did I'd grab that and then later a higher end Mini).

Does anyone have experience trading in devices to Apple? My MBP has no real external damage to speak of, though the outline of rubber around the monitor has flaked away in a couple of places and I don't know whether that's enough for damage for them to consider it a write off. 

Incidentally, going back to my question last week about retina resolution in the new 14" vs my old 15," it does seem as though I would indeed gain in being able to display more on screen on the 14" despite the inch loss in physical space. The 14" defaults to a "looks like" retina resolution of 1512x982 (that's below the camera notch and menu bar), compared to 1440x900 on my 15" so that's really interesting. 

17 hours ago, Dimness said:

I'm very, very close to pulling the trigger on a iPhone 13 Pro Max right now. I'm just finding more, and more reasons to not be patient with my S7 anymore. What are some of the things that stand out for you/wife for the new iPhone experience?

I guess a non-cracked screen? I mean her XS Max was out of apple care + already when it happened, so she used it with a cracked screen for about a year.

But other than that, probably the camera. The XS Max camera was no slouch, but there's clear improvement here, especially night mode.

Maybe another thing was the "find now" functionality, which made finding her lost airpod pro a snap - it was in the house but that was neat. But that's more of an "ecosystem" feature.

We've been in the Apple ecosystem for years now so for her, just having that integration between ipad, iphone, macbook and watch is great - facetime, phonecalls and messages on any of the devices she has around works good for her. The airpods pro is just one more thing that makes the thing seamless too.

We use Apple pay all the time - she uses her watch most of the time to pay in the grocery stores (most stores around here support it) - since we use it so much, we have the Apple card too... we're all in.... 😬

Screentime is something we use with our teens as well - specially around social media apps... jeez.. the things these teens have to deal with now-a-days.... <old man soapbox> in my day we never....</>

For teens, I share my Apple card (the latest updated allows this know) - with a limit - currently only shared with my oldest - or we just send him Apple cash through messages and then he can just use Apple pay on his phone. Doesn't work for all outings but most of them.

The phone unlock feature with the watch, when you are wearing a mask, that was a good update too. But that has nothing to do with iphone 13 specifically :)