LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

Has any more been said about a potential speed boost for the iMac?

Daniel, all I've heard is that they may be coming sometime in November.

Thanks, Jeff. I'm not expecting an event out of it but a basic update that just pops up online one day - which would be fine by me as I'm not expecting much seeing as they god a boost in April, but I'd rather hold out if there's a chance they'll boost the base specs without pushing the price far North before the year's end.

I may try and swing by the Apple Store tomorrow if I have the time as I'd like to see the the Macbook Pros in the flesh. I must admit I have warmed to the design after looking at photos websites and owners have taken, but - again - I do feel like an iMac is going to give me more for my money at this point.

I'm warming to the new MacBook :) but it's just a little too steep for me still. I checked MacMall and other sites and even checked pricing with my brothers university but, I just can't get it under $1200 + tax. Some good news though, my original MacBook still sells for a fair amount and Apple have a recycle/trade-in program for credit towards a new Mac so I may be able to swing a new one that way...

They do ... It's under the US EDU site and the green program link. Problem is - I don't know what the trade-in on the MacBook would be. If it's not enough $ off then I'd be better served eBaying it.

Anyone here looking to upgrade/buy a new MB or MBP that might sell their original MBP? I'd be interested in that as a reasonable alternative to the new MB's...

I'm really surprised at how much the bottom is falling out on the remaining last gen MBPs. For instance one like the one I'm using now and paid $2500 for in April is now $1800. Its on par with the new unit, 2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo, 512MB 8600GT, etc. Just think at these prices it makes no sense not to go for the previous unit, plus you can still get a screen that is usable outside!

I stopped into the Apple Store tonight to pick up a second Mag Safe Adaptor for my MacBook, and naturally I checked out the new notebooks. If the crowd in the store was any indication, Apple is going to sell a ton of these new designs in the coming months.

Anyway, I briefly looked at the 13" MacBook and tried a few things out. As expected, the aluminum case feels very sturdy in your hands. When the computer is closed, it looks very slick, but I'm still not one hundred percent sold on the new look yet. Don't get me wrong. I do like the silver aluminum finish. I just wish that the border around the screen was silver like the MacBook Air. Right now, the black border sticking up out of the silver bottom part looks out-of-place. I think the biggest problem I have is that the frame around the screen itself is black and not silver like the rest of the computer. It just makes the top part of the computer feel out of place.

The keyboard felt pretty good. I didn't have much time to get to know the keyboard all that well, but I will say that I walked away thinking that it was an improvement over the white MacBook. However, please note that this opinion is based on about 30 seconds of typing in an environment that was not ideal for it. So, take it for what it's worth.

That said, I do like the feel of the new trackpads quite a bit, however. Having the additional multi-touch gestures is really nice, particularly the four-fingered ones that can active Expose and Spaces. I can imagine that would be an incredibly useful feature for someone like me, who uses them all the time. Also, the trackpad "button" felt much better than I expected. Apple got the feel of this thing just right, in my opinion. It really does feel like the button on the white model is still there, only now it's flush with the rest of the trackpad.

Overall, I'd say that it is a pretty good update. Some people might be upset about the omission of this or that, but the improved aluminum frame, better keyboard, and new trackpad more than make up for it. I'm not trading this computer for the new design, but I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to someone who was interested.

Has anyone else had a chance to see the new designs in person yet?

I've had them at home for the week and so far I'm loving them. I'm sorry that I have to hand them over to another editor actually.

I was just in an Apple store and checked 'em out. The keyboard did feel a touch more sturdy than the white MacBook's, but I still don't like that flat style.

I asked them about the 17-inchers and they checked: no more. They've only got the new models in stock, and as far as they know they aren't getting any more 17-inchers (nor any other old models, of course). I've seen the "they'll get a separate, quiet refresh" rumors and the "they're being phased out rumors" and... I guess I don't care, because I'm ordering me a 17-inch (with matte screen, yay) right now :) Yay old model.

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with that either. A company advertising how funny it is their competitor advertises? Mmmm.

I don't think the point was to make fun of the fact that Microsoft is spending a lot of money on advertising. The new ads are saying that all of that advertising isn't going to address all of the issues inherent in Vista. In fact, Microsoft's new ad campaign doesn't even address Vista by name, which is an odd thing to consider since they want to convince everyone how great it is with the "I'm a PC" campaign. Why not promote the latest and greatest if it's such a great platform?

Arrrrgh...my first gen iPhone is giving me fits. I brought this over here, didn't want to continue to hijack Fretster's FS thread.

Starting on Friday or so I am losing my cell signal very frequently. None of the other people with iPhones in my office are having trouble. It is basically unusable as a cell phone at the moment. I was about to go into the Apple Store today but found something on the web mentioning doing a "Restore Network Settings", I tried it and it seemed to work for an hour or so. Now it's back to the same old thing and nothing will fix it.

Any other ideas before I haul this thing in tomorrow and possibly pay for a stupid repair of some kind?

Have you tried restoring the phone from iTunes yet? That might fix whatever issues you're currently having.

Yeah, I did restore through iTunes, that was the first thing I did. I did also restore my settings afterwards, but that shouldn't have mattered. I wonder if I should just absolutely wipe the thing clean. I'll probably see what Apple says before I do that as a last step as then I would have to setup all of my mail, etc. again which would be a pain.

I actually took the SIM out, rebooted, put the SIM in, rebooted again, and right now everything is working. I'm just betting it will hose up again within a few hours.

So I've been looking at getting one of the new MacBooks as previously posted but, they are still pricey for me depending on the store... The same MacBook is vastly different prices depending on where I buy it from and unfortunately only 1 store seems to get it into my "range" and that's Apple's Canada Store. I have been looking at my various options because I'll be in the US again soon for a trip so could (in theory) pick it up from the UK before the trip, in the US during the trip or in Canada while there for a layover...

New Aluminum MacBook

US Store - $1299 USD

UK Store - $949 GBP

CA Store - $1399 CAN

With the current exchange rate (likely to remain in this range for the next few weeks) the UK store is only about 60 GBP more than buying it in the US (The reason is that the US model would also have tax on it whereas the UK model includes it) and I would get the correct wall plug :) and wouldn't be risking my warranty if bought here. So, I was leaning towards just saving for a little longer and buying it at a UK Apple store. However, with those same exchange rates, the Canadian Store price actually only costs me 700 GBP. This is right at my limit and is a fair savings off the prices fromnt he other stores.

So... is this even feasible? I am aware of customs issues going this route but, I believe I can get around those. Regardless, can I buy from the Canada store online and have it shipped to the US or UK? Is there more tax or anything I'm not aware of if it was purchased in-store in Canada? Any physical differences to the US model that I maybe wouldn't know (same AC plug and all as far as I know). Any help one way or the other woukld be much appreciated.

The US/Canada laptop is the same. Same voltage too. As far as customs and shipping...not sure how it works. My guess is that it'll restrict you from ordering and point you to the Apple Store destination (ie. Canada shipped = Canada store).

Isn't the UK keyboard layout a bit different? Might not be worth the hassle to buy an overseas product and use a voltage adaptor/adapot to the keyboard

My current systems is US so thats the keyboard I'd prefer anyway :) And as far as the voltage - its just an Apple adapter to fit the UK wall plug instead of a US wall plug. I already have one but it would be nice to have a spare thats all. I think you're probably right on the shipping though - unless I pick it up in-store in Canada or have it shipped to a Canadian address it wouldn't work. Any ideas on tax or anything that might be different if bought in-store?

For those of you using Time Machine and dont want (or can't) partition your drive to limit the amount of space Time Machine uses, I think there's now a solution...

Drobo just launched their DroboApps store, and it features a program called Time Tamer that does just that. Actually, it's an automator script that creates a "sparsebundle" on your Time Machine drive.

From the included documentation:

How
it
Works

OS
X
supports
a
special
type
of
disk
called
a
“sparsebundle”.
If
you
create
one

of
these
on
the
Drobo
used
for
Time
Machine
backups,
then
Time
Machine
will

automatically
use
it
provided
it
follows
Time
Machine’s
naming
convention.
This
is
a

combination
of
your
Mac’s
name
and
the
“MAC”
address

(which
a
serial

number)
for
its
Ethernet
port.

Sparsebundle
images
have
useful
properties:
you
can
limit
the
total
size
so
that
they

start
out
small
in
size
and
grow
as
data
is
added
to
them.

By
default,
Time
Tamer
limits
the
space
used
by
Time
Machine
to
twice
(2x)
the
size
of
your
Mac’s
system
drive.
If
you
want
to
change
this
to
a
different
value,
the
 “README”
file
contains
instructions
on
how
to
do
this
using
the
Terminal
app.

The best thing about this is, you don't need a Drobo to use it.

I have no issue with the space Time Machine uses on my Drobo but I do have a problem with "Time Machine Errors". Several times a day I'll find a dialog box that just says "Time Machine Error". Neither OS X or the Drobo give any indication why any issue occurred.

Time Machine successfully backs up enough that it isn't really a concern about losing data it's more of an annoyance. Anyone seen this?

I get the Time Machine Error dialog probably once a week. Im not really sure what causes it. It usually happens when Im not even using the computer.

I have a big problem with the space issue, because if it goes unchecked, Time Machine will just eat away at your external hard drive's space until it's full.