LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

I've had a bit of a drama with my 24 inch iMac lately around a simple problem - a dvd got stuck in the slot dvd drive and then the drive wasn't even being recognized by the OS. I won't get into all of the pain the repair has caused me, but I do want to give folks this warning. If I weren't under warranty, replacing what is by any account about a $50 part would have cost me over $500 based on the bill they gave me (over $300 for the drive, $100 for assessing the problem and $135 for actual repair time). So if you're buying an iMac, be darn sure to get the max AppleCare on it, because boy are they going to shake you down when it's up.

When migrating from one Mac to another whats the best option on the Migration Assistant? I just want to "import" my iTunes library and some specific apps and files without getting too much of my old crap on the system. Since both systems are on Leopard would I just use Migrate from Time Machine Backup? Is there an option to select only the specific files, directories and apps that I want? If not that one - Do I need to do the Mac to Mac option where they try to detect each other? Forgive the questions but I have not "migrated" before and to be honest I didn't think it would be this easy or have so many options (looks like I can even just restore my most recent Time Machine backup onto the new system but that would carry over alot of old apps too right?

Is this even a problem? Now that I'm thinking about it there are no old registry entries or anything lingering around and slowing down my system are there? And any apps I don't want I can just drag to the trash right...? I just didn't want any old "bloat" to slow down the new system.

Uuuggghhh... yea - thanks for clarification. It would still work out cheaper but, not by enough to matter then :) Thanks though

I’d still have been wary of getting one through UK customs, personally.

I’m still undecided about my next Mac purchase (about whether to make it a Macbook Pro on an iMac). Rumours continue of a November performance bump for the iMacs. I'm thinking it'll be an iMac so I can finally introduce a desktop Mac into my life, and they're cheaper than the Macbook Pro's and - I think - better value for money at this point in time by comparison.

Still, I've got a lunch meeting on Friday just off of Regent Street so I'll pop into the Apple Store to take a look at the MBs and MBPs in the flesh.

Apple responds to the "I'm a PC" campaign from Microsoft.

Bean Counter

The V-Word

Very funny!

Those ads were very funny. But it is ironic that Apple has always done a lot of advertising, obviously spent a lot of money, and Microsoft has done almost nothing. And now Microsoft does their first significant advertising since Windows 95 launch and Apple says they spend too much on advertising?

It is non-sensical but funny. But more than anything it is so for the hardcore like us. Which isn't a bad thing. Because it exposes chumps like me to Apple more. I'm closer to buying a Mac today than I've ever been. Though not that close.

New MacBook in-hand now... This thing is impossibly thin and light :) I actually like the new trackpad thing too. In actual usage its like the same old trackpad, just different. The screen looks great but I can see how this would Never be workable outside.

Thinking of doing my "migration" via Time Machine backup tonight... I'm not sure how the iTunes library transfer or the licenses and such will work with a migration though - Anyone?

Thinking of doing my "migration" via Time Machine backup tonight... I'm not sure how the iTunes library transfer or the licenses and such will work with a migration though - Anyone?

You should be able to transfer your files over without any problem. When you go play a song that you purchased from iTunes, the system will prompt you to authorize the computer for your account. Enter your username and password and you're done.

Oh, and if you're getting rid of your old computer, be sure to de-authorize it.

Those ads were very funny. But it is ironic that Apple has always done a lot of advertising, obviously spent a lot of money, and Microsoft has done almost nothing. And now Microsoft does their first significant advertising since Windows 95 launch and Apple says they spend too much on advertising?

It is non-sensical but funny. But more than anything it is so for the hardcore like us. Which isn't a bad thing. Because it exposes chumps like me to Apple more. I'm closer to buying a Mac today than I've ever been. Though not that close.

I think that's the point of the ad. To insinuate Microsoft never does advertising until they have a crappy product to cover up.

17-inch MacBook Pro has arrived. It's my first Apple computer. Very nice :) I love the big 1920x1200 matte display.

I actually just did a Vista install yesterday. All of a sudden those Apple commercials all make sense.

Couple of questions...

- I can dual-boot Windows right? There's some free Apple tool for that?

- Anyone used the DVI output to a TV? I found the options for that a little lacking. My TV overscans a little, and there's only one checkbox to compensate for that which results in the whole image being scaled down (way smaller than it needs to be for my TV, and the scaling makes it a little blurry). And it can't do 1080p (only 1080i)? D'oh. 1080i with the overscan is usable, but it could certainly be better... is there any way?

- I can dual-boot Windows right? There's some free Apple tool for that?

Boot Camp Assistant under Macintosh HD -> Applications -> Utilities

- Anyone used the DVI output to a TV? I found the options for that a little lacking. My TV overscans a little, and there's only one checkbox to compensate for that which results in the whole image being scaled down (way smaller than it needs to be for my TV, and the scaling makes it a little blurry). And it can't do 1080p (only 1080i)? D'oh. 1080i with the overscan is usable, but it could certainly be better... is there any way?

There's something up with the way some TV's send EDID info (i.e. resolution capabilities) or the way OS X interprets it. On the 1080i/p issue, one way I've gotten around it before is to check "Show displays in menu bar" under the Displays preference pane, and in the dropdown it adds to the OS X menu bar two 1920x1080 options may appear instead of just the one you get in the prefpane. Selecting the other one should give you progressive instead of interlaced.

Ah, more apps and utilities, cool :) Thanks guys (haven't tried the TV thing yet, but I'll see soon).

Something else. I installed Opera. When I run it I get an Opera icon on my desktop (representing the opened package, I think). Sup with that? It stays open even after Opera is closed, but I can go an "Eject" it if I want to get rid of it. Can you unpack it or something? Or can I just stop those icons from appearing on my desktop? I couldn't see how to get rid of the Macintosh HD icon, either. I kinda like a clean desktop...

On that note, any way to not have a background? Seems like I can only pick from certain solid colours, and black isn't one of them.

Covak;

When you download an application from the Internet such as Opera, you'll see a new disc image appear on the desktop. Open the disc to find the icon for application you want to install. In most cases, all you have to do is drag the icon into your Applications folder and you'll install the program. Once you intall it, you can eject the disc image by dragging it to the Trash.

Conversely, if you want to uninstall an application, all you have to do is drag the application to the Trash and then empty it. Cool, no? :)

Also, you should be able to put a black background color on your desktop. I haven't tried this, but do you have a color wheel that comes up when you want to select the background color? If so, there should be slider for the wheel to darken or lighten the colors. Slide it all the way down and you will get the black background you want.

Covak;

When you download an application from the Internet such as Opera, you'll see a new disc image appear on the desktop. Open the disc to find the icon for application you want to install. In most cases, all you have to do is drag the icon into your Applications folder and you'll install the program. Once you intall it, you can eject the disc image by dragging it to the Trash.

Conversely, if you want to uninstall an application, all you have to do is drag the application to the Trash and then empty it. Cool, no? :)

Also, you should be able to put a black background color on your desktop. I haven't tried this, but do you have a color wheel that comes up when you want to select the background color? If so, there should be slider for the wheel to darken or lighten the colors. Slide it all the way down and you will get the black background you want.

It is very cool :) I think I had dragged the Opera icon from within the image to the dock, hence the image being opened when I ran it. Once I grabbed it from Applications instead, no problem. Bye bye image :)

No colour wheel for selecting the background colour. It's not like you get to pick a colour so much as you get to pick from 10 solid colour pictures. I suppose I'll just make myself a black 1920x1200 image :)

Covak;

Here's what you do. Go to Desktop and Screen Saver in System Preferences. Select Solid Colors for the sidebar. In the drop down menu above the colors (where it says "Fit to Screen, Fill Screen, etc.) you'll see a colored box. Click on it. That will bring up the color wheel I described. You should be able to figure it out from there.

Huh, I only get that drop down menu with my own images. When picking the backgrounds that came with the system, it's just not there. And since my own image is just black, anyways... it's all good now :)

Covak;

Just a thought, but the background images Apple ships with its computers are all 1920 x 1200 pixels. Since your MacBook Pro comes with a screen that runs at that resolution, I wonder if the system just automatically disables that function since you wouldn't need it anyway.

All migrated and working on new Macbook now :) Damn that was easy... I was expecting to have to reinstall several apps and "re-authorize" virtually everything just because thats how it would work moving from one PC to another. So great to not have to do that. I used migration assistant, it installed and copied everything I wanted over from my most recent Time Machine backup (100Gb or so) off my external drive and was up and running in about 30 minutes TOTAL. No need to redo any of the WiFi network settings, no need to plug in my keys for Quicktime or Fusion - it all just worked. Man that kicks ass :rock

I also put BootCamp on the new system, installed Vista and loaded all the drivers, etc. That is all done now and working great too but that part took 2 freakin' hours?!? Man, I won't miss that shit... Anyway. After using it for a few hours last night I am very impressed with the screen and overall design. The screen looks so evenly "lit" and so crisp that it is a major upgrade by itself IMO. Again though, the screen should be considered unusable when in daylight. My previous MacBook was already a great machine but, this one simply blows me away. The solid aluminum body, the clean edges, the weight, the new trackpad - all of it feels just about perfect.

I used it on battery for a while specifically to see if it got hot underneath or anything like the MacBook did and it did not give off any heat. My original one would get hot underneath in about 30 min. of use right where the battery sits. It still worked great and the battery still held a long charge but it would get hot to the touch. The new one however, did not get hot to the touch anywhere after roughly 60min. of use on battery. Very impressive. as far as use in Vista - I immediately set the touchpad to "tap" to click and have not had any issues. Installing games and other software tonight so will post more after that. :)

I used it on battery for a while specifically to see if it got hot underneath or anything like the MacBook did and it did not give off any heat. My original one would get hot underneath in about 30 min. of use right where the battery sits. It still worked great and the battery still held a long charge but it would get hot to the touch. The new one however, did not get hot to the touch anywhere after roughly 60min. of use on battery.

That's fantastic! How hot does it get when you run it at a high CPU utilization? My Macbook Pro gets hot to the touch, to where you wouldnt want it on your lap, whenever it runs anything even slightly intensive.

I messed around with the new Macbooks today, and the fist initial impression and biggest change for me was just how sturdy the thing is since it's made of one piece. You can definitely tell the difference from my (comparatively) creaky Macbook Pro.

Also felt the bottom of them since these were the ones in the store all the time. They felt a little warm and by no means hot. I still would like to test one running at full blast for several minutes.

Played WAR last night on the Macbook for a couple hours then went straight into Vampire:TM Bloodlines :) The machine did start to get warm after 2 hours or so and stayed warm while I played through a little of Vamp. It didn't get anywhere near as hot as my previous Macbook and it was never uncomfortable in my lap. The warmest spots after 2+ hours of gaming were (when facing the screen) back-left side underneath - where the battery is under the cover if I'm not mistaken) and on the left-upper side of the keyboard; just above the WASD keys. Don't knwo the actual temps but on my previous mac, when sitting directly on my legs after 2+ hours I woudl start to worry that it was burning the hairs off my legs :) On the new Mac it never felt more than warm.

In other news - WAR played beautifully on the new Mac as expected (I watched all the "Gaming on the new Macs" YouTube vids I could find). I set all in-game settings to High and set the res at 1280x800 with no problems. Played pretty much identical to my desktop in speed and fluidity - just at the obviously lower res and without AA or AF forced on the driver. Vampire worked really well too but I had to play it at 1024x768. I loaded the official 1.2 patch, then the res patch as well as the most recent user patch but it would only go to a black screen after loading or starting a new game if I set it to 1280x800. All worked fine and looked as good as ever at 1024 though so thats o.k. Haven't tried any others yet but, will install Crysis just to benchmark and probably Bioshock after that :)

Were you just loading and playing the games via Bootcamp, Dave? Whenever I do move to a more powerful Macbook or an Apple based desktop I'd certainly like it if I can get Rollcercoaster Tyccoon 3 and the Total War games running.

I was running these games via bootcamp on the new MAc yes. I also noticed that I only had 3Gb of space left in my Vista partition.. Stupid default System Restore setting was to use 30% of my free space so I deleted the backup images, turned it off and cleaned out the rest of the files - all better now. Still having issues with Vampire: after switching to the 1280 res again to test I was still getting the black screen issue. Switched back to 1024 and I still get the black screen now :( I know what the issue is - refresh rate for the LCD but, I can't remember the switch to add to the exe to force it back > uuggghhh. Anyway, played WAR some more last night and it was still great - no performance issues at all :) Loaded SP1 on the Vista install and updated a few other programs. Installed a better color profile for the LCD under OSX (I got it from MR Forums) it looks dramatically better IMO :)

Pretty much all set on the new MacBook at this point... I'll just load whatever other games I want to play on the Windows partition and spend the rest of my time in OSX :)Extremely Happy with the new machine

It was my first time seeing the Macbooks and Pros in the flesh at Regent Street today and I have to say I think they?re very good indeed. The screen glare wasn?t as problematic as I had feared. It?s blatant, there?s no pretending otherwise, but I?d agree that the LED brightness prevents it from being an absolute deal breaker (and the ceiling lights and the light coming in through the store?s enormous windows it held up well). The touchpad was also very agreeable which was a relief.

I?m still probably going to go for an iMac after the next update as my desktop PC is making a lot of noise, but next in line will definitely be an MBP to replace my iBook.