LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

Found the refresh rate switch for the vampire.exe : its "-rate #" :)

Installed Fallout 3 on the MacBook today and played to the point of leaving Vault 101... No issues whatsoever on the Mac with this game :) I don't have specific framerates but, playing at 1280x800 with high textures, NO AA or AF and all other settings on medium. Still looks really good and played smooth. (I'd guess 25 fps) Some combat sections chugged a little but really not much and never what I'd call unplayable but, it is Worlds faster on the desktop PC :) Still... nice to have the option to play it on both.

Played some more Fallout 3 on the MacBook over the weekend as well as WAR (obviously). After about 5 hours straight (blame Fallout) The lapttop was still at about the same heat level as the 2 hr "test run" I did but the fans were more noticable. It never got uncomfortable in my lap due to heat and the fan noise was never as loud as the original MB got and no performance issues during the entire playtime.

Also did several new encodes and the new Mac is definitely faster so thats great too :) Converted Dexter episode using my standard preset (posted elsewhere ion this forum) and the same file that took 36min on previous MacBook took 19min on the new one. This is just converting an HD AVI to 720x480 H.264 so not that intensive but savess me time so I'm good with it.

This is just about the perfect all-around machine - exactly what I wanted so (as previously posted ;) ) I am thrilled with the new machine.

p.s. I'll stop posting all my "That New MacBook smell" type posts now heheheh :P

I see rumours are circulating about a 10th of November iMac update. My wallet has begun quaking in fear. There's some talk that the Minis may see an update too.

Quad core iMac maybe?

I see rumours are circulating about a 10th of November iMac update. My wallet has begun quaking in fear. There's some talk that the Minis may see an update too.

Quad core iMac maybe?

They have mini rumors for every single event... I'm dying for an update... but I'm not going to get my hopes up again :).

Luckily, my work ordered my new macbook, and i should have it today or tomorrow i think... so I'm not completely in the pre-intel stone age anymore... (Two powerbook g4's and a G5)

so I'm not completely in the pre-intel stone age anymore...

I must be the only one left.

p.s. I'll stop posting all my "That New MacBook smell" type posts now heheheh

I quite enjoy your MacBook posts actually. Not that I need them as motivation to buy one, mind you. Have plenty of that. No, it's money so in the meantime I'll enjoy the new MacBook through your posts. :)

So what do you think they'll be talking about at Macworld besides Snow Leopard? Everything has been refreshed.

Im predicting either they reveal the much rumored Mac Tablet, or they'll have a major update to the AppleTV and the Mac Mini, or maybe even a hybrid device.

Thoughts?

HD movie purchases on iTunes?

1080p maybe, even for rentals. iTunes subscription please, that would be nice.

I hope tons of Snow Leopard stuff.

It looks like we can all go ahead with our purchases now.

Apple: No new products before the holidays

Despite Internet rumors of forthcoming product releases, an Apple representative confirmed that the company has no plans to release any new products before the holidays.

“Our holiday line-up is set,” Apple spokesman Bill Evans told Macworld.

Heheheh Well, per Angel's blessing <whew> I'll continue on about the new MacBook... :D

Video encodes are amazing on the new machine compared to the old one - I love that it saves me a chunk of time... I converted (3) 1 hour eps last night while surfing... Not a possibility on the old machine using the same software - and it was no slouch (old one was a C2D T7220). The conversions are just so much easier to handle now instead of trying to que up 3-4 at a time to run overnight. I know I know... It's not that big a deal :) but, this is just a significantly larger benefit than I expected. Gaming continues to be on par with my expectations as well: No issues with Fallout 3 or WAR so far despite a few heavy play sessions. No changes with the heat to report either: it gets warm after a few hours of gaming but not as hot as the older MacBook and never uncomfortable (no hair burning) :)

As to MacWorld updates - I'd expect to see moderate refreshes to the iMac and MacMini but nothing overwhelming... Just likely the new Nvidia chipsets and graphics adapters and probably bumps to the HDD and maybe the default RAM. Still, the iMac's would benefit from the new Nvidia chipset and DDR3 RAM speed (and GPU accelerated encodes) :) Not sure if the Nvidia chips would beat the ATI cards they already have though but, a Mini (at the same price) with a 9400M chip would kick the Intel chip's ass.

I borrowed mom's Apple bluetooth mouse to try with my MacBook. Holy hell, the mouse acceleration/decceleration is killing me. I'm trying the various fixes I'm finding, but so far nothing is quite right. Anyone else annoyed by this (and done anything about it)?

I saw one post somewhere that said if you get an MS mouse it comes with drivers to make it work just like in Windows. I wonder if the same goes for Logitech? I'd probably be happiest with a trusty old Logitech wired mouse, assuming I can have the same cursor movement as I'm used to in Windows.

Just how much faster the cursor moves as you move the mouse faster. I read somewhere that things are better with a higher dpi mouse, and that certainly seems to be the case. Unfortunately my Logitech mouse isn't one they support under OS X, but installing the Logitech Control Center anyways seems to give me different mouse behaviour, with way less psycho accel/deccel. Perfectly usable now. I think I'll pick from one they full support under OS X...

Try this: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/27620

I had a couple issues with it but it is pretty highly regarded.

I have used a Logitech mouse and a Mightly Mouse on my Mac and have never quite been satisfied. My issue has always been that both mice felt less "accurate" than any mouse I've used under Windows. Subtle movements like clicking a checkbox under OS X require much more precision than they did in Windows. Maybe it's actually too accurate...I don't know but it's annoying.

Ouu, I'll check that out, thanks. I had some settings I liked dialed in with USB Overdrive, but it still wasn't quite right. Usable, at least...

Pretty shocking problem to me (and many others, I'm finding out). I thought mice were kinda worked out years ago, ya know? :)

Gents, answer me these questions three (actually it's just one).

I've been playing with the new Macbook all day and I really am tremendously fond of the updates (the screen really is the only "problem"). I think Dave has said all that needs to be said, but I'm mulling over the Macbook Pro's again with an eye to potentially just making it my main computer as I'm thinking more seriously about the benefits of having all that power in a portable unit allowing me to take my work with me and show it to people...etc...etc, and I'm also considering the benefits of connecting such a device to something like my Pioneer plasma when doing editing work.

So I'm looking at the two models Apple offer, the 2.4ghz and the 2.53. The latter is bumped to 4GB as standard, with a 320GB HDD vs the 2.4ghz's 250GB and the 2.53 has 512mb graphics over the 256mb of the 2.4. As far as intensive software goes I'm going to be using Final Cut Studio (primarily Final Cut Pro itself) and Aperture 2 so basically what I want to know is, is there anything in the 2.53Ghz model that justifies it's ?350 premium for what I will be using? ...keep in mind that if I got the 2.4ghz I'd bump it to 4GB buying the memory elsewhere. So basically I am asking is the tiny update in processing speed and the 512mb graphics going to be seriously important?

So basically I am asking is the tiny update in processing speed and the 512mb graphics going to be seriously important?

No.

I think the extra RAM on the graphics card would be more of a loss than the processor speed but even that won't be noticeable in real world use. Even with Apple putting more and more emphasis on offloading tasks to the video card the difference would be negligible to anyone not measuring in tenths of a second.

I saw a woman today send her first pictures over email today using a Mac, this was after owning a PC for 5 years. My wife's co-worker needed a new PC and I went to help her, convinced her to give the Mac a shot. She bought the 2.4Ghz 20" iMac. Other first for her today, her own personal email(old one was shared with now ex-husband), she bought her first song off iTunes, put songs she likes on a 2nd Gen Nano(her ex loaded it before he left and she never could figure out how to change the songs so the Nano sat unused). We also got her an external HD for Time Machine back ups. All in all I think she's set up for many years to come.

No.

I think the extra RAM on the graphics card would be more of a loss than the processor speed but even that won't be noticeable in real world use. Even with Apple putting more and more emphasis on offloading tasks to the video card the difference would be negligible to anyone not measuring in tenths of a second.

Cheers. What make or RAM would be good to partner with it? I think the new models require DDR3 1066 mhz 200 pin based RAM.

Edited by Doctor Hoo

In terms of brand? I don't think that matters but others may have an opinion regarding specific brands. IMO, as long as the RAM you select matches Apple's specs you will be fine. It's much better than trying to buy RAM for the Mac Pro...don't even get me started on that one!

Cheers. What make or RAM would be good to partner with it? I think the new models require DDR3 1066 mhz 200 pin based RAM.

Can't go wrong with Crucial.

That's interesting. I just looked at Crucial's UK site and they are quoting me ?105 for the 4GB of DDR3 for the latest Macbook range. Apple themselves want ?100 for a 4GB upgrade.

My other question was about drive speed. Should I be looking at 7200rpm or will the 5400rm do just fine? Photography work would initially be on the internal HDD, then moved to external storage. Most video editing would be stored externally.

Edited by Doctor Hoo