LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

Good to read your comments Joey.  I didn't get a chance to hit the mall yesterday but going to try tonight.

I've had the Air for a few days now and am very happy with the upgrade. All the device updates (hardware) are excellent, it's significantly faster at loading web pages or reloading tabs than my ipad 3 was and all in a much lighter chassis. Gaming so far hasn't looked much different (to be expected) but, almost everything loads instantly and plays noticeably smoother. IB3 is an easy example - it played fine on the old ipad but, on the new one it loads in a few seconds and there is no stutter in any fights so far whereas before, the dragon fights caused noticeable stutter. Very pleased so far...

I've been using the new Air almost non stop this week and it really is every bit as great as I hoped it would be. As a replacement for my iPad 3 it is so much lighter and easier to hold and does almost everything faster. But, it sucks that none of my previous accessories fit the new one; not just the 30pin dock stuff but, the Smart Cover, sleeve - everything. I did get a gift card with purchase from the shop I got the Air from here in the UK so I'll be able to replace the smart cover for free but, I'd still rather have kept my old one. Regardless, it's a small price to pay for the new form factor.

Work apps for me have all been excellent but, nothing is really all that "different" on the Air - iWork apps, PPT's and stuff all seem pretty much the same but do seem to load a little faster. No extra crashes on anything either which is good. None of the video apps I use except Skype and FaceTime work in HD yet but, I will say that the battery seems to last longer when I'm on video on the Air than it did on the iPad 3.

Gaming has been mostly excellent as previously posted - Most games look the same on the Air as they did on the iPad 3 with a few looking much better with the new graphic effects, and everything plays smoother and loads faster so that's great.

iPad Mini with Retina Display went on sale today online only for now.  I'd love to see one before pulling the trigger.

Apple's sales this year are all about giving you gift cards. If your looking for an apple TV they are giving you a $25 card which is not bad at all. 

My wife scored an iPhone 5S online through Best Buy last night. $75 off a 32GB space grey AT&T model. She won't be able to pick it up until Monday however since she's working all weekend.

Seems the Mac Pro is very user-friendly when it comes to configuring and upgrading the system. Even the CPU can be removed.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/31/teardown-of-new-mac-pro-reveals-surprising-amount-of-accessibility-circular-daugtherboard/

I'm plotting a rather large project for 2014 and I think I may bite on a Mac Pro in the first quarter of the New Year.

CPU swap in detail

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/03/mac-pro-cpu-upgradeability-confirmed-with-processor-swap/

Even though the top end iMac apparently beats the base Mac Pro on geek bench scores the upgrade factor is certainly a plus, even if you are having to pay the premium for it. The limitation of course will likely be when Intel move away from LGA 2011 sockets. 

My MacBook Pro died.  This was James' computer.  I'm not ready to let it go yet so I'm getting the new logic board it needs.  It stands to reason that immediately after getting the Alienware the Mac dies!  Unbelievable.  I'm just glad they still supply the parts to fix it.  I have to admit the new ones with Retina display are very tempting but emotionally I'm not ready for them.  And I tell myself next year there'll be something even more amazing out there and I'll be glad I waited!

I can completely understand not wanting to part with it. Is it an expensive fix?

My Macbook Pro will be five this summer which, I must say, has served me well, although for the last couple of years I have done little work on it that has demanded strong horsepower. I at least managed to breathe a bit more life into it last year with a ram and ssd upgrade which made photo work a little smoother. I keep thinking about how much work I can get done on an iPad, but in the past year I have begun to fall in love with the Macbook Air and would dearly love to end up with one towards the end of 2014. If I am to get a Mac Pro as a desktop (jury is still out on that) then an Air would suit me perfectly for portable work. My 15 inch 2009 MBP is just too heavy and too big to take anywhere, especially with camera equipment - and it now no longer runs on its battery. I like to keep things light which I suppose is why I have more recently come to respect the Air as something of a masterpiece of design. 

It's not as expensive as a new Mac Pro, but still over $600.  I think I would love the Air, but I checked out the Retina display and I do like that.  James' Mac Pro will be 6 this year.  I think he talked about getting it near the beginning of this thread actually!  It was for the Audio Engineering program; he wasn't really a Mac person.  

I'm having to use James' old desk top right now.  Usually I turn it on about once a month just to make sure it's working.  I'm actually quite enjoying the experience.  Windows really isn't as bad as I remembered!  But I keep going to use the trackpad and then I realize "oh right, the mouse".  At least it has a scroll wheel that approximates the 2 finger scrolling of the Mac.  That is one thing I do miss.

Quick question about Mail in Mavericks. I'm using POP for a number of personal email accounts (by personal I mean non gmail/cloud based) and was thinking of switching them to IMAP but is there a way to set up IMAP email to, for example, store incoming and outgoing emails locally on my main Apple computer, but not on the iPhone/ipad? 

I haven't a clue how to answer your question Dan!  I have no idea what  difference there is between IMAP and POP sad to say.  Oh wait, some kind of protocol?  Vague recollections.

On a happier note  I have the MacPro back and it all seems to be working just as well as ever.  I'm so glad I didn't give up on it.  I love the feel of this thing and I swear it's just as zippy as the new laptop.  I wish it were just a little bit lighter, but that's probably old age talking!

My dearest fellow nerds, how would a core i7 Macbook Air with 8GB ram compare to my ageing mid 2009 2.66 core 2 duo Macbook Pro (which I upgraded with 8GB ram and an ssd). The MBP is my sole computer so it serves me for web, writing and photography work with Lightroom and Photoshop (graphics card in the MBP is an NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB).