LCVG

Far Cry 2 (PC) Discussion Thread

Covak

I just started playing the PC version.

Holy shit :) On its "Ultra" settings it runs about as well as Crysis for me, only I can have 4xAA on and, overall, I think it looks better, and not just artistically. The shadow maps are incredibly high-res. The LOD pop-in is wonderfully minimal and smooth. Long car rides don't show the slightest background loading hiccups or anything like that. The framerate keeps nice and steady when there's lots going on. Indoors looks great. There's a really consistent, high-quality look to everything and it all meshes really well.

Must go play more! :D If it'll keep running, anyways...

Just after the intro the game suddenly vanished and the Windows firewall was asking me if I wanted to continue blocking Far Cry 2 :/ As soon as you get control, I'd recommend a save! The intro isn't short or skippable. Then a moment later when I first tried to bring up the map it just kinda froze, visually, with sound still going on. Then, after playing for a bit with no problems I saved and quit, only I never quit made it back to my desktop (and CTRL-ALT-DEL just gave me an error sound, heh), so I had to reboot. Good old PC gaming :)

What are you running on the PC side Covak? Curious to see what kind of performance I'll be looking at. I run Crysis and Warhead at a decent clip on high settings and no AA (and with console tweaks and stuff like the CCC pack I can usually maintain 30fps througout the majority of the experience) so I would imagine this will run like dream.:)

I haven't seen the AI do anything special, but they're not bad. I lose them as often as they lose me (when they lose sight of you they don't magically know where you are or just rush your last position blindly). And they do seem to fan out at come at you from all sides if you're not careful.

Once I ducked down over a hill to heal and I heard some baddie on the other side of the hill say "I don't like the way this fight is going." And then he jumped in a vehicle, motored over the hill and tried to run me over :) They seem pretty good about trying to ram you when the opportunity is there.

Oh, once I heard a guy coming, seemed to be on the other side of a huge tree from me. Then I heard a grenade, and an explosion, and he went flying. I considered it a fumble :)

I usually hate it when you or the AI take so many bullets to kill, but I've had some intense gunfights in which I had to fall back to new cover several times, so I'm warming up to the way they've balanced things. The fights taking so long gives time for things to burn and explode, too :)

What are you running on the PC side Covak? Curious to see what kind of performance I'll be looking at. I run Crysis and Warhead at a decent clip on high settings and no AA (and with console tweaks and stuff like the CCC pack I can usually maintain 30fps througout the majority of the experience) so I would imagine this will run like dream.:)

Q6600, 8800 GT. The way I ran Crysis it was around 35 FPS in the busy parts. This game, at max settings, same resolution, with 4xAA added, runs about the same. I've since dropped from Ultra High to Very High, though. Some detail pops in a little closer, but it still looks just as awesome overall, and the framerate is more mid 40s than 30s. Feels good.

EDIT: Oh, and no more crashing problems (been playing almost 4 hours straight). When I quit the game I end up with my desktop resolution set to whatever I was running the game at, which is mildly annoying, but I'll live.

Edited by Covak

Yeah, Q6600 and 9800GTX+ (I OC'd my 9800GTX to GTX+ levels) here and I'm ZOOMING along. I installed Nvidia's new beta drivers (which they released specifically for Far Cry 2) and I'm running 1680x1050 with 2xaa and a mix of Very High and Ultra settings and averaging 40+ fps when I pull up FRAPS.:tu I pulled out my 9800GX2 a bit ago to do some testing but I may pop it in this weekend to check out the performance. I've read that Far Cry 2 HATES the GX2 though.:( I'm glad I kept my GTX.

The game makes fantastic use of multicore CPU's by the way. I've seen some example of the CPU usage on the DUNIA engine and having a multicore CPU (especually a quad core) really makes a marked difference here. Apparently, DX10 is also faster than DX9 by 5-7FPS in some cases which is pretty significant. It's the first DX10 game I've seen that's actually faster and looks better. When all is said and done the Dunia engine is most definitely not Crysis. Though it doesn't look as good, it's wonderfully optimized. Now i need to look into that Vista dual boot sooner:).

Also, if you have a 360 controller the game automatically detects as such and sets up the controls as though you were playing on the console. I know more games are doing this and I like it though I prefer the mouse+kb.

I managed one screenshot though it's not the best to show off the visuals. I'll take more soon...

[ATTACH]3719[/ATTACH]

Ran a benchmark. I changed some settings around to try and get a solid and consistent framerate. Here are my benchmark results:

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1680x1050 (60Hz), D3D9, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(2x), VSync(Yes), Overall Quality(Custom), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Very High), Geometry(Very High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Very High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

Average Framerate: 36.60

Max. Framerate: 51.70

Min. Framerate: 28.87

I was originally going to pick up the 360 version but I'm SOOO glad I went with the PC version.

I was originally going to pick up the 360 version but I'm SOOO glad I went with the PC version.

I'll second that :)

Isn't that benchmark tool wonderful? :) The map editor seems to rock, too. Very nice extras!

I was wondering about using a 360 controller, because driving with the keyboard kinda blows. I'll have to try that.

I've found the two biggest framerate killers are Fire and the Geometry setting. Lowering Geometry leads to more noticeable LOD popping, but it can really give a big FPS jump in tough spots.

I'm also a doofus, and not running the latest beta drivers. When I checked for them I didn't realize it lists the beta drivers down below (assumed they were just for newer cards so far). I'll have to compare benchmarks after installing them (which will be easy as pie thanks to the sweet tool)...

I was wondering about using a 360 controller, because driving with the keyboard kinda blows. I'll have to try that.

Having tried it I might end up playing with it now.:lol The mouse feels like it's DESIGNED for a controller. It has this kind of sluggishness to it that I don't get in other shooters. It feels really damn natural on the 360 controller though! The driving is also a great deal better.

Having tried it I might end up playing with it now.:lol The mouse feels like it's DESIGNED for a controller. It has this kind of sluggishness to it that I don't get in other shooters. It feels really damn natural on the 360 controller though! The driving is also a great deal better.

Mouse smoothing makes a huge difference, but I didn't like it (awesome for aiming, but you have to move your mouse at a certain speed to get the view whipping around, which annoyed me).

The new drivers made absolutely no difference with my 8800 GT. Oh well :)

I just ran a bunch of benchmarks and found what I was seeing in-game: Geometry is about the only setting that makes any difference for me. The framerate difference between everything High and everything Ultra High is mostly just that one setting for me. AA is the next big thing (2x much faster than 4x).

I'm playing it like this right now, but I'm not sure if I can stomach only 2xAA (note the low resolution :))... 4xAA brings the average and minimum FPS down by 6-7 FPS, though...

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1024x768 (150Hz), D3D9, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(2x), VSync(No), Overall Quality(Custom), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

(that's everything besides AA and Geometry at their highest)

Average Framerate: 46.05

Max. Framerate: 62.20

Min. Framerate: 40.63

Compared to other games on this PC (mostly Crysis), and considering the visuals, I give this engine a huge :tu

I also meant to say: I was worried about the gun play at first, because that first automatic you get is just pathetic. The muzzle-flash is so huge that it gets in your way when you're using the iron sight, and since it takes a million bullets to kill anyone that's a big problem! It's also not very accurate, and I don't like how it sounds. It's easier to use with the crosshair on, but that big, bright white crosshair really spoils the no-HUD mood.

But the sniper rifle makes it all so much better :) That, and sneaking up for handgun headshots (the handguns, at first anyway, are way more accurate for that than the rifles!).

I'll see if an upgraded rifle is any good sometime, but I'm enjoying the sniper rifle way too much right now. A chest shot usually kills, and if not it cripples (and there are many fun ways to finish off the cripples :)). I'm anxious to get my hands on a silent handgun (soon)...

I just assaulted some random fort (you know there gotta be diamonds in there!) at sunrise and it was just all so damn beautiful. The day/night cycling is gorgeous, and I love how long it takes (I'm about 5 hours in and I haven't quite been through a day yet... and I slept for 4 game hours). The sky, and the overall atmosphere, is awesome :)

Once you get out of the first hour and a half or so of playtime and the world opens up - boy does it start to really get good. I love how the missions offered can be tackled in several ways and the relationships you've developed can offer different methods of accomplishing the goal. I can see myself spending lots of time with this:).

I just need to find that time though with Fallout 3, Fable II and Little Big Planet in the next week alone! I'm glad I decided to hold off on Bioshock PS3 this week afterall...

Dang, 4am already? I guess I'll continue in the morning...

I wouldn't say the AI is smart, but I like it. So many times I've run for cover and then turned back to look at where I was getting shot from and thought "Where the heck did they go?" That alone feels different from just about every other shooter I've played.

I once saw a guy run towards a shack when he lost sight of me. I watched the shack for a few seconds but he wasn't popping out. So I crept over and eventually circled the shack without seeing him. So I went inside the shack and that's when I finally caught a glimpse of him. He was sneaking around the shack, too :) He seemed to crawl along one side, take a few seconds to look around, then crawl to the next corner, much like I had done myself. That was neat.

I like the way guys react if you point your gun in a cease-fire zone, too :)

I was supposed to rescue my best friend at one point, but I accidentally blew him up. I thought about reloading, of course, but I'm curious to play this one straight and see how it unfolds. So he's just plain dead and gone :(

I like the way guys react if you point your gun in a cease-fire zone, too

Ha, I love that too. Especially if you keep the fun aimed at one of the soldiers. Eventually a few of his buddies will come to his aid and start aiming at you. It ends up being a big nasty showdown.:lol I've wanted to just start shooting just to see how the whole thing plays out.

I also agree that the AI isn't exactly smart but they are definitely competent and do some unique things.

From Ubi's forums, if you're not getting surround sound...

edit the file DARE.INI in the "\Far Cry 2\Data_Win32\SoundBinary" folder. Edit the line:

DISABLE_OPTIMISATION=TRUE

to:

DISABLE_OPTIMISATION=FALSE

Worked for me. Full positional audio now.

Works for me, too.

Apparently this game gets it's aspect ratio from your desktop resolution, so if you try to play in a different one you'll stretch/squish things. So people with widescreen monitors are saying 4:3 is messed, and people with 4:3 monitors are saying widescreen is messed, lol :)

In your My Documents\My Games\Far Cry 2\GamerProfile.xml file there are a few handy settings that aren't available in-game...

Smoothness

Smoothness_Ironsight

If you enable mouse smoothing those two settings come into play (both are 1 by default). I hated the mouse smoothing at first, but if you turn "Smoothness" off (0) and leave "Smoothness_Ironsight" at 1, it's beautiful. No wacky acceleration when running around and silky-smooth sight aiming.

There's also a WaterQuality setting, which you can drop for a nice FPS boost around water.

P.S. I don't play with the FRAPS number up :P I just feel when it's chugging and then maybe stop to investigate and play with settings. As a framerate whore I love that aspect of PC gaming. It doesn't hurt immersion. Slowdowns hurt immersion for me. The time I take to alleviate it helps in the future :)

P.P.S. The game experience is awesome :D Thanks to Assassin's Creed and now Far Cry 2, Ubisoft Montreal is my new favorite studio.

Edited by Romier S

Unfortunately it seems screwy :( It seems to mess up lighting on certain objects. Like, I was in dark house, looking through the door at the bright outdoors. The HDR/bloom had the door frame looking pretty dim. Flip this tool on and suddenly the door frame and the whole rest of the house are brightened up funny, as if lighting got disabled on it. Same with some big rocks outside.

EDIT: Woah, yeah... slight changes to the X FOV seem to completely mess up lighting in different ways depending on how far you go in either direction. Very strange.

Edited by Covak

Dang, he fixed that lighting problem already :)

http://tocaedit.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=121

There's a small problem with water reflections, though (it doesn't seem to use the new FOV for the reflections, so the extra water you can see is just smeared). I might just live with that, though, because I really like a wider FOV... but then, I favor water travel, so I'll see.

NVIDIA also replaced the beta drivers aimed at this game (.42 to .43), but the only known change is something to do with DX10 detection issues or something.

I wonder if the performance bump in DX10 is nice enough on the old 8800 GT to warrant a Vista dual boot...

Picked this up yesterday and got it installed a few minutes ago. I haven't actually played it yet as I've been messing around with the benchmark utility.

I'm currently running the Nvidia beta drivers and no overclocking...

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1920x1200 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(4x), VSync(Yes), Overall Quality(Custom), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Very High), Geometry(Very High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Very High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)

Average Framerate: 34.00

Max. Framerate: 51.26

Min. Framerate: 26.31

Hoping to get a chance later to actually play it and I will more than likely be using my 360 controller over mouse and keyboard at first.

Good framerates for right-out-of-the-box :) What vid card and CPU is this on?

As Romier mentioned it's a Q6600 and a 9800GTX at stock speeds, the rest of my config can be seen here. Besides my specs I also setup a profile for games that shuts off all the unneeded services and that alone has got me close to 7 to 10fps in a majority of my games.

It's been said previously in this thread, but Far Cry 2 is the first game that I can tell a noticeable difference in graphics going from DX9 to DX10.