LCVG

PS3 to PC help

Scott Van Dyke

My set up is as follows:

My PC is running Vista with Media Player 11. I have a CAT5 cable hooked up to a wired modem from AT&T, and the modem hooked up to the phone jack for internet access. I have my PS3 connected to the internet by simply running 100ft of CAT5 from the back of the PS3 to the modem. (By simply unplugging the computer from the modem, and plugging in the CAT5 from the PS3, everything works great for connecting the PS3 to the internet.

I do not plan to do the smart thing, and buy a $30 wireless router.

My question is, what is the best way to stream media from my PC to my PS3? Do I connect the CAT5 cable from my PS3 into the back of my tower? Do I need to get some type of CAT5 hub? I would imagine there needs to be some type of cable that runs between the PS3 and the computer, correct?

I think I know how to set things up afterward, but it's the connection question that none of these other threads on the web seem to address for a newb to such things as myself.

After I've connected things, and my PS3 can see all my MP3's, and other media files, can I then watch .avi files on my TV? What else can I stream?

Thanks!

Do I need to get some type of CAT5 hub?

That is one of the functions of a router. You connect a CAT5 cable from the modem to the router and two more CAT5 cables for the PS3 and PC to the router. Both will have access to the internet and each other. If your PS3 model has wifi you can connect to a wireless router that way as well.

If your PC has two LAN ports you could use internet connection sharing and plug your PS3 into the PC but your PC would have to be turned on to go online with your PS3.

What else can I stream?

* Disc Formats

o DVD Video with either region [1] or [ALL] 1

o DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW1, 3

o Blu-ray Discs™ (BD) containing video content with region code [A]5, 7, 8, 10

o BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10

* MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)

* MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3 (Dolby Digital), LPCM)

* MPEG-2 TS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2) AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)

* Memory Stick™ Video Formats

o MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)

o H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (AAC LC)

* AVI

o Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)

o Motion JPEG (u-Law)

* MP4 File Format

o H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)

* DivX and VC-1 (WMV)6

Requires PLAYSTATION 3 system software version 2.10 or higher.

Things to note about movie/video formats and playback :

* Depending on the data type, some files may not be playable or some control panel options may not function during playback.

* Some video files distributed over the Internet have playback restrictions. For details, contact the content provider.

* When using a USB adaptor to play video files, you may need to use a USB adaptor (not included) that supports copyright-protection features (to play copyright-protected files). When using a USB adaptor to play AVCHD-format video files saved on Memory Stick media, use a device that supports Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0).

* If your video files are copy protected, they may not play on the PLAYSTATION 3 system.

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=361

Edited by MrJames