LCVG

AT&T Testing bandwidth caps as well

exile

AT&T posted more specific caps on their site...

AT&T Basic (DSL only) Up-to 768 Kbps 20 GB per month

AT&T Express Up-to 1.5 Mbps 40 GB per month

AT&T Pro Up-to 3.0 Mbps 60 GB per month

AT&T Elite Up-to 6.0 Mbps 80 GB per month

AT&T Max (U-verse only) Up-to 10.0 Mbps 150 GB per month

AT&T posted more specific caps on their site...

20-40GB for the cheaper services? Are you kidding me? I'd be canceling so fast it would make their head spin. Even I go through 20GB soooo easily a month I would bet, between working from home via VPN, XBL, windows updates, and your average downloading.

I sure hope Charter doesn't do this. Because they are my only provider - my other choice is putting up a 50 foot steel antenna tower to clear the trees and getting SpeedNet wireless antenna on top of it.

Edited by GreenMonkey

• 2 months later...

Bah!!!

Time Warner Cable is rolling out bandwidth caps and overage charges to more cities.

The cable company has been testing 'consumption-based' billing in Beaumont, Texas. And they will expand the program to more cities this year, COO Landel Hobbs said on this morning's Q4 earnings call.

Assholes....

Time Warner announced in their Q4 call that they are expanding metered billing trial from Beaumont to four more markets but did not say where.

New Charter Cable caps and tiers.

15Mbps or less 100GB per month

15-25Mbps 250GB per month

60Mbps no caps for $140 per month

• 2 weeks later...

This is ridiculous. Instead of widening pipes ISPs are saying, no we want more money and don't want to build out our infrastructure for increasing demand. They are all doing it together, as one like some kind of conspiracy theory. The problem with putting in caps, is that once they are in place, you know they aren't going to increase them... ever. We are still fighting for minutes on cell phones for crying out loud. So this means that 5 years from now when apps come out that require even more bandwidth, the bandwidth won't exist, therefore limiting forward progress. If there ever was one sure fire way of making sure China wins, its by hurting our communication hub, our internet.

I did some digging on my ISP(Cox cable). They claim that they are throttling upstream only as DOCSIS 3.0 will make downstream speed caps a non issue therefore no need to throttle like TW, AT&T and now Charter. DOCSIS 3 if you don't know is capable of ridiculous amounts of speed. I know they mentioned that residental would see at least 50mbps at current pricing structures when it's fully on the market.

• 2 years later...

Bandwidth Cap goes into effect on 5/2. I'm pretty sure I will be affected by this, as I have 2 teenagers and an 8-year old, plus myself all vying for downloads on AT&T. Worse still, they don't even have any tools with which to see previous months' data usage. FAQ here: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409045#fbid=3CRK0p2AgFr

Sucks donkey rocks!

I just called to voice my displeasure. You should too!

Carlos.