LCVG

DHL Shutting Down US Domestic Shipping Operations

Lutter

http://www.dhl-usa.com/restructuring/index.asp

My company has a big contract through them for all payroll, paper communications, etc... etc... I've actually got to be friends with our DHL delivery man (who has been on the job 12 years and has a wife and 2 kids and I see at least twice every day) and I felt really bad for him today.

International shipping is unaffected however.

But 80% of their employees (~9500 people) are not going to be having a very gnarly Christmas.

International shipping is unaffected however.

Their international shipping between US/Europe is a total joke. They lost customs bonds for two separate large, time-sensitive shipments a month apart going into the UK for me (had to harass them non-stop for a week in each instance, before they "found" them...and the only way to clear the shipments through customs without the bond was to pay the $20k+ import fee). Then they processed them wrong coming back into the US so my coworker had to drive to another state to sign off on customs.

So glad my next project over there already has the equipment located in Europe...

I work in the Traffic department at our company, which basically means I export our products overseas after they are done being built. All I will say is that the only time we ever ship anything DHL is when our customer requests it and gives us a collect account number. If someone asks us to ship an order with DHL and pay for it, I have to get approval from my manager before doing it, and even then she'll investigate why the request is made and try to change the carrier to a preferred one.

If we can avoid using DHL, we will. That's a testament to how much everyone in our department loves this company and its services.

Their international shipping between US/Europe is a total joke. They lost customs bonds for two separate large, time-sensitive shipments a month apart going into the UK for me (had to harass them non-stop for a week in each instance, before they "found" them...and the only way to clear the shipments through customs without the bond was to pay the $20k+ import fee). Then they processed them wrong coming back into the US so my coworker had to drive to another state to sign off on customs.

Oh the stories Romier and I could tell about trying to get DHL to ship my Wii to the UK....

Wow, a lot must have changed in 20 years. I got my start with BigOil in the mailroom, and back then, if you wanted anything shipped internationally, you had damned well ship it DHL or it wasn't gonna get there.

Of course, back then, Airborne Express was our choice for domestic shipping. I think DHL ate them at some point.

Carlos.

Here's my shipping experiences in order, best to worst,...

UPS Express & Ground (always on time and often early :tu)

FedEx Express (On time, neither early or late)

USPS (Slow as molasses, but it arrives)

FedEx Ground (Losses packages often, and at times doesn't even show to pick them up.)

DHL ( See USPS, See FedEx ground, and then add that the only truck I've seen in Rhode Island is often parked with the driver sleeping. ) :td

DHL bought Airborn in an attempt to be a player in the USA shipping wars between Fedex and UPS. Ultimately Brown won out ;)

I will say I used DHL quite a bit at work. They weren't better or worse for US shipments but I can say they were a big improvement when we shipped internationally.

In my experience (I get several packages a week), they all suck, have lost packages, have smashed things, have been late, etc. On average, I'd say they all get things places with an average number of problems that nets out.

More than anything I feel bad for the 9500 people losing their jobs.

What REALLY sucks is that DHL comes in and buys Airborne Express a handful of years ago. With that comes people whom have had 20+ years with that company (AirEx) and now DHL rebrands AirEx and adds all this infrastructure (trucks, stations, etc.) and then pulls the plug.

Airborne was never really much of a rival for FedEx or UPS, but they knew they were the small fish in the pool. They weren't trying to become the largest shipping company in the world. DHL on the other hand thought they would use this as an opportunity to overtake FedEx and UPS in the global and US market for shipping.

Fast forward a few years and DHL is going under on the domestic side. I would imagine had AirEx remained the way it was, this wouldn't have happened. DHL just comes over and fucks all those peoples lives up. Not cool.