LCVG

Gaming Health and Safety

OzzelsCousinFred

Don't toy around with ergonomics. I had my wrists start aching the night before on the computer but I wrote it off as nothing.

The next day, brought on by a Devil May Cry button mashfest, my wrists started hurting and my hands swelled up. I had no health insurance, but I went in and the doctor thought I had a mild case of tendonitis and I had to take some mega doses of ibuprofen and miss a few days of work before they unswelled. :(

I actually did no gaming at all for months, and minimal computer use. It was about 3 months IIRC before they felt good enough to go back to any real gaming.

In the end I think it was being lazy about ergonomics at work, chronic dehydration (I used to never drink water) and too much PC/gaming/etc time in general. Now I make sure to get a lot more water, take a multivitamin once in a while, and keep up eating foods with potassium and other joint-friendly vitamins.

My hands still tend to swell up a little if I have to much caffeine and not enough water and my wrists are still a little achy from time to time.

I've become very cautious about having very good ergonomics at the computer and taking it easy with the gaming. Take the ergonomic break, seriously. Grab a snack or a glass of water or say hi to the wife or something.

Only thing I have a problem with is playing GH/RB with the scrolling text. Gives me a headache after playing a bit. Which is why I only play a few songs at a time

Oh man, that reminds me, Joey. That game does something weird to me as well. After playing, when I look away, it feels like the entire world is scrolling up -- sort of a veritcal dizziness (as opposed to what is normally horizontal spinning).

It's trippy. No headache, though.

Count me in for Wii-itis. I've given myself some nasty cases of tennis elbow playing "Boom Blox" especially.

My wrists sometimes hurt if I play "Guitar Hero" or "Rock Band" too much, and I've had pain in my digits and joints occasionally after marathom gaming sessions. But generally, the typical gamepad -- especially the PS gamepad -- doesn't cause me much trouble. I'm rarely at it more than an hour or two at a time.

Oh man, that reminds me, Joey. That game does something weird to me as well. After playing, when I look away, it feels like the entire world is scrolling up -- sort of a veritcal dizziness (as opposed to what is normally horizontal spinning).

It's trippy. No headache, though.

I get this, too. Also after spending 5-10 minutes watching a movie's credits scroll up. No ill effects, just a weird optical illusion.