LCVG

Xbox Live Community Games

Carlucci

Let's discuss our findings of any gems in the Community games, if any.

I have tried 2 so far:

Fuel Depot 360 -- nothing wrong with it, just not much fun to play. I got bored and let myself die.

Lines -- has promise as a puzzler, but the grid is too wide and not tall enough, IMO.

Which have you tried?

Carlos.

I tried Weapon of Choice, which was kinda like Contra...on acid. I read it's programmed by the guy who used to be the weapons programmer at Insomniac. Seemed pretty fun from what I could tell in the brief trial period.

I came across an article the other day that previewed a bunch of the games, let's see if I can find it...

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2008/11/gamerbytes_top_5_games_launch.php

Decided to start trying some of these games out.

The first one that caught my eye is Easy Golf. It's a generic golf game that works well. However the catch is you can design your own courses and share them online with friends (according to the description), and play 4 player online as well. Played the demo multiple times (there is a timer on these trials), and enjoyed it. Think this may be the first one I purchase this weekend.

I'l going to try and go through a good number of these this weekend between playing the retail games In my pile. I think Community games is a great idea, and has been a little lost in the shuffle with the NXE launch

How can you possibly have time? I'm still digging out from under GOW2, Fable 2, Socom, LBP, COD5, Left For Dead, Mirror's Edge, and Socom.

Plus, it doesn't help that every time I turn on my 360 I end up tempted to watch a movie or TV show.

More power to ye, though.

Hehe, I just didn't buy half those titles yet Josh. Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, and that's it until Xmas (or b-day gifts.) I am the type of person that 3 unplayed games on the shelf drives me crazy, but if they aren't in the house I'm ok.

I want to try the Colloseum game in the community sometime. I think I would personally pay some developer to produce a good hex based, dice centric, strategy game in the vein of Battletech for release on Community. Where's the stat-heavy geek love these days?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anthony I agree, love Word Soup. Easy Golf also is getting an update to DL other courses your friends designed, and a ton of other features/fix's . I guess if you buy the full version of an XNA game the creators get your gamer tag, as I got a nice message from the creator of the game about the new updates, and a invite to play against him sometime.

Also it happened already on PC, Mac, and Iphone. Now via XNA we have Virtual Fireplace

OOO just saw the first Adventure Game has been put up as well Writers Block. Was hoping XNA would bring many of these to the console. Can't wait to try it out

Edited by CaptDS9E

So I saw someone on my friends list playing something called "Fireplace". Intruiged I download the trial and had to laugh out loud when I saw its a youl log complete with horrible grfx and laughable sound. Everytime the fire cracks n' pops I kept picturing a guy throwing those little white sacks that explode (them tiny lil things we used to throw on the sidewalk as kids). It sounded like those or someone popping some bubble wrap. At any rate it was far from nice and relaxing which I assume was the intent of the demo. All it needed was an appearance by Nelson from the Simpsons. He would look at you through the tv and do his "Ha haa" laugh while pointing at you mocking you for staring at this fake fireplace.

So I saw someone on my friends list playing something called "Fireplace". Intruiged I download the trial and had to laugh out loud when I saw its a youl log complete with horrible grfx and laughable sound. Everytime the fire cracks n' pops I kept picturing a guy throwing those little white sacks that explode (them tiny lil things we used to throw on the sidewalk as kids). It sounded like those or someone popping some bubble wrap. At any rate it was far from nice and relaxing which I assume was the intent of the demo. All it needed was an appearance by Nelson from the Simpsons. He would look at you through the tv and do his "Ha haa" laugh while pointing at you mocking you for staring at this fake fireplace.

Yeah, Major Nelson made the mistake of listing it on his site with the creators gamertag and all. It proceeded into a comment slammathon. Especially with the person listing it at 400 points while many other community creations are going for 200.

So I saw someone on my friends list playing something called "Fireplace". Intruiged I download the trial and had to laugh out loud when I saw its a youl log complete with horrible grfx and laughable sound.

That may have been me you saw with the Fireplace demo. ??

We don't currently have a fire place, but it is on our wish list, so I downloaded the demo and put it up on the screen as a joke to my wife. She got a good laugh out of it. Of course she was confused as hell why there was a download for a fake fireplace on a video game console. :lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
There are a couple of Arkanoid type games available for 200 points each. They both play well. One is ArkX, which is the one I prefer, and the other is bricks4ever. If your into Arkanoid style games I would suggest trying the demos.

Will do and thanks for the info.

We are supposed to be getting Arkanoid Live sometime this year as an XBLA game too.

Carlos.

• 3 weeks later...

It's interesting to see some of the patterns developing with the community games. For example, going back to old school gaming. There is around 4 or 5 variants of Pong. A few variations of Tetris, Breakout and most recent a game called Tanks. V.S. which is clearly inspired by Atari's Combat. Then you have games inspired by current XBLA games like Poker Smash and Roogoo. Both trends are good ideas. If you can offer a less expensive version of a current XBLA title with enough change to not infringe on copyright, why not. And who wouldn't like to try some new version of a classic like Atari's Adventure for a couple of hundred marketplace points.