LCVG

Beyond Good and Evil

Josh

Yep, this game came out of nowhere and it intrigues the hell out of me but since I have no job and am already considering sliding into great debt for Mario Kart i'll probably have to wait. Which is a shame though, it does indeed look absolutely fabulous and sounds quite a bit of fun.

The revelation that there might actually be a really good serious story to this one is icing on the cake. We don't see anything adult that isn't boob shots tried often enough for my liking :).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm resurrecting this thread because I figured those of you who played the game and fell in love with the music as I did, would greatly appreciate hearing this. (Right Click to Save.)

It's a remix that incorporates two themes from the game, the main theme and the "Home" theme. Hearing something as wonderful as this makes me want to pull this one off the shelf and play through it again.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally started playing/finished BGE in the last week or two and enjoyed it.

For the first few hours I thought it was good but after a while and a few of the plot turns and I was hooked.

Don't know if I would list it as one of my top games ever but it certainly is very, very good and there are no strikes against it (well a minor quibble with some of the language - I don't know what they were thinking with some of the battle phrases used by Pey'j).

It was a good length also. Not too short, not long enough to be tedious. Some stuff you could go through again to try to 100% it (perls/photos).

(spoiler discussion below)

I don't know what the point of having the controlled flight to the moon and the asteroids - its a little pointless unless you can do some further exploring (which I didn't bother doing).

The ending was pretty good with the standard "Or is it?????" type thing after the credits. I'm glad they didn't leave any huge plot lines dangling since it is unlikely we will see a BGE2.

I'm glad they had an abundance of ways to get perls so you weren't forced to get them a certain way.

Cool, Chris. I'm glad you liked the game. I was also one of those who thought it was only okay during the first couple of hours. The further I got into it though, the more it sucked me in.

It's too bad we'll probably never see a sequel though. I would love to take another journey to the beautiful world of Hyllis.

Anyone know what the BG&E team is working on?

Apparently Beyond Good and Evil parts 2 and 3 if this is to believed:

http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=6795

Despite unexpectedly low sales Ubisoft do not plan on letting Beyond Good and Evil fade away and have announced there will be another two games.

In a recent interview Ubisoft confirmed that there will be another two Beyond Good & Evil games, making the series into a trilogy.

I take these kinds of reports with a grain of salt but its fantastic news if true.

Despite unexpectedly low sales Ubisoft do not plan on letting Beyond Good and Evil fade away and have announced there will be another two games.

How can this be? Do they expect a turnaround in sales? I mean, good game or not, if the sales aren't there, how can Ubisoft justify spending all that time and money creating two more?

How can this be? Do they expect a turnaround in sales? I mean, good game or not, if the sales aren't there, how can Ubisoft justify spending all that time and money creating two more?

Though the game did not sell well it has gotten phenominal word of mouth from gamers and critics alike. Beyond Good and Evil was IMHO a victim of its release date more than anything. One of the many games that got lost in the shuffle during the holiday season which saw the retail launch of bigger and more "hyped" releases. Why give up on the series so quickly? If they learn from thier mistake and release the first sequel at an opportune time I think the game has a real chance of being a seller for Ubi.

If they want to make a sequel, I'm certainly not going to complain. I'll believe it when I hear it out of Ubisoft's mouth though and not some third-rate video game site. They say, "In a recent interview Ubisoft confirmed that there will be another two Beyond Good & Evil gamesl." Tell me, in which interview did they confirm that parts 2 and 3 were in the works? Oh! They failed to mention that in their article! Too bad!

Sorry to sound so sarcastic, but I don't want to get my hopes up on this and then be disappointed when Ubisoft comes out and denies the report.

Jeff,

Its this interview:

http://www.oteragame.fr/dossier.php?dossier_id=15

Its from a french site and the subject of thier interview is Michel Ancel, who is of course one of the the creators of Rayman and BG&E.

The link to the interview is listed at the bottom of said "third rate sites" article as being thier source. ;) Looks like a sequel is indeed likely....

EDIT: After actually reading a translation of the text of the interview it would appear as though the statement was taken out of context and misreported (as usual in videogame journalism). Here is the translation:

Why is the ending so abrupt?

MA: I'm rather satisfied with the ending. We wanted the ending to surprise: The ending shows existantial fears like emptiness and death. BGE is the first episode of a trilogy. I didn't want a concrete ending, but rather an abstract ending.

D'oh! I have to stop reading things so quickly... :oops:

EDIT: I'm still not believing it until I hear them say, "We are working on the sequel to Beyond Good & Evil." For as you said, Romier, the quote is sort of taken out of context.