LCVG

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (PS2)

Anthony G

Received an A+ on 1UP

$35 on Amazon and it includes:

Pre-order Bonus: "Persona 4" Extras

The "Persona 4" two-disc set includes the game and its Shoji Meguro composed soundtrack. Pre-order while supplies last and get a deluxe, limited-edition art book featuring acclaimed "Persona 4" artist Shigenori Soejima. The extras will come packaged inside the box with your game. Must be sold and shipped by Amazon.com to be eligible.

p4_4pc_glamshot2_650.jpg&token=957BBB0669152D76BE1C614537975585163C1748&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=hero-quick-promo&pf_rd_r=1ENX8XKYR2EE27XDFYZ4&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=439162301&pf_rd_i=B001C6GVI6

I can't wait for this to come out next week. I've already had it pre-ordered for a looong time. From what I've read and the reviews going around it improves on the already stellar Persona 3, so I'm sold. This is one of the best JRPGs right now, and definitely my personal favorite.

I haven't even started Persona 3 FES :( This is going to have to wait until I make a dent in my backlog, especially since Atlus seem to be much better at keep games available these days since they partnered with Amazon.

On the Amazon page it mentions Persona 4 has 60 hours of game play. Talk about a lot of bang for your buck. Is Persona 3 as long? If you wait you will miss out on all the extras.

I'm very, very about the extras so that's why I have it NOW even though I may not play it for a while.

The art book with the first game was great. It wasn't just sketches, there was a lot of how and why with regards to character design and clothing choices. As noted in the Mirror's Edge thread, that's the kind of details that I just love. The design process fascinates me, so it was a real treat.

Soundtrack ain't bad either ;).

As to the question of length, the original Persona 3 took me 64 hours and change to finish off when it was all said and done. I have FES but haven't had a chance to touch it, it does have expanded content in the regular game plus an entire side story game that's supposedly WAY more difficult which reportedly clocks in at around 30 hours on its own.

I'd love to play through FES (and since I get all my completed social links from P3 carried over it wouldn't be as rough), but time constraints are a bitch and I know some of the story beat changes and I'm not sure if I want to see them played out or not. P3 hit a lot of awesome character notes for me and ended JUST RIGHT. I want to see more in that universe, but not at the expense of what I loved beforehand.

Luckily 4 will come out and put that question on the burner for a while. The premise of this one is interesting and starting out with a couple of mysterious deaths to get to the bottom of is always a great way to pique my interest ;).

• 4 weeks later...

Started into this after I wrapped Prince of Persia. I'm not gonna lie, waiting to start this was very hard and then I was a little meh about sinking time into a JRPG right now.

Glad I didn't wait, this game is fantastic. If you liked P3, you will love P4, I'm betting. The systems that were begun there are polished and shiny and the new characters are so far a lot of fun. Better yet, the story is even better. It still has its hokey humor (for better or worse, but I love it :P), but the overarching plot is a murdery mystery the characters set out to solve and I'm a total sucker when it comes to mysteries.

The dungeons are much improved because there's actual variety to them now. You clear various locales based on, well, I won't say exactly what, but they are cleared and no longer available. The rationale for our characters having to butt in on a police investigation makes sense in the context of the universe, it's just well, well done.

For my money this is THE premiere JRPG series right now. Final Fantasy tends to be all shiny with nothing under the hood - the Persona series is totally the opposite. PS2 graphics, anime cutscenes, but the engine's solid, the combat's challenging (you can die in JRPGs now? I'd forgotten!) even on normal, and there's always more to do than you want. You have to play through the story but no two people are likely to approach it in quite the same way. It's the perfect blend of the storytelling of the JRPG with the more Western sensibility of having freedom up the wazoo. You're following the story on a particular course with time restraints, but you have a lot of freedom to move from point A to point B in your own style.

Much, much love on my part for this one.

• 1 month later...

Finished the game today, clocked in at 61 hours, just a little shy of Persona 3, but there was a lot left in side missions I could have cleared up if I wanted. My initial impressions did not change, though the dungeons do remain available, whoops.

Otherwise an insanely entertaining JRPG, and challenging as hell - I barely scraped out the final boss fight after throwing everything in my inventory at the boss. Rewarded with a great ending, really well done and I have to say I'm sad to leave behind the rich world and characters here.

Well, I can only hope the next installment stays the course though it's going to be incredibly hard to top the story and characters here.

• 5 years later...
  • 11 months later...

To put it a different way, if you like 3, playing another in the series won't be like Tales, where I feel we both enjoyed Vesperia a lot and then were pretty okay and less about later series entries we sampled. :P

Indeed! So much potential in the Tales games, so much disappointment with each one & they're no longer an automatic must buy. Through the wonders of modern technology, P4 is bought & ready to download next time my PS3 fires up. Definitely digging 3.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's another Mark + Brian JRPG thread! 

I'd refunded a game on Steam so I had some wallet credit burning a hole. I could have played it on PS3 like the original plan 5 years ago... So PC it is. :)

It's odd experiencing these models + textures at high res downsampled to 1080p. The models are too clean, especially Igor. I'm still getting the gang all together, but the day/night cycle has begun in earnest, and I'm digging the setup of this one so far. "the same but different" as always. So many systems in play, so many things to consider... So Persona ;)

This one is probably the strangely horniest of the three Personas that we consider modern Persona, but I really love it.

The mystery element is an excellent conceit to drag the players in and the cast is pretty good (Chie and Yukiko are particularly stellar).