LCVG

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (X360, PS3)

Romier S

So long as they avoid taking inspiration from the last Wolverine game.

I'll take the pessimistic view: Here come the crappy movie games. Movie games have that extra baggage of a very specific deadline and story/gameplay limitations. Iron Man got things started and now that market penetration of the 360 is high enough we ought to see a bunch of shovelware over the remainder of this generation. Luckily, they are easy enough to avoid.

What's left?

I'll take the fence. Could be great or could be shitty, I can't decide. I can't commit an opinion right now.

Speaking of fence sitting,... anyone see The Office last night?

Michael couldn't decide whether to spend the budget surplus on a new copier or new chairs for the office. Funny friggen episode! :lol

Here's hoping Wolverine turns out great! :tu

• 4 months later...

7.8 on IGN....

Would this be another botched gaming opportunity for one of comic books' greatest heroes?

The answer is a definitive "no," accented by an adamantium claw to the face. X-Men Origins: Wolverine -- Uncaged Edition is some of the most violent fun I've had in a long, long time. It's far from perfect, but it's going to be a bloody blast for Wolvie fans.

This is one of the most graphically violent games around.

In this game, you're going to behead bad guys, tear people in half with your claws, hack off arms at the shoulders, gut soldiers and shove a man's head into the moving blades of a helicopter. For fans who have scoffed at the number of slices it has taken to drop a bad guy in previous Wolverine games, this is the holy grail. What makes all of these moves impressive is the fact that you can do them pretty much at any time. Sure, there are Rage moves such as a claw spin and temporary damage boost, but you could go the whole game, not use those garnishes and still get the same amount of blood and destruction.

Video Review

x-men-origins-wolverine-uncaged-edition-20090430083335261.jpg

The demo sold me. And I'm pretty happy with the game after about 2-3 hours. Sure, it'll be repetitive, but I've had a blast. Clearly a little brother to God of War, but within its own little mythology :) Worth it for the second chapter alone (after you get the metal). As a big fan of Barry Windsor Smith "Weapon X", playing it is a blast.

An aggressive game, it plays pretty smoothly...very violent, and quite good looking as well. Like Spidey 2 nailed the web-swinging, Hulk: UD nailed the rampaging and leaping, Wolverine nails the ferocity and viciousness. I'm happy with the purchase.

The demo sold me.

Same here. Gonna try and pick it up this weekend sometime.

I dunno what's worse, that my 12-year-old stepson thought it was "awesome" when Wolverine yanked that guy out of the helicopter and gave him a "haircut", or that I agreed with him. :lol

Rented the PS3 version tonight. Just finished up escaping the Weapon X lab. Damn this game is downright fun. I have never smiled so much as so much violence. :)

The combos are easy to pull off and I am addicted to the quick kills. I also love grabbing the Ghosts and then hammering the triangle button to turn their shotguns on them to shoot them in their head. :)

-Dean-

It really is built like God of War, much moreso than NG or DMC. And that is a smart pedigree to use, bewcause it fits the character quite well.

It looks quite good, and it plays very smoothly. It is completely over the top violent, and boy is it fun. It isn't terribly hard (on Normal). I don't mind the occasional platforming, but the game is about slaughter, pure and simple. Lots of moves, lots of different ways to kill.

Tried the demo yesterday, it was great! I enjoyed using the feral sense to find objects with which to impale enemies. Also, targeting enemies and leaping across the map attacking them simply can't get old. :D

I know it's apples and oranges, but is this one of the rare cases where a video game is actually better than the movie? I haven't seen Wolverine yet, but the press has been harsh.

Edited by JTello

Tried the demo yesterday, it was great! I enjoyed using the feral sense to find objects with which to impale enemies. Also, targeting enemies and leaping across the map attacking them simply can't get old. :D

I know it apples and oranges, but is this one of the rare cases where a video game is actually better than the movie? I haven't seen Wolverine yet, but the press has harsh.

I hope you like the lunge attack, since the IGN review says it's something you regularily have to do.

I thought the movie was ok (nothing special, nothing craptacular). Afterwards, we went to a buddy's house to try out the game. The previews looked great (and maybe it was the level we were playing), but the game was far more repetitive than I thought it would be after only 5 mins of watching.

I picked this up yesterday after thoroughly enjoying the demo. I'm really enjoying it so far. I usually don't go for the movie tie ins but this is just so enjoyable. People complain about the repetition..but I've been killing these guys so many different ways I really haven't found it to repetitive yet..either way every game is usually repetitive in some way. Tons of fun!

I've spent $60 on AAA titles several times that weren't nearly as fun as this game. I was impressed with how polished it was, considering it had to meet a street date and that usually spells disaster. The opening and closing movies (again, similar to the high end God of War cutscenes) were quite good. I did finish the game on Normal, unlocked the costumes (which I don't care for), and messed around to work on maxing out my "skillz" and my "killz".

I brought baggage, but the game was worth what I spent (after trade-ins). At $30, it'll be a steal.

Edited by dienekes96

Bought the game and Love it so far - Just through the Weapon X Lab. The demo was a good indication of the full game: It can be repetitive but, the moves you have to repeat so often are also still fun after the 100th time so its hard to complain :) As others have said, this is pretty much GoW with Wolverine which is exactly as good as that sounds IMO Heheh. No problem with the graphics or sound but I have had some slowdown occasionally when lots of baddies all on screen and all sliced at the same time but, it was forgiveable.

Having said that, I would probably still agree with most here that its not a $60 game. Look for it on sale or save your gift certs for it as I did. In my case too, the game came with a Wolverine comic art book that is actually really nice - something I would likely buy on its own (really) so I have no complaints :)