LCVG

"A Christmas Story" Appreciation Thread.

Carlucci

I just got the Special Blu-ray edition of this movie, complete with the string of mini-Leg Lamp lights.

It's having the exact effect I had hoped for -- a hysterical war with my wife over the gawdiness factor. I'll plug in the lights, then return to have them moved toward the back of the tree. She'll plug in all the lights on the tree except for my leg lamp lights. It's getting pretty hilarious as we both play our roles, me because it mirrors the movie, she because those things really piss her off and ruin her elegant tree.

There is no better holiday movie for us. With my boys getting older, and really getting all the subtle jokes and innuendo in the movie for the first time, it's become even more of a classic for my family.

EW ran a where are they now blurb in this week's edition.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20246375,00.html

I was surprised to hear that Ralphie was in Iron Man. And even way more surprised that they initially want Jack Nicholson to play The Old Man.

My favorite scene is when Ralphie picks one of his friends names out of thin-air to avoid having to name his father as the source for having used the F-dash-dash-dash word. The mom goes to the phone, and call's the lad's mom. Listen closely, and when the mom says "Do you know where he heard that word?", you'll hear the lady on the other end of the line say "Probably from his father." Then when the mom says no, he heard it from your son, and the mom starts whapping her kid, who can be heard screaming "What did I do, Mom? What did I do?" That kills me every time.

Hope you enjoy the movie as much as me. If you're some kind of freak who hasn't seen it, obtain a copy immediately or check it out during TBS's marathon.

Carlos.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop. I?m already regretting not fitting in a purchase of this one into my disc budget this winter? which is silly of me really as they NEVER show A Christmas Story on television in the UK.

Too American maybe? For our annual Christmas party we play Christmas Vacation and Christmas Story and people really seem to enjoy watching them.

Too American maybe?

It’s possible. It sounds like the sort of ignorant and senseless justification that a television network might dream up anyway, though none of the channels here are showing Muppet Christmas Carol this year either and it doesn't get more English than Dickens (and Michael Caine, obviously). Perhaps networks here dislike the fact A Christmas Story involves a gun. I don't know.... Frankly, like any good story, it’s got plenty I think kids and adults from all over the world can identify with in my opinion.

I’m sure it airs on one of the satellite networks over here, but I don’t ever recall it being shown on any of our terrestrial/digital terrestrial channels over the years (and I don’t watch/like television enough to pay for satellite TV subscription).

Really annoyed I did not order this. Only place I can go to that can get the set to me before Christmas wants ?30 for it… I’ll sleep on it. My Christmas viewing will be slim as a copy of Nightmare Before Christmas that shipped a month ago has still now shown up and with no Muppets, It's a Wonderful Life or Scrooged on Blu-ray (another festive favourite) I'll only have Christmas Vacaction to satisfy my Christmas high def desires.

Edited by Doctor Hoo

I never cared for the "classic" Christmas movies. Never saw Christmas Story, Wonderful Life or the original Christmas Carol. Too many people that are too happy

Chipmunks Christmas is probably the only "classic" I'd rewatch during the holidays.

Die Hard, I'll try to get through both movies during the holidays

Home Alone and Scrooged I'll watch on tv if I can find it.

My boys aren't ready for Bad Santa. Hell, *I* was barely ready for Bad Santa. But it is pretty dang funny, and ultimately, touching.

Another observation on "A Christmas Story". When the Dad is reading the word on the top of the crate as "Frah-jil-ay", we are meant to assume he was just a dummy and misreading the word Fragile in all his excitement.

But if you look closely, you'll see that the F is missing from the top word that he is reading from, having been clipped due to poor stencil placement, so maybe he is reading "RAGILE" as "Rah-jil-ay". In other words, maybe it wasn't meant to show him as a dumbass in that he forgot what "Fragile" was, but instead he was dumb for not being astute enough to realize the "F" was missing in Fragile. Either way, it's funny. I need to turn on captions to see what they have him as saying.

And another thing. My kids and I have been unable to discern if there was some sort of special effect involved when the kid sticks his tongue to the flagpole. Has anyone seen it confirmed that he really did it for real for the filming? It sure looks like it, especially when he gags a little bit, which always grosses me out.

Carlos.

And another thing. My kids and I have been unable to discern if there was some sort of special effect involved when the kid sticks his tongue to the flagpole. Has anyone seen it confirmed that he really did it for real for the filming? It sure looks like it, especially when he gags a little bit, which always grosses me out.

I've seen a making of about that sequence, there's a hole where the tongue is, and a vacuum on the bottom of the pipe to make a suction effect.

Wow, that's awesome. Is that in one of the features on the Blu-ray?

The anniversary DVD set has a second disc with a bunch of features, I suspect that's where I saw it. I presume the BD has all the features of the anniversary set seeing as it was re-released at the same time.

We were going to buy the BD gift set with the lights but my wife wanted the apron + cookbook instead, so that's what she got. I think that made it our third DVD purchase of this film, and still no BD.

I love A Christmas Story, it's easily one of my favorite movies. I own the DVD, and it gets a few views though out the year, and come holidays season we catch the movie on and off all day on TBS.

On the Ralphie / Iron Man connection,... I didn't notice him in the movie, but he stuck out in the Blu-ray extras. I thought it was funny that the director of Elf and Ralphie (a producer) worked together to make such great super hero movie. :)

I've seen a making of about that sequence, there's a hole where the tongue is, and a vacuum on the bottom of the pipe to make a suction effect.

Wow, that's awesome. Is that in one of the features on the Blu-ray?

I listened to the commentary track on the DVD and I think they mentioned it there as well. It was a pretty cool way to get that moment on film.