LCVG

Prince of Persia Review

Chris F

So my Gamestop is either full of inept workers, or I'm going to be pissed later today. I just called to see if PoP came in yet, and the guy was like, "We don't have a release date for it."

According to the website, it's available. According to the SAME Gamestop, it's supposed to be available today.

:evil:

My quickie review:

PoP rocks. While showing it off to my friends, they all commented on how hard the controls looked. After playing through one room, they became pros at the controls. The control and fighting engine are so damn easy to pick up, and about as perfecta s you can get in a 3d game of this nature.

Graphics and sound are good as well. The Xbox version looks incredible. The animation is truly amazing, the architecture of the levels are amazing as well. You really feel accomplished when you seem to be stuck at an impasse, only to realize a pillar or bar you overlooked, which lets you continue on.

The voice acting is very well done. The games narrator is the Prince, and he tells the story as if he was relaying the story to you. Going over the events, laying out the story, it's almost like he's reading a book to you that you're actually playing.

As far as extras go, I hear that the Xbox version gets the best of the bunch. Included are:

Prince of Persia (PC version)

Prince of Persia 2

Price of Persia Remake of Level 1 - Level 1 of the original PoP with the new 3D PoP engine

Xbox Live Aware support

It truly is an amazing game. I hope that everyone gives it a try, and enjoys it as much as I do.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with you Chris. PoP does indeed rock. The controls are so well done that in no time you're pulling off crazy, complicated-looking acrobatic feats. The puzzle design is fun and interesting as well. I'm playing the PS2 version, and it looks just amazing.

If there's a weakness in the game, it's the combat. Enemies seem to each have a particular weakness so it's just a matter of by-the-numbers eliminating all of the enemies. It's still fun, though. The prince has some cool moves and it can get hectic. They never attack one at a time.

The rewind feature is implemented brilliantly. This feature completely eliminates the frustration that can sometimes come up in this type of game when you miss a jump by just a little bit and have to begin a whole series of jumps etc. again from the beginning. It also allows you to take some risks, and consequently makes the game play that much smoother. In situations where you might stop and take a look around for the next ledge or rope swing or whatever by using the different camera angles, you can simply swing off into space and hope that the level designers' brains work the same way yours does and they put a ledge where you're going to land. If this doesn't work, rewind and have your look around. Wicked.

Ubi does it again.

This game is great. And I was worried, after playing the Xbox Magazine demo. Oh, it is SO much better than that demo (add it to the growing list)!

From what I've heard, and where I'm at (40% completion), you can probably whiz through the game in around 10 hours. But, those are 10 really great no filler or fluff hours!

Amazing art direction, great voiceovers, good cutscenes (none too long), and really, really fun to play. It's REALLY fun to double-jump from a pole, then push your self off the wall to reach the pole, and then swing from the pole to reach a ledge above! I'm happy that the control scheme is quite intuitive, and it's not as difficult as it would seem to pull off some very cool moves.

If there's a weakness in the game, it's the combat. Enemies seem to each have a particular weakness so it's just a matter of by-the-numbers eliminating all of the enemies. It's still fun, though. The prince has some cool moves and it can get hectic. They never attack one at a time.

See, I would disagree with that. I really like the combat. People seem to want to compare this game to Ico (because of the puzzles, and running around with Farah, but it actually reminds me of Viewtiful Joe! Why? It's all about the Dagger of Time. With it, you can slow down time, to better hit the baddies, speed it up or even freeze enemies to later chop them in half. Sound familiar? Add in wall rebound attacks, counter-attacks and counter-retrieves, and I'm having a lot of fun! Oh, and the more you use your dagger, the more powerful it will become and the more special moves you can do with it.

What's the replay factor? Do you guys think this is a title you'll revisit, or is it a rental?

Would I replay it? I think so. Like Ico, I could probably burn through it a lot faster now that I know the puzzles. But so what? And PoP 1 and 2 might be fun to give a run through, too...

What's the replay factor? Do you guys think this is a title you'll revisit, or is it a rental?

I would say with the extras (PoP1/2) it's got a nice replay factor. Plus some of the levels are so much damn fun to play through. Once I got the control scheme down, I went back a level or two to see how much better I would fare.

The game is ~10 hours, or so I've read. BUt if they're 10 hours like the 2 I've spent total on it so far, they'd be 10 amazing hours.

Hi Guys,

I'm at the 54% mark, about 4 hours... so 10 hours sound about right, unless the stuff coming up really takes a long time.

So far I love the game. The only "minor" complaint I have is that some of the fights are so long, they just keep coming and coming! But overall, this is one of the best games I've played in a long time.

Between PoP, PGR2, Crimson Skies, and Rainbow 6, the Xbox is simply the console that gets the most play from me lately!

Tom

Question: Do you guys notice the princess, or girl, that goes along with you, you can barely hear her sometimes... I had to forgo the 5.1 and go to earphones to hear her.

• 4 months later...

I finished this game yesterday, and what else can I say that hasn't already been said. This is one terrific game. Took me about 13 hours to finish and I loved every single bit of it.

Great story, especially the end, that never got old. Graphics were stunning and the control was spot on perfect.

I rented this one but I think I'll buy it used when it gets to the ~$20 mark. I'm also all over the sequel when it comes out.

Do yourself a favor and play this game.

Cheers.

J.