LCVG

Have Time Warner Cable? Maybe no Viacom networks to start the new year

JoeyN

For the first time in my life I am happy to have Comcast. My kids would be mighty unhappy without Nickelodeon.

I love how the various networks always try to spin this as the big bad cable companies wanting to screw their customers, when it's usually the networks themselves who are asking unreasonable fees for the cable providers to carry their channels, and the cable companies not wanting to pass those fees onto the customers. ESPN has been screwing local college sports fans for years with their goddamn ESPNU channel in the same way: they buy up the broadcast rights of the local college team for football and basketball games, put it on ESPNU (which no one gets), and then blankets local media to demand ESPNU of their cable providers.

The only channel I'd miss is Comedy Central...

Time Warner are some cheap bastards though... we STILL don't have the NFL Network on TW because of failed negociations even though they exclusively carry 1 or 2 Dallas Cowboys games per year (big in Texas, not really with me, I'm a Dolphins fan. :) )

I'm pretty sure they'll work it out... that's a lot of $$$ for Viacom to leave lying on the table for too long. Looks like they're looking for about $0.25 per subscriber which TW will probably translate to $25 per subscriber per month. According to Wikipedia, in 2006 there were 13.4 million subscribers to TW on at least the basic level... so, fairly, let's say that there's oh... 14 million now. That's $3.5 million extra per month or $42 million per year on top of whatever they were receiving already. Really sounds like chump change for a major corporation like Viacom, they'll probably come to a deal.

The only channel I'd miss is Comedy Central...

Same. And I can just download South Park, Daily Show, and Colbert.

According to Viacom, "We have asked for an increase of less than 25 cents per month, per subscriber, which adds up to less than a penny per day for all 19 of MTV Networks' channels.

Which, of course, is still much more than they're worth.