LCVG

Predictions: Biggest Disappointments of 2009

Lutter

I don't know, Killzone 2 seems to be getting a lot of positive word of mouth from the publications.

• Resident Evil 5 - The controls will still feel like last gen.
  • Heavy Rain - I am worried there will not be 'enough' actual gameplay

I'll have a few more once I think about it a bit.

-Dean-

-UFC might be up there since it's the first game (although, I hope it ain't) Controls might be the biggest issue

-Ghostbusters might underwhelm a bunch

-The Sims 3 (another game, I hope I'm wrong). I don't believe Will Wright is part of the team, so it will be interesting to see the new direction

Resident Evil 5 - The controls will still feel like last gen.

There is a new control scheme implemented for RE5 that makes it feel more like a traditional third person shooter ala Gears of War, Dean. It's a selectable option along with the more "last gen" Resident Evil 4 style controls. I think they've got that particular "disappointment" covered.

I don't know, Killzone 2 seems to be getting a lot of positive word of mouth from the publications.

So has Resident Evil 5.;)

I don't know if I'd list Killzone 2 in a disappointment list but I'm willing to bet that while it will look absolutely stunning - it will also feature some of the drop dead dumbest AI seen in any recent FPS release. It's just not one of Guerilla's strong suits. I'll be pleasantly suprised if I'm wrong.

My list of two probable disappointments:

-Tom Clancy H.A.W.K.S - I just don't see this turning out well despite some good hype for the release.

-Batman Arkham Asylum - I want it to be good but it's a game with Batman in the title. The upside is that even it turns out mediocre it will be better than what has come before.

I'll also go against the grain and say that Prototype will end up ROCKING.:)

Last I heard was that RE5's controls still are not up to snuff with current gen 3rd-person controls and that the game does indeed feel like RE4.5. :)

Don't get me wrong, RE4 is one of my all time favorite games, but the controls are very archaic compared to other 3rd-person games. I want the game to be awesome, but I think it will not garnish the raves that RE4 did.

-Dean-

Last I heard was that RE5's controls still are not up to snuff with current gen 3rd-person controls

Even if I ignored the fact that Capcom is offering a reworked control scheme for the whiny bitches that need to have Resident Evil homogenized into Gears of War-lite - RE4.5? Great! I fucking loved RE4 and outside of the lack of real time weapon and item switching, I've never had an issue with how it played during the 7 times I've played through and beaten it across multiple platforms.

I want the game to be awesome, but I think it will not garnish the raves that RE4 did.

The mainstream media will blow loads all over each others faces regardless of the quality of the game :lol:lol. This next Resident Evil release is review proof dude. Player reviews will no doubt vary because folks will expect Capcom to reinvent the wheel again - it's not happening this time around and that's fine. I still think content will be king and in that regard - Capcom is going to rock it.:)

I have my worries about

Heavy Rain- I want it to be really good, but like dean mentioned I hope its not all QTE like events

HAWX-Really want this one to be good, but the long delay has me a bit worried.

Velvet Assassin is going to be really bad

Wolfenstein is going to disappoint after all this time

Even if I ignored the fact that Capcom is offering a reworked control scheme for the whiny bitches that need to have Resident Evil homogenized into Gears of War-lite - RE4.5? Great! I fucking loved RE4 and outside of the lack of real time weapon and item switching, I've never had an issue with how it played during the 7 times I've played through and beaten it across multiple platforms.

The mainstream media will blow loads all over each others faces regardless of the quality of the game :lol:lol. This next Resident Evil release is review proof dude. Player reviews will no doubt vary because folks will expect Capcom to reinvent the wheel again - it's not happening this time around and that's fine. I still think content will be king and in that regard - Capcom is going to rock it.:)

Just because people see advancement in controls for a certain gametype and would like them in a series they love doesn't constitute them as "whiny bitches." I myself want the best possible RE5 experience and that is improved controls. Sorry sir, but I am done with tank controls. I want to move freely when aiming a weapon, especially a pistol. Just because something was great 5 years ago, does not make it great today. Take Halo for instance. We can pretty much all agree that Bungie made the blueprint for console FPS controls. Infinity Ward made them even better in COD4, IMHO. Goldeneye was great.....in the day, but do we still want those types of controls today when we can have Halo or COD controls? I am not asking for Capcom to re-invent the wheel, but I am asking them to evolve a great series. I think a lot of people will criticize the controls if they are not perfect.

-Dean-

I think The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena will be a disappointment financially. People like myself who loved the original will love this one and it will probably bring in a few more hardcore gamers that didn't play the original. The license is older and there seems to be no chance the 2nd and 3rd installments will ever be made which leaves me to believe no matter the quality, it will suffer.

We should revive this thread mid-way through the year. This early in the year there are a lot of titles we don't know about yet.

• Ghostbusters will suck
  • That Las Vegas game coming to X360 & PS3 looks & sounds like poop (I don't remember the title)
  • Wolverine will suck

-Tom Clancy H.A.W.K.S - I just don't see this turning out well despite some good hype for the release.

Good call. I agree based on the stupid name alone.

Just because people see advancement in controls for a certain gametype and would like them in a series they love doesn't constitute them as "whiny bitches."

When people (not necessarily you mind) look for every game to play identically and piss and moan when there's some minute variation/quirkiness..I'll most certainly add that label. Resident Evil isn't Gears of War. Nor does it need to play like Gears is my point. Two very different design elements with those games. I understand wanting evolution but I also really dislike this need for games to be homogenized into genre "standards". I think it's ok to break those standards from time to time and experiment. Even if it doesn't always work.

Regardless, I think the new control scheme they have planned will give *THAT* particular type of player what they like to an extent. If you're looking for the ability to aim while moving (and I know you are;)) - well good luck with that cause you and I both know it's not happening.

That Las Vegas game coming to X360 & PS3 looks & sounds like poop (I don't remember the title)

This is Vegas. Some of the early videos didn't look terrible, but I don't disagree. I think it will end up being pretty poo as well.

Edited by Romier S

Sadly, I don't imagine that Afro Samurai will live up to the series. I'm still hoping for it to be something special, but get that feeling that it will be on Conan's level of quality if we're fortunate - which was fun, but hardly memorable.

Also, the fact that Dragon Age won't show up on consoles in 2009 will disappoint me - however since I really don't play any games on my PC anymore (the last one was Titan Quest and the next one will probably be Diablo 3), I'll just have to be patient since I know it IS coming.

-Sony drops the price on the PS3 in time for Killzone 2, sells enough consoles to take number 2 for this year

-Uncharted is a great sequel that tanks at retail

-Nintendo does not release a single major title, still sells a ton of Wii's

-the DSi releases here, no one cares

-Sony releases a first party game for the PSP, denies rumors they are working on a PSP2 even after photos of it show up on the internet

-Resident Evil 5 is a good game but still disappoints, online coop functions like crap

-more layoffs, more studios close

-the Halo and Guitar Hero brand suffer disappointing sales

-Sony abandons Home, creates the NPE

-Wolfenstein looks and plays like a last gen title

-MS has a solid year but lack of killer app hurts overall sales, talk of Xbox720 with motion controller surfaces

-MS finally admits mistake with Rare, closes studio

Edited by Paul

-Sony drops the price on the PS3 in time for Killzone 2, sells enough consoles to take number 2 for this year

-Uncharted is a great sequel that tanks at retail

-Nintendo does not release a single major title, still sells a ton of Wii's

-the DSi releases here, no one cares

-Sony releases a first party game for the PSP, denies rumors they are working on a PSP2 even after photos of it show up on the internet

-Resident Evil 5 is a good game but still disappoints, online coop functions like crap

-more layoffs, more studios close

-the Halo and Guitar Hero brand suffer disappointing sales

-Sony abandons Home, creates the NPE

-Wolfenstein looks and plays like a last gen title

-MS has a solid year but lack of killer app hurts overall sales, talk of Xbox720 with motion controller surfaces

-MS finally admits mistake with Rare, closes studio

I applaud the effort to be so bold but I can't help but disagree with some element of every one of these predictions.

-the Rock Band/Guitar Hero type titles are getting to a saturation point. Pretty soon they wont be able to sell new versions unless they have some really really insane tracklistings.

-Ghostbusters will release, and have suprisingly high sales once people realize it's actually a good title. Word of Mouth will save the game - but just barely in time.

-The Garfield Movie game on Wii will flop, but be hailed for it's interesting concept

-Diablo III will be delayed until Dec 09 after being announced for a summer release

Starcraft II will release to much hype in Sept 09

-Star Trek Online will release with moderately high subscriptions, then collapse 3-6 months after launch with people complaining about the content being too bland and generic and not feeling "right" for a Star Trek MMO.

-Home will finally get its kinks worked out and become moderately popular (But the lag and initial problems with the initial release will be cited as a major reason why it underperforms)

Overall industry sales will be low for the first quarter with Bionic Commando and RE5 spiking the trend, and sales will be poor throughout 2009 at least until the economy issues get sorted out. With Obama assuming control of the US economy, it may see a sudden surge in strength in February so slumping sales should start to pick up again by June or so, just in time for the usual Christmas rush (where dozens of good titles get buried in millions of crummy ones). For some reason I have a feeling a strong June/July release will have ridiculously strong sales through August (and I'm thinking it might be God of War III).