LCVG

I fried my wireless router

Starhawk

:x :x :x :x :x

I was cleaning around my router and cable modem today and I unplugged all Cat5, power, and all other cables. I reattatched all cables once I finished, but little did i know, I plugged the 12v cable modem power cord into the 5v power input of the router. I could smell a faint burning scent and noticed the power was not coming returning to the router.

In one simple mistake, I fried my wireless router. :cry: I've been kicking myself in the ass all day.

I think I am going to go by Circuit City later today and replace it with this one. I must get back on XBOX LIVE!!

Originally posted by Starhawk@Nov 8 2003, 04:57 PM

This new router is only 11Mbps and the one i broke was 22Mbps. Should I see a signifigant drop in performance?

I could be wrong, but wouldn't you only notice a drop in performance if your connection to the Internet was over 11Mbps? And I think a T1 tops out at 1.54 Mbps... and if you've got more than a T1 I'm envious :D

I could be wrong, but wouldn't you only notice a drop in performance if your connection to the Internet was over 11Mbps? And I think a T1 tops out at 1.54 Mbps... and if you've got more than a T1 I'm envious

I think you're right. I'll be on LIVE later tonight, so I'll be able to check it out then, but, like you said, I don't think there should be a difference at all.

Originally posted by Starhawk@Nov 8 2003, 05:57 PM

This new router is only 11Mbps and the one i broke was 22Mbps. Should I see a signifigant drop in performance?

On XBL, no. If you are doing file transfers from PC to PC, you'll see a performance difference, but not much.

Glad to hear you're back up and running :D

On XBL, no. If you are doing file transfers from PC to PC, you'll see a performance difference, but not much.

Glad to hear you're back up and running :D

Thanks. As you can tell, I don't know anything about networking, and then when you throw in the word "wireless" I know even less. ;)

Originally posted by Robot Monkey@Nov 8 2003, 05:11 PM

If you let the smoke out, they won't work any more.

Where is the smoke port on a Linksys BEFW-11S4? Can you put some back in if it gets out?

Originally posted by Bryan_ZZ+Nov 10 2003, 07:33 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bryan_ZZ @ Nov 10 2003, 07:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Robot Monkey@Nov 8 2003, 05:11 PM

If you let the smoke out, they won't work any more.

Where is the smoke port on a Linksys BEFW-11S4? Can you put some back in if it gets out? [/b]

Just shove a lit cigarette into one of the ports. If you want a less messy alternative, you can hold a lit cigarette next to the vent and use a fan to guide the smoke in.

Hope that helps.