LCVG

Movies that are better with repeat viewing...

foogledricks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fountain - Every time I watch it I reach new conclusions on the subtexts and overall meaning. Awesome, Awesome movie.

Se7en

Gattaca

The Godfather (I recently just watched Parts 1 and 2 again and only now, after probably my 5th viewing of each, am I comfortable with saying that I completely understand them both)

We need the converse of this thread -- Movies that don't stand up to the scrutiny of repeated viewings. Top of my list for that category would be Home Alone and The Sixth Sense.

Carlos.

The Big Lebowski

Most people don't seem to like it the first time they watch it, but get it after the second time, and think it's the funniest thing ever after a third viewing.

Some people may claim to have liked it right away, but I think most of them are liars.

Don't list more than 3 movies and steal everyone's thunder.

My picks. Most the Pixar movies. Especially:

1. The Incredibles
  2. Monsters Inc.
  3. Toy Story Series

Don't list more than 3...then you list four? :)

Dark City (didn't really get it the first viewing, love it more each time I watch)

Hackers (guilty pleasure, never get tired of it...)

I didn't like The Last of the Mohicans the first time I saw it, but grew quite fond of it on repeated viewings.

Napoleon Dynamite also gets better each time you expose yourself to quirks and catchphrases of that film.

Lastly, Almost Famous has become one of my favorite movies of all time despite a somewhat lukewarm initial viewing on my part. It has to be one of the most quotable movies ever made. The untitled director's cut is even better.

The Big Lebowski

Most people don't seem to like it the first time they watch it, but get it after the second time, and think it's the funniest thing ever after a third viewing.

Some people may claim to have liked it right away, but I think most of them are liars.

Truth! Didn't care for it on first viewing and now LOVE it!

Have to agree on almost every movie listed so far :) Alot of great films like The Fountain, Dark City and Lebowski that just didn't "click" on first viewing.

My 3...

Mullholand Dr Surprisingly, Lara Herring's and Naomi Watts' scenes together seem to get better and better upon repeated viewing ;)

Better Off Dead This was just a goofy teen movie to me on first viewing but, it has since become one of my all time favorite comedies.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail A weird british comedy to me the first time I saw it (I was 19 I think) and has become a perennial favorite for my whole household. Still finding some new or nuanced funny bit with each viewing too :)

Well, I'd say the Star Wars films, but talk about repeated viewings already! lol

But some of the ones I find I have no problem with multiple viewings are :

Spinal Tap

Austin Powers

Lord Of The Rings ( all 3 )

Princess Bride

Dark Knight

I'm sure there's alot more, but these are first things in my head...

Monty Python and the Holy Grail A weird british comedy to me the first time I saw it (I was 19 I think) and has become a perennial favorite for my whole household. Still finding some new or nuanced funny bit with each viewing too :)

I watched this recently, after not having seen it in years, and different things made me laugh. This time, the scene where Lancelot is far off in the field approaching the castle, and the suddenly appears at the front door, made me laugh till I cried. It just hit me the right way. :)

This time, the scene where Lancelot is far off in the field approaching the castle, and the suddenly appears at the front door, made me laugh till I cried. It just hit me the right way. :)

That scene always kills me. Do I remember it correctly that when he finally springs upon the guards he yells "Hah HA!" when he kills the first one? That's great.

That scene always kills me. Do I remember it correctly that when he finally springs upon the guards he yells "Hah HA!" when he kills the first one? That's great.

Yes! I just looked it up on Youtube. The whole Lancelot segment is there. The scene we're talking about starts at about 1:45.

Anchorman - I absolutely hated it the first time I saw it. It's really grown on me the more and more I watch it. Some of the stupidity I disliked the first time around just cracks me up anymore.

I'll third The Fountain and second Mullholand Drive. I absolutely loved The Fountain the first time I saw it and it just becomes that much better a film on subsequent viewings. Jackman and Weisz are both amazing. Mulholland, aside from the obvious stuff, is such a layered and interesting film. There's so many ways to interpret the film, it's just fun trying to figure out the different ways the characters and events click.