LCVG
Robot Monkey

Films hold up surprisingly well (and those that don't)

One movie that continues to impress me with its quality (and immediately makes me watch it when I see it while scrolling through the DVR guide) is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. That movie is pure magic. It's like the Everlasting Gobstopper of movies-- I could watch that thing forever. Great story, great characters, great songs, and Oompa Loompas!

The boy who played Charlie, Peter Ostrum, never acted in a movie before or since Willy Wonka... I guess he figured it'd all be downhill from there.

When I was a kid, my family owned a copy of The Karate Kid on Beta Max. (I know!) Because it was such a popular film at the time, I remember watching it quite often and really enjoying it. However, once our Beta player went down the crapper, I never saw it again.

That was until about 10 months ago when I was browsing through Netflix's instant viewing queue late one night. I noticed that The Karate Kid was one of the selections and having not seen the film in almost 20 years, I wondered how well it held up. As an adult I thought the whole premise seemed kind of silly, and the whole "Wax on, wax off," thing had become little more than a joke to me. I started watching the film just before 1:30 in the morning, thinking I would get through 15 minutes of it, get bored, and go to bed.

Over two hours later the movie ended and I had a newfound appreciation for John G. Avildsen's masterpiece. I should have been exhausted, but the enjoyment I pulled out of rediscovering this classic kept me up longer than it should have. In short it is movie that is much better than it needs to be. Yes, the premise is a little silly; I mean why is it that every kid in this town knows karate? However, once you get past that, you have a wonderful story between a boy trying to find his place in a new home and the relationship he develops with his new mentor/father figure. If anything, it's worth watching just because of the relationship between Daniel and Mr. Miyagi.

I can't say there are many movies from my childhood that I've grown to appreciate more in my adult years. However, The Karate Kid is on that short list. Go check it out if you haven't seen it for a while. You may be surprised by how much you enjoy it.

upon viewing this tonight, thank you hulu, I'm surprised to say my opinion has changed. I agree with you Jeff

For the flip side I would say Jaws, the nightmare on elm series, Gladiator, American pie, the scream movies and the spiderman movies have all gone meh to me.

Wow Jaws and Gladiator = meh? 2 of my alltime favorite movies that I'll never get tired of. Jaws especially. Different strokes I guess. :)

I guess I'll list some movies that I think have stood the test of time:

The Exorsist

The French Connection

Legend (visually I think its one of the most beautiful movies ever made)

I'd say a number of Michael Mann movies are on the "hold up very well" list.

Specifically Heat, The Insider, and Collateral are movies that I revisit at least once a year. I'd also add Dances with Wolves to that list as it's an epic that is timeless and tells a story that all should be aware of.

upon viewing this tonight, thank you hulu, I'm surprised to say my opinion has changed. I agree with you Jeff

Oh good. I'm glad you liked it, Robert-san. :)

So we have that great Movies that are better with repeat viewing thread and I was reminded of an occasional topic among my friends:

Films that hold up surprisingly well. I mean that specifically, too. The film has to hold up to be on that list, not merely because you thought Mortal Kombat was great cinema when you were 11 and you now feel nostalgic towards it.

Ghostbusters is on my "still holds up" list. The last time I saw it I was amazed how well it held up. Great dialogue, great comic timing, great throwaway scenes (how funny is the ESP testing scene in the beginning?).

- We're going to need a sample of your brain tissue.

- Okay.

Another holds-up-surprisingly-well is On Her Majesty's Secret Service. I liked it okay when I saw it as a kid. Now I'd rate it as one of the best Bond films of all time. Not the best, mind you, but definitely up there.

What films surprisingly did not hold up well? God, I've got boxes of DVDs in that category. I'm going to put The Matrix on that list. Yeah, it was fun for a while, but the last time I popped it in it seemed like it was more about wardrobe and bullet time than anything else.

Hey Mortal Kombat is the finest piece of hollywod game movies, along with Street fighter and Mario Bros.

I'd also add Dances with Wolves to that list as it's an epic that is timeless and tells a story that all should be aware of.

It's a great movie but it's fiction. I assume you are talking about the setting more than the specific story? That being the systematic removal of Indian tribes as we pursued the manifest destiny. Yea, that's in the movie but it's told a lot better via other sources.

It's a great movie but it's fiction. I assume you are talking about the setting more than the specific story? That being the systematic removal of Indian tribes as we pursued the manifest destiny. Yea, that's in the movie but it's told a lot better via other sources.

Oh I'm well aware the story itself is fictional, but yes I meant the overall theme of the film.

Shoot me some recommendations for other films that address this as I think I must be missing out.

Shoot me some recommendations for other films that address this as I think I must be missing out.

Check out some old John Wayne movies. Alot of them have indians in them and its all very realistic. You know...all indians were evil savages and all white men where badass cowboys who go around and protect women and children from the evil indians. Authentic! ;)

A few off the top of my head...

Robocop

Army of Darkness

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Rocky

Rocky 2

The Deer Hunter

Full Metal Jacket

A movie that holds up well for me and I can watch over and over is dumb and dumber..I laugh everytime I watch the film. The 5th element and Starship Troopers..I could watch them repeatedly and enjoy every minute.

For Valentine's Day, my girlfriend and I popped in a copy of Aladdin on DVD. I really liked this movie when it was first released. However, viewing it tonight left me cold. The film is just so... manic. It's one crazy gag after another and it gets tiring after a while.

I definitely put this in the category of Doesn't Hold Up Well.

I can't say there are many movies from my childhood that I've grown to appreciate more in my adult years. However, The Karate Kid is on that short list. Go check it out if you haven't seen it for a while. You may be surprised by how much you enjoy it.

That was beautifully said. I agree that Karate Kid holds up well. It's also personally profound for me as it's based on (and written by a student of) Shorei Kan karate, which helped me through a lot of things starting with 2001 in NYC, a nasty breakup, and a bit of depression. Of course, I saw the movie way before I started practicing, but I can watch it again and again.

Breakfast Club is another I can watch time and again. I love the dialogue and social humor laced in an unusual coming-of-age story. If you haven't seen this one again, do so; you can apply a lot of the same personality types to your adult years in surprising ways.

Brazil drips with satire, intelligence, humor, and relevance. It's amazing how prophetic this movie is, from its themes terrorism to alienation in the shadow of a massive bureaucracy. Its arguable that this one holds up better today than it dd in its day -- I wouldn't be surprised that those who saw it 24 years ago and didn't get it would suddenly see something extremely meaningful.

Breakfast Club is another I can watch time and again. I love the dialogue and social humor laced in an unusual coming-of-age story. If you haven't seen this one again, do so; you can apply a lot of the same personality types to your adult years in surprising ways.

Yep totally agree. Watched it during the past week actually