LCVG

Return of the King Score CD

My friend Dan Goldwasser over at Soundtrack.net, along with Matt Barry, have for the second year in a row produced a terrific exclusive review breakdown of the music of each Lord of the Rings score CD releases, culminating now with Return of the King. There are clips available for each cue, though do keep in mind the review carries spoilers, as do the cues themselves if you've not read the books.

The third CD has been edited more as a presentation of some of the more emotional cues rather than the abundance of battle music the score as heard in the film will feature. One must remember this is but 72 minutes of a three and a half hour score, but what is here sounds simply beautiful.

Especially striking to me was a moment in the selected segment presented in the review from the Anduril cue, which sees a grand reprise of a theme that only ever appeared the once, in Fellowship, and it never made it to the CD. When Boromir spoke with Aragorn in Lorien about the white tower and Gondor..... beautiful theme, and here it returns!

A reprise of a battle motif as heard in The Two Towers can also be heard here in the 'Ride of the Rohirim' cue, a theme that did make a previous CD (the tail end of 'The Hornburg' on the Two Towers album release).

Most notably, to me, as it is the most important cue for me in the entire trilogy, is 'The Grey Havens' which, if you listen to the brief clip on offer, you can hear is about to progress into a theme heard in Fellowship as they exit Moria having just lost Gandalf. The theme made the Fellowship CD release in its soprano form, but most will recall it continued on in the movie with a deeper choir humming it. Well, now it seems that theme is back in strings form. Get ready to weep I say.

http://www.soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=110

Enjoy,

Daniel

Well, as with Revolutions, this is one rabid fanboy who will be waiting until after the film to spin the disc.

Actually, I'll probably be waiting until Christmas, and get it as a present, as I'll be wanting the traditional expensive version again. I see we may be getting a DVD with it this time, according to Amazon!

• 2 weeks later...

Dan, again over at Soundtrack.net, has put up his interview with Howard Shore for those interested. Shore discusses the scores in general, the plans for the big complete score release next year, the symphony and more. Do check it out, it's a terrific interview. http://www.soundtrack.net/

Also, on the main page is a poll to vote for what you'd like to see on the special score release next year. The results will be sent on to Howard Shore. It should be obvious which is the right choice to make. :)

I'm hoping to have the Return of the King CD tomorrow.

Daniel

Well, I have the CD. It?s absolutely remarkable with a heavy turn in the album's editing toward the more emotionally fuelled music. The last twenty-five minutes of the CD in fact, is basically one giant emotional onslaught. If you read the interview at Soundtrack.net, you'd see it took Shore two months to edit the music down to the mere 72 minutes heard here on the album, and what a painful task it was to get it down to this length. Indeed, of the three released scores now, this one carries the greatest weight of the sense that so much more is missing.

Nevertheless, it is difficult not to get emotionally involved with the music as heard on the album. Of particular note early on is The Steward of Gondor, a remarkably moving cue that sees Billy Boyd taking a vocal turn toward the end. There's a lot of great vocal work here on the album, with Ben Del Maestro making a welcome return, and renowned soprano Renee Flemming joining the ranks delivering one stunning turn after another (one most notable is a take on Evenstar during 'Twilight & Shadow').

There are a variety of callbacks to themes first established back in Fellowship of the Ring. Most obvious of these is the Gondor theme. Other motifs heard before make a welcome return here too, some even making a progression in their theme. It's quite magnificent how lovingly so much had been thought out.

The ten minute 'Return of the King' cue, and the six minute 'Grey Havens' cue that follows, serve to be the most enchantingly moving pieces here on the CD. The former sees a really rather charming vocal turn from Viggo Mortensen and nods toward 'In Dreams' that will make any fan of the music of the trilogy weep. The Grey Havens, for obvious reasons, conjures emotions just as strong. Everything ends quite nicely with Into the West performed by Annie Lennox. Whilst the chorus of this song is still border lining on pop in my mind, the entire song is actually very sweet, and almost like a lullaby. Anyone who knows how it all ends need only hear her words to feel all sad inside.

And now, after we see the film and get all depresed about the many cues that didn't make this album, we wait a year for the giant score release. :)

Daniel

If I do another stint on Knights of the old Republic that leads me to 3am again, I'll be sure to check online to see if you're about. :) You may want to recommend some MP3 software though, as I don't have any such program to make decent MP3s as I never really got into the making MP3s thing... Pvt Message me on that if need be.

Here's an interesting thing though, on the credits blurb on the back of the box, Sean Bean is credited. Lee and Dourif are also noted, but I'll but that down to a breakdown of communications late into the change of their removal from the film... Bean however was intriguing to see.

Daniel

You may want to recommend some MP3 software though, as I don't have any such program to make decent MP3s as I never really got into the making MP3s thing

Go here:

CD-EX

This is what I use for all my ripping. Need any help feel free to PM me Dan.

Also don't worry friends, I'll be the first at the store to buy this CD and I'll be double dipping too to get the limited edition. ;)

If I do another stint on Knights of the old Republic that leads me to 3am again

I just got the PC version. Check my thread out in the computer section with screenies.

Also I was able to get my hands on the KOTOR promo soundtrack released a tad before the Xbox games debut. Its just fantastic Dan. I know you'll understand cause we got "soule" ;)

And its strange because I like Annie Lennox, but man Into the West just does not do it for me at all.

You know I felt like that after hearing it at first also but its really grown on me. They lyrics are very important to the music and the I really enjoy the melody however it does comes off as a bit to top 40's at times. ;) The song does lack the insant love affair that was Gollums Song.

As for the rest of the score. Absolute brilliance. Love it from beginning to end. the Return of the King cue is so very difficult to listen to because it turns me into a weeping baby.