LCVG
SCREWNUT

British TV shows are the BEST!!!

Well, they're slightly constrained in the consequences department by expectations. Sherlock only came back from exile a fortnight ago, so that would be a boring way to leave us hanging on until next series. The reason he was in exile was because he'd faked his own death, so that's out, even if you did think you could kill him off for real (and the Conan Doyle estate frown on that quite a bit).

Which apparently left going for the Massive Downer answer of killing Mary. They left enough warning signs lying around, and fridging the love interest has a long and bloody awful history. So well done them, really, for twisting it into what we got instead.

I guess, and certainly my hope, is that Moriaty's not actually back - it's a front for someone else. Quite possibly Mary knowing full well that MI5 wouldn't dare get rid of Sherlock with him around.

The Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer sitcom House of Fools begins tonight on BBC2. Hoping it's good.

Watched the first episode. It's... Definitely Vic & Bob. I can't imagine anyone who didn't grow up watching cheesy British sitcoms like Terry & June appreciating it at all. My wife found it completely uninteresting but I don't think she's actually watched much Vic & Bob before.

I'm really enjoying it. The second episode involved Bruce Willis and a pork pie.

I need to iPlayer the third episode actually as I missed it last night. I've been wanting to see them do something more akin to the outlandish humour of their pre-Shooting Stars material, and also the wonderful Catterick, No idea how well it is doing ratings wise, but I'm glad to have it. For whatever reason I don't tire of that one character Matt Berry is always cast to play in everything he does.

I'm thoroughly enjoying "Inside Number 9", the new series by the other two from League of Gentlemen. It's very "Tales of the Unexpected" mixed with League, and I'm digging the slow burning structure to the plot & twist in each episode so far. *Loved* the near silence of the second one.

Trailer doesn't do it justice IMO. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea for sure.

It IS great isn't it? Between that and House of Fools there's been great comedy on BBC2 this past month, and naturally for Sheersmith and Pemberton Inside Number 9 straddles a fine line between comedy and true sadness, particularly in that third episode which really rather bleak all round. 

It IS great isn't it? Between that and House of Fools there's been great comedy on BBC2 this past month, and naturally for Sheersmith and Pemberton Inside Number 9 straddles a fine line between comedy and true sadness, particularly in that third episode which really rather bleak all round.

Absolutely. Third episode was tremendous & wrapped up in a way I didn't expect at all.

I missed Inside Number 9. But The Life Of Rock With Brian Pern was just beautifully done. So incredibly stacked with nerdy in-jokes for the music saddoes like me.

That's been good too, though has been a frustrating mix of well done and badly done fake archive footage (and fake album covers that don't look right). Nevertheless, I will always love Simon Day, and the post credits bit in the most recent episode with the cameo on the Segway had be howling with laughter.

There's just something... off and somewhat photoshoppy about them. I dunno. Rubbed me the wrong way. Will have to go back to the first episode to be specific.

Forgot to add that I also love the series for putting Vic and Bob's Mulligan and O'Hare on TV again. 

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle returned for its third series this weekend, now with added Chris Morris. 

I played keyboard on that.

Caught up on a handful of shows over the past week.

"Behind Number 9" finished gloriously darkly. Thoroughly enjoyed this series, hope they run with the format for another series.

"Line of Duty" was totally engrossing, right to the end. Definitely differently paced than the first series, and it was a little too tightly wrapped up at the end with a bunch of exposition, but I dug it all in all. It's been signed for two more series, and I'm expecting a plot involving "The Caddy" over the duration.

Good to see "The Wrong Mans" is coming back.

Heard nothing but good things about Orphan Black. New series starts soon, need to catch up myself...

I'm seeing some talk of Orphan Black. Anyone here watches?

Heard nothing but good things about Orphan Black. New series starts soon, need to catch up myself...

Orphan Black is ridiculously good.  Tatiana Maslany plays half the characters in the show, and she's brilliant.  She got robbed of an Emmy for last season, she'd better get one this time around...

But it's Canadian, I think.

Quiet, you!  It airs on BBCA.  Close enough.

wq96d2G.gif

Cosima says "hi."

Girlfriend and I started Orphan Black last week, it is a great show. We've bumped it to the top of our 'things to watch' pile.