LCVG

EA Release News from Today- ME2, Dragon Age, and Much More.

JoeyN

Stuff from today's EA event down in Florida. MTV Multiplayer Blog, and N'gai posted this all on twitter

• Dead Space coming to Wii
  • Dragon Age PC delayed till end of year when 360/PS3 versions coming
  • Mass Effect 2 confirmed for Q4 of Fiscal Year 2010 thus Jan-March 2010 for the 360/PC. EA PR would not confirm a PS3 version yet
  • Battlefield Bad Company 2 for the same time period
  • Godfather 2 Delayed

Then they cut another 1200 employees

bah hit the 2 instead of 1. The way the Edge article said it, sounded like another batch of them

Despite an increase in game quality, EA announced miserable financials for its fiscal Q3, along with further job cuts and a reduced outlook for fiscal 2009.

The publisher announced Q3 net loss of $641 million, up from a $33 million loss a year ago. Revenue was $1.65 billion, up from $1.5 billion for the comparable quarter a year prior.

EA said that it would be cutting around 11 percent of its workforce, or around 1,100 people, close 12 facilities and narrow its product portfolio. Previously, EA anticipated cuts amounting to 10 percent of its total headcount.

Damn it, as one of the few who really loved The Godfather, I was really looking forward to GF2. February is BLEAK on releases.

Oh, I freaking LOVED The Godfather. Seeing "another side" of familiar scenes was so cool and I also was looking forward to GF2, especially the Cuba section. :bh

Some more sales info has been released. Reported on Edge, Joystiq, etc..

Left 4 Dead 1.8 million 360 and PC Retail. Steam not included

Rockband 2 1.9 million All Platforms Combined

Warhammer online 300,000 Subscribers

Dead Space Over a million All Platforms Combined

and Surprisingly Mirrors Edge has sold over a million after all the rumors it didn't do so well - Combined on 360/PS3

They probably had one or 2 major franchises underperform. The games industry is really high risk now, and any title that doesn't do extremely well can flub studios. I remember a few of the racing games they put out last year tanked pretty bad (Stuntman Ignition comes to mind)

Even if you sell a million copies, how many of those were discounted or sale copies?

Hell right now i'm watchin CNN saying that Time Warner lost 16 billion, and that panasonic has lost 15000 jobs.

I thought they had been distributing it or something. Either that or I'm probably confusing it with another racing game they had that didn't do well from around the same time as ignition

Stuntman Ignition was released by THQ & EA had nothing to do with it. It's also quite old.

Yea, there was Something racing though cost EA a lot of money they invested heavily in it and it didnt pan out. I just cant put my finger on the title. Maybe one of their Need For Speeds underperformed? I also have no idea why I was thinking ignition either

Too many damn games to keep track of these days

Edited by OzzelsCousinFred

Judging by those numbers I would think all those IPs are profitable - but EA lost quite a bit of money last year. What caused the losses?

This was from the Gamespot story.

As noted by EA, the publisher was heavily weighed down by a goodwill impairment charge of $368 million related to its wireless business as well as a $244 million charge pertaining to deferred tax assets.

Ultimately, it's a combination of costs being too high & sales too low. That may sound like a pat answer but that's what it is. How those costs can be reduced is what they're going through. Sales being low is a complicated business. So far, the market's reacted well to what EA management's been saying this week. We shall see if EA can follow through.

In related news, THQ announced they're laying off 24% of their staff.

Good to finally see some more information on Mass Effect 2-I really liked the first game, and didn't expect that the sequel would take this long. I kind of figured it'd be the same engine, and probably a bunch of re-used assets, so it shouldn't take as long as the first game. Honestly, I just want to see where the story goes. If they want to improve on some of the gameplay though, I'm all for taking the time to get it right. I got the impression that the PC version made some significant UI improvements, so hopefully those end up in the 360 sequel.