LCVG

Eye Toy

heavy liquid

So, who else has bought this, and what are your thoughts?

I found it Saturday at Best Buy. It's in a box that contains the camera (much smaller than I thought - I'm not sure why I was expecting it to bigger), and the DVD "Eye Toy: Play".

Very simple. Plug the camera in the USB slot on your PS2, place it on top of your TV, and put in the disc. Easy! There are 12 mini games, some more fun than others, but we had fun with all of them. I really enjoyed the Samba de Amigo type games.

Also planned is a sequel, Eye Toy: Groove to be released "later this year".

Now that the Eye Toy is out, I would love to see "Police 911" released domesically! For those that don't know, it is a lightgun shooter where you can physically duck behind barrels, cars... (not real ones!) with the use of a USB camera like the Eye Toy. It was ported from the arcade to the PS2 for Japan, but has never been released here. It's really fun and would be a great asset for the Eye Toy.

Now that the Eye Toy is out, I would love to see "Police 911" released domesically! For those that don't know, it is a lightgun shooter where you can physically duck behind barrels, cars... (not real ones!) with the use of a USB camera like the Eye Toy. It was ported from the arcade to the PS2 for Japan, but has never been released here. It's really fun and would be a great asset for the Eye Toy.

That sounds like the perfect implementation!!!

I played Police 911 on the campus arcade several times and had a blast. It's especially fun under the influence. :D

Another game that would be cool would be that motion tracking boxing game. Sorry I don't know what its called but I've played it at Dave & Busters. Only problem with the police game and the boxing game is that they are very tiring :) Especially difficult at Dave & Busters after drinking.

Actually, one of the mini games included is a boxing game! Pretty fun, too!

But it would be nice to have a full-fledged boxing game with nice graphics to take advantage of the Eye Toy. I've never seen the game you're talking about, but I'll have to look for it. Great idea!

EDIT:

I think I found what you're describing. Is it Mocap Boxing?

CNet has reprinted a New York Times article on the Eye Toy. They discuss future possible applications for the peripherial:

Another teaser that has yet not made it out of the EyeToy lab is a mock-up of the futuristic computer operated by Tom Cruise's detective character in the movie "Minority Report." Two summer interns, fresh from seeing the film, decided to mimic that interface on EyeToy. Instead of juggling images or data by gesturing with the sleek black gloves worn by Cruise's Detective Anderton, Marks holds a pair of spongy balls known as "the clams."

To grab a photo and drag it across the TV screen, he squeezes a clam and swings his arms through the air. Positioning both hands on the corners of the photo, Marks clicks the clams, expands the frame and rotates it sideways on screen.

Also fascinating is the "Medieval Chamber" demo that Marks created:

To show off some of the hardware's potential, Marks put together a demo called the "medieval chamber." He attached a camera to the PlayStation console, and he then wrote a program that would translate the movements of a sword in his hand into images on the TV screen. Although it relies on a single camera, the sword on the screen moves in three dimensions.

"We can do that because we know the size of the objects in the screen," Marks said. "When it leans toward the screen it gets fatter at the top and skinnier at the bottom, and we can calculate that."

I'm really looking forward to the future Eye Toy: Groove and Eye Toy: Sports discs coming out, as well as any future games utilizing this new technology. What's really exciting is that this is looking like it's only scratching the surface of the possiblities that this tech can be used for!

Originally posted by gwhinwi@Nov 10 2003, 07:21 PM

I can't get one of these to work with my projector.

Which one, the lightgun or the Eye Toy?

While the lightgun makes sense (I can't see how one would ever work with a projector), the Eye Toy doesn't actually point at the screen, but the player, so I can't see why that would be a problem.

Another teaser that has yet not made it out of the EyeToy lab is a mock-up of the futuristic computer operated by Tom Cruise's detective character in the movie "Minority Report." Two summer interns, fresh from seeing the film, decided to mimic that interface on EyeToy. Instead of juggling images or data by gesturing with the sleek black gloves worn by Cruise's Detective Anderton, Marks holds a pair of spongy balls known as "the clams."

To grab a photo and drag it across the TV screen, he squeezes a clam and swings his arms through the air. Positioning both hands on the corners of the photo, Marks clicks the clams, expands the frame and rotates it sideways on screen.

Very cool. But when you sit back to think about it, that sort of interface isn't overly different from what we already have now. Anything that seems novel about the little 'clam glove' can already be done even more effortlessly with a mouse.

• 2 weeks later...
Emotion Driven PlayStation 3?

By Dennis Day, News Editor

Published November 24, 2003 -- 06:04 am CDT

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe vice-president Phil Harrison has revealed that Sony is currently working on revolutionary motion sensor technology that will be incorporated in the company's next game console. Speaking with the Australian Financial Review, Mr. Harrison said Sony's "Eye Toy" line of digital camera based games for the PlayStation 2 were an early test for the new technology.

"EyeToy was a signpost for things in the future. If you can attach very high-resolution, low-cost video cameras you can deduce some quite interesting things about their users. We'll be able to extrapolate eye movement and gestural recognition, more complicated finger movement, and the logical next step of that is to deduce from a person's facial expression and demeanour what their emotion state is," said Mr. Harrison. Continuing, he revealed that Sony is working on new menuing systems that will allow players to navigate them simply by moving their hands. Mr. Harrison compared the next-generation game menu's to the futuristic computer database used by Tom Cruise in the film "Minority Report."

WOW. We'll see if this comes true or not. Sony has been known to exaggerate a bit about their future consoles.

Anything that seems novel about the little 'clam glove' can already be done even more effortlessly with a mouse.

True. But given time, and the push toward wireless everything, I think applications such as this could lead to amazing stuff. I envision a time when there could be a couple computer monitors hanging on walls around the house and you could walk up to any one and control it via a 'virtual mouse' simply with points and gestures.

"EyeToy was a signpost for things in the future. If you can attach very high-resolution, low-cost video cameras you can deduce some quite interesting things about their users. We'll be able to extrapolate eye movement and gestural recognition, more complicated finger movement, and the logical next step of that is to deduce from a person's facial expression and demeanour what their emotion state is," said Mr. Harrison. Continuing, he revealed that Sony is working on new menuing systems that will allow players to navigate them simply by moving their hands.

The way they worded that makes me uncomfortable. Big Brother is watching, indeed.

• 1 month later...

My wife bought me the Eye Toy for Christmas and I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate it was. My four year old also has a blast with it (particularly the Playroom section and the Wishy Washy game).

Because my projector is mounted in a coffee table between me and the screen, setting the Eye Toy on the coffee table was the perfect spot for my setup.

If you have younger kids, they'll definitely get a kick out of seeing themselves on TV and playing games using their bodies without controllers. The included games probably won't appeal to hardcore older gamers but I look forward to seeing what future applications Sony comes up with for the Eye Toy.

FYI:

There was an article in the Business section of the LA Times on Sunday about the Eye Toy (NOTE: the LA Times website requires you to register for free to access the article):

http://www.latimes.com/business/custom/cot...-business-enter

Here's probably the most interesting part of the article:

By the end of 2003, it had sold more than 2 million units in Europe and 400,000 in the United States. Sony estimates it will have shipped 4 million units by March 31, the end of its fiscal year. Most titles are considered hits if they ship 500,000 units.

More EyeToy offerings are in the works, including a dancing game, due out this spring, in which players will move their arms in sync with music. The programming tools needed to write games for the EyeToy, available on Sony's website, have been downloaded more than 1,000 times, giving Marks hope that his idea is being taken up by developers who may integrate it into future games.

Originally posted by Masta Red Snappa@Jan 19 2004, 01:30 PM

(NOTE: the LA Times website requires you to register for free to access the article):

FYI, I have found that in 90% of cases where you visit a website that requires a free registration, if you type in "username" for the user ID and "password" for the password, it will let you right in. It worked in this case also.

Carlos.