LCVG

Sony Playstation 3 Store/Marketplace/PSN Discussion Part II

EnemaEms

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firmware 3.40 available.

We’ve gone ahead and provided a few highlights from PS3 firmware update (v3.40) below:

* PlayStation Plus: PlayStation Network users will be able to purchase membership to PlayStation Plus; a new subscription service on the PlayStation Network that provides you with new options to expand and enhance your gaming experience and enable you to gain an exclusive set of features and content. Friendly reminder, all of you PlayStation Network users will continue to have free access to PlayStation Network’s unmatched and expanding suite of new and exclusive features while PlayStation Plus subscribers will gain access to an exclusive and expanding set of gaming features, content and functionality.

* Photo Gallery: A new network based photo sharing feature is now available on the Photo Gallery. The enhancement allows you to upload, browse and comment on photos on Facebook and Picasa Web Album. You can also opt to share your photos between your PlayStation Network friends as well as print photos from Photo Gallery.

* Video Editor & Uploader: Video Editor and Uploader is a new function found on the XrossMediaBar (XMB), which enables you to edit, save and upload video files stored on the PS3 system to sites such as Facebook or YouTube.

* Five Star Rating Support: Users can rate the PlayStation Store content they have purchased with one to five star ratings.

* Power Save Settings: The default setting for PS3 System Auto-Off will be set at 2 hours, providing you with additional power save options and further improving power save features on the PS3 system.

And a new Facebook application for sharing your PSN trophies etc is coming:

In addition to the latest features introduced in PS3 system software update (v3.40), a separate, new PlayStation Network application on Facebook.com will be made available. This builds upon what was previously launched with Trophies and the ability to publish purchases from the PlayStation Store. Now you can further integrate your PlayStation Network and Facebook accounts with this new application. The application allows you to display your PlayStation Network profile on your Facebook account, find out which of your Facebook friends have a PSN account and send them a PlayStation Network friend request, view your PSN friends’ online status and add the PlayStation Network application tab to your Facebook user profile.

Maybe that just means that the features they are rolling out don't particularly match what the users really want.

I wasn't initially interested in Plus but if you do plenty of PS3 gaming, downloading on the PSN and adding DLC content to games - $50 bucks a year for the service seems like a pretty damned good deal. Add in the avatars/themes etc. and it seems like you'd make back that money fairly quickly.

I'm not arguing that the service is 'great" or blows XBL out of the water, but for a first pay for effort, I can absolutely see the appeal and if the right content is discounted and the right games are offered - it makes a ton of sense for me moving forward.

What exactly are PSN's awesome unmatched features?

Online play at no cost which is not availble on XBL unless you're subscribing. You could also argue the quality of that online play experience but I'm playing devil's advocate here...

Ugh... I was pretty open to a PSN+ sub: Its the same price as XBL annually and the free game access was a solid selling point for me but, inFamous and WipeOut are not good starters IMO. Both games are 2 years old (?) and are platinum sellers - point being everyone already has them :/ I know it's possible new PS3 owners probably don't have them (at least both) already but whatever. I was hoping the first game would be a newer Sony exclusive like GOW3 or there would be access to a new demo or beta or something but the list is pretty dissapointing for me.

Oh well...

Edit: Also - did I read this feature correctly: Cross-game voice chat is PSN+ only? Or is it a feature for all in the new firmware...?

Seems to use Hulu, you need to be a PSN+ members like on the 360.

Seems that's just for a "preview period".

With the launch of Hulu Plus there have been many rumors started and we are trying our best to remedy the situation. Specifically to your question, the Playstation Plus service is only a requirement during the preview period.

Once the preview period ends you should be able to download the Hulu Plus app but that will still require the Hulu Plus subscription.

Right now we are limiting the number of users but Hulu Plus will be launching to the public very soon so stay tuned!