LCVG

Battlefield 1943 - XBLA & PSN!

dogbert

EA & Dice just announced Battlefield 1943 is coming to XBLA & PSN (and PC) this summer... PR & video trailer here!

Built on the same engine as Bad Company, the downloadable game will offer 24 players the chance to battle it out across Wake Island, Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima

Looks like it could be a lot of fun. Low cost multiplayer game? Quick drop in & out gameplay? Mmmmmm....

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BC was ok, but still nothing compared to the good old PC games. If 1943 is similar it won't interest me or any of my LIVE shooter buds and I'll just install PC BF2 again and wonder how DICE went so wrong :)

1943 is 1942 running the Battlefield Bad Company engine more or less, I believe.

Battlefield fans may find themselves disappointed on how much has been simplified in this new release while others will be happy to see some stuff from Bad Company staying (destructible environments)

http://kotaku.com/5148080/battlefield-1943-pacific-preview-a-much-needed-upgrade#viewcomments

As Brian stated, the game is essentially an HD remake of 1942 with selected maps from that game making a return.

Unlike previous Battlefield games, Pacific only has three unit classes: Infantry, Riflemen, and Scout. Gone are the Medics and Heavy weapons classes. Van dyke explained they wanted every class to be able to fight in every situation. Every class has weapons to fight against the biggest tanks and armor. I would like to have seen more classes with varied abilities and risks.

Also, players have auto-health and unlimited ammo.

The destructible environments were a breath of fresh air for me. As someone who played a ton of the original 1942, nothing was more infuriating that driving into a tree and getting stuck. Now, I can run them all over and blow chunks of buildings away. Van Dyke said the game has about the same amount of destruction depth as Bad Company.

I also loved playing as the medic (it's also my favourite TF2 class, for that matter), but Halo-style regeneration usually makes for more interesting gameplay than the charging around like a nutter that used to be the Battlefield template when none of your team-mates could be bothered to be one.

• 2 months later...

$15 bucks for the game...

DICE Announces $15 Price for Battlefield 1943

Premium Arcade Title Delivers Endless Hours of Multiplayer Fun, Legendary WWII Battlefield Action and Destruction

STOCKHOLM--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DICE, an Electronic Arts Inc. studio (NASDAQ:ERTS), today announced that Battlefield 1943™ will be available in June for $15 USD in the Xbox LIVE™ Marketplace (1200 MS Points) or the PlayStation?Store. The action-packed arcade title will also be available for PC in September. Battlefield 1943 is an all-new multiplayer game that offers endless hours of 24-player action in popular maps inspired by Battlefield 1942™, now updated with the Frostbite™ engine. The total destructibility afforded by the Frostbite engine ups the ante and leaves players with nowhere to hide.

In Battlefield 1943, intense battles ensue over three classic and tropic locations; Wake Island, Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima. Gamers play as the US Marines or the Imperial Japanese Navy, competing by land, air and sea. Players have the freedom to pick their path in battle - be it as a rifleman crawling through the trenches, a steel fisted tank commander, or a dog fighting pilot that protects the skies.

“Using the same Frostbite engine that we developed for Battlefield: Bad Company, we are able to take players back to WWII and return to the roots of the Battlefield franchise, but with a new twist – destruction,” said Gordon Van Dyke, Producer on Battlefield 1943. “We want to offer gamers the most accessible online shooter experience and the best value found in any premium download title with Battlefield 1943.”

For more information on DICE, please visit http://www.dice.se or http://www.ea.com. For more information on Battlefield 1943 please visit: http://www.battlefield1943.com.

About Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts Inc. (EA), headquartered in Redwood City, California, is the world's leading interactive entertainment software company. Founded in 1982, the Company develops, publishes, and distributes interactive software worldwide for video game systems, personal computers, cellular handsets and the Internet. Electronic Arts markets its products under four brand names: EA SPORTSTM, EATM, EA SPORTS Freestyle TM and POGOTM. In fiscal 2008, EA posted GAAP net revenue of $3.67 billion and had 27 titles that sold more than one million copies. EA's homepage and online game site is http://www.ea.com. More information about EA's products and full text of press releases can be found on the Internet at http://info.ea.com.

EA, EA SPORTS, EA SPORTS Freestyle and POGO are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Battlefield 1943, Battlefield 1942 and Frostbite are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA Digital Illusions CE AB.

I wish I didn't think Battlefield on consoles automatically equals suck.

Please DICE, make it good like the old PC games.

agreed 1000%. I may get this for $15 because that's pretty cheap otherwise if they wanted full price I would pass. The console versions of Battlefield have all sucked in comparison to the PC version.