LCVG

HALO 2 - 11/28/03?

heavy liquid

This past weekend (last night, mainly) I've noticed a rumor spreading like wildfire around the internet that HALO 2 will be released early. Some say 11/15/03 (Xbox anniversary date), and others say 11/28/03.

Now even IGN is getting in on the action. I guess I could see a demo being released, but I really doubt the game would come out without a HUGE marketing blitz. This is Microsoft's baby, and their biggest title, after all. I admit the P Diddy commercial does sound rather mysterious.

QUOTE:

" But it's a 2004 title you say! Well it was, but reports from the net suggest otherwise, as does a P.Diddy Xbox advert seen on NBC yesterday where the great big fool says, "The world will know XBox" and then, "on November 15th" appears. A silhouette of the Master Chief also appears on screen in the background."

Any guesses on why "The world will know XBOX on November 15th"?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rumors are interesting and if Microsoft actually pulls it off it would be amazing - even just for the fact they could keep it as quiet as they have.

My first impression is that they wouldn't have a big preorder time to help boost release day sales - but if they are able to ship enough copies out to the stores that would be a moot point.

Could be an interesting week :)

Maybe announce it on the 15th to fit with the commercial, allow for preorders and release on the 28th?

Oh boy! Megaton announcement!

Oh wait, this is the wrong forum ;).

I think that while it would seem like an awesome surprise to have Halo 2 come out early and all that good stuff, I don't think for one second from a marketing standpoint that anybody would let Halo 2 out the door without a huge media blitz.

I mean, it's not the first time we've seen this sort of announcement being made by a company and have nothing come of it. Sure it appeared on IGN, but they were at the forefront of that "Rebel Strike on X-Box" fiasco weren't they? ;)

I'm also not saying it won't happen and isn't possible, just that it's bloody unlikely. I'd believe it if I saw it but not a second before :green:. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't games almost always get released on the Tuesdays in each month anyway? Why would MicroSoft release Halo 2 on a Saturday just to mark an anniversary?

Just points to ponder :).

I think that while it would seem like an awesome surprise to have Halo 2 come out early and all that good stuff, I don't think for one second from a marketing standpoint that anybody would let Halo 2 out the door without a huge media blitz.

Actually, think about all of the free media and word-of-mouth coverage. Sneaking out the most anticipated XBox game as a sort of 'October Surprise', and actually managing to keep it a secret up until less than a month before it hits the shelves...well, that would be a big news story. Buzz would erupt overnight.

(no, I don't think it is happening)

Ok here is some more rumor fuel:

http://games.thedgn.com/index.php?page=new...AAlohUFeHEf.php

http://games.thedgn.com/index.php?page=new...ZZFIMuJspbK.php

http://games.thedgn.com/index.php?page=new...yllqRxBTDHp.php

And there was the sudden "Halo 2" box at Best Buy with the Demo/controller/coupons.... Maybe that could be an incentive w/ preorder if the announcement comes.

Well reguardless this will make for an interesting couple of days right now :)

I'm also not saying it won't happen and isn't possible, just that it's bloody unlikely. I'd believe it if I saw it but not a second before . Correct me if I'm wrong but don't games almost always get released on the Tuesdays in each month anyway? Why would MicroSoft release Halo 2 on a Saturday just to mark an anniversary?

Mark, IGN later writes that "November 15th date is when a demo of the game will be released via Xbox Live, and, although the article doesn't state this, presumably through retailers too."

I don't know what to think, really. Why release a game without all the marketing?

Buuuuut, I guess if they release the demo on the 15th, and then flood the media with a marketing blitz for a week and a half until the release on Friday the 28th, that would work...

I'll bet they'd get a lot of people signed up for XBOX LIVE over the holidays if this were to happen! ;)

Buuuuut, I guess if they release the demo on the 15th, and then flood the media with a marketing blitz for a week and a half, that would work...

That would be the most likely scenario to my mind, provided the game was actually prepped to be released ;).

I think Zathras has the right idea, gonna be an interesting couple of days :P.

Because they want to blind side their compititors?

There are more "behind the scenes" items that point to this happening, one of them being the price on Halo trade ins just recently dropped over night from $22 to $8.

Another thing is look at how much marketing MS has done on their current big holiday game, PGR2. If PGR2 was really their big holiday title we should be sick of PGR2 commercials, but I haven't seen a single one yet.

Originally posted by heavy liquid@Nov 10 2003, 09:41 AM

"November 15th date is when a demo of the game will be released via Xbox Live, and, although the article doesn't state this, presumably through retailers too."

Slightly off topic, but I'm curious as to how they could offer a full demo as a download on Xbox Live? I wonder if you could download it using any Live game, and then it would appear up as a main menu option, etc...

Anyway, back to the main discussion... :D

Yeah, but according to the EBGames coupon, Fable will be out this year as well! I'm not even sure Fable will be released next year!

There are more "behind the scenes" items that point to this happening, one of them being the price on Halo trade ins just recently dropped over night from $22 to $8.

Another thing is look at how much marketing MS has done on their current big holiday game, PGR2. If PGR2 was really their big holiday title we should be sick of PGR2 commercials, but I haven't seen a single one yet.

Interesting points, Kelley. You're right, if anyone could pull something like this off it would be MS. They've kept the game sealed tight (much like Half-Life 2), only releasing info when they've been good and ready.

Originally posted by gigapower@Nov 10 2003, 03:45 PM

This is rather more likely due to the US getting an equivalent bundle to the UK's one that contains Halo and Midtown 3 as pack-ins. Certainly, that is what I'd be doing if I were Microsoft.

Originally posted by Pharmboy@Nov 10 2003, 12:02 PM

I'd just like to point out that there are 12 people on the forum right now, and 8 of them are in this single topic :P.

I'm not leaving this thread until one of two things happen:

1. Halo 2 goes gold

2. All 237 of us are here.

I'd just like to point out that there are 12 people on the forum right now, and 8 of them are in this single topic .

I guess it's a good illustration of how MS could pull something like this off, given the rabid attention everyone gives HALO.

Who knows, this could have been planned back when they moved the release date (was that back in the spring?). And this could very well be the start of the "marketing blitz". If this is all true, I bow down before the geniuses at the MS marketing department! ;)

Mike,

I clicked your link but this was all I saw:

Well i own an xbox and Halo and i would never think of bying a ps2 kuz i hate it 2 much but i think halo 2 is way 2 much antecepated for a couple of reasons. first, look at all the bull microsofts tryin to pull, like mlb inside pitch 2003, that game blows, and nba inside drive, which also blows. and halo was "the best game ever" till we heard about halo 2, and how much better can they make the game? did they already run out of ideas? or do they want your money? i cant be a hippocrit because i am gunna buy the game. and if the game sux, u s wil stilll buy halo 3 if there is one! dont waste your money (thats what they want!!!!!!). so get tony hawks underground or ddr ultramix or mafia or rainbow 6 or what ever.

Mi*e G**zo (Topkidm@aol.com) on 11/5/2003

I'm going to make sure he gets a friend invite from me ASAP! :shock:

Originally posted by heavy liquid@Nov 10 2003, 04:00 PM

As well as (rumors?) HALO becoming a platinum title very soon.

Can't remember where I read this, offhand.

I've heard it attributed to multiple people who work in EB that Halo is listed to drop to $19.99 on November 15th (i.e. the actual date mentioned by Mr. Coombs in the advert). Its why the trade-in value of Halo has just gone through the floor.