LCVG

Identifying DVD-ROM brand?

Peter O

Originally posted by Odie@Nov 10 2003, 02:35 PM

Take a look at the threads for GTA3 and Morrowind over at HTF. Several people are having problems with the Thomson.

You don't even need to go there, I started a thread here about my problems which were utterly ridiculous, but the key here is how old the Xboxes are. Are you saying that there are posts from people with new (say, less than 6 months old) Xboxes that are having Thompson problems?

Oh, I didn't realize there might be an "updated" Thompson drive.

My Xbox is a year old though and I'd like to know for sure before I pick up GTA3 or if I should wait a few months for the price to drop.

I didn't realize we had a "tech support" forum, I didn't see your thread before now.

Oh, I didn't realize there might be an "updated" Thompson drive.

I don't know if there is, but my assumption is that MS isn't stupid enough to continue to sell Thompson drives unless they've taken steps to correct the obvious problems they've had in the past.

I know to some that might be a big assumption, but I'm hoping it's right...so far my new Xbox is working great.

Ed,

I think that would be a perfectly logical assumption. Having people make warranty claims constantly isn't good for business.

I've got a Sammy one myself, but GTA did freeze once on me. It was after a tough, involved mission, too. Hopefully it won't happen again.