LCVG

Flower (PSN)

EnemaEms

Most. Beautiful. Game. EVAR!

God yes. It's just bright, colorful and lovely. Gorgeous and as far as "experimental" games are concerned, this is a MUCH greater success than flOw. The motion controls are spot on (I actually didn't feel awkward after about 5 minutes of play time which is an amazing accomplishment for a motion control based game in my hands). It's just one of the most serene experiences there is in gaming. The music is subdued but fits perfectly with the visuals. I love it!

Worth every penny of the $10 they are charging IMHO. I just unlocked the second Flower "world" a little bit ago. I want to play more but I have work early as hell tommorow.:(

Playing it reminded me of Ed in the "Losing Interest" thread. It would make an amazing iPhone game.:)

Edited by Romier S

I'm not totally thrilled with the motion controls. They work great (and it feels a little more sensible in Flower than in flOw), but I'm still pretty sure I'd be more comfortable and relaxed if I could just use a stick (and since you're basically doing joystick motions and nothing more, why not give us the dang option?).

I can't wait until I can play it more tomorrow!

I caved. I was going to hold strong and righteously punish Sony for the lack of demo... but then I pictured my 5-year-old daughter flying around doing something with flowers and coughed up the cash.

I did the first two "levels" last night and enjoyed it. It's certainly a departure from my usual fare.

I told Julia -- who has never really gamed -- about it this morning and let her try it before school and, though she had trouble remembering to bank instead of yaw, she had a great time. She liberated several areas all by herself. Even my wife commented on the beauty of the visuals and the music. Win.

Wow, I can't believe there is no demo for this game!

The videos are pretty, but I certainly must be missing something because the awesome praise in this thread doesn't jive with the mysterious lack of substance in the videos I've watched.

Is there a good video out there that conveys what the heck the game really plays like? All I've see is blowing petals turning grass green. :umm

So, people are paying $10 to control a technical demo?

It may not be for you. It's a bit of a mood piece, like Flow, like Linger in Shadows, but it definitely has more of a "game" to it. You control your petal's direction & speed, aiming to fly over the landscape collecting more petals & touching every flower in an area to "unlock" it, opening up the next chunk of landscape. As the game progresses, the colours, setting, mood changes & new obstacles are added to the landscape. Is it "light" as a game? Sure. Is it calming, relaxing, arty? Sure. Is it fun? I'm having a ball with it.

It's not a long game, it's not a complicated game.

Those obsessed with bald space marines may not want to apply :)

It is certainly more than a tech demo, I agree.

The repeat play value is quite wonderful once you get into the mindset of wanting to bloom every single flower on a level and uncover hidden areas and gain certain trophies (it isn?t long after the second area before this actually becomes a challenge). There?s definitely variety in the later levels too with the various effects triggered by the petals (painting for example) and even the fact that your petals can get harmed and destroyed.

The videos are pretty, but I certainly must be missing something because the awesome praise in this thread doesn't jive with the mysterious lack of substance in the videos I've watched.

....perhaps because the awesome praise is from a standpoint of actual experience with the game as opposed to a video?:);)

As noted, it's more than a tech demo. It's not complicated from a control or even gameplay standpoint. It's quite simple as Brian already explained but it's also captivating thanks to the visuals, music and just how smooth the whole experience is etc.

When I was in high school I used to sit outside my house and scribble on a drawing pad to pass time. It was just relaxing and let me concentrate on one thing without any other thoughts jumping in my head. That's exactly what it's like to play Flower. I sat there last night and a hour went by before I even noticed it. Brian said it best..

Is it "light" as a game? Sure. Is it calming, relaxing, arty? Sure. Is it fun? I'm having a ball with it.

I will say one thing, Sony needs to do a better job of standardizing demos on thier PSN releases...

Ouu pretty. Visuals and sound are spot on. Relaxing little time waster this one is. Makes me wish I could stream my own music while playing though. The music in the game fits the world very well but will get old fast. Would be nice to be able to queue up some of my favorite ambient music and fly around a bit. Oh well. :) Cool game/demo/whatever the heck you want to call it. Much better than Flow IMO.

The last stage was magically delicious.

lol...now I know what you mean. Just played it and man was that beautiful.

Edited by Cyberwoo

Is this it, Dan?

Flower is likely to reignite the “video games as art” debate. Chen believes such discussions should focus on what the work communicates, rather than what medium it is presented in. “I think many people will relate abstract themes and crafted beauty as artistic. I don’t necessarily agree,” he says. “To me, art is about the communication of a consciousness from the artwork to its audience. We tried really hard to keep our game focused with one voice. Thus it is more likely to be heard by the player. If we failed at communicating the desired emotional experience to the player, then it is not art, in my opinion.”

Chen needn’t worry. Flower is a remarkable and exquisitely crafted piece of work that transcends the medium effortlessly. It’s a wonderful journey of emotion and exploration that should even speak to people who have never picked up a video game controller before. Flower makes your heart soar as you whip the controller up, sending your petal stream high above the landscape in a tornado of beautiful colours and roaring wind or surfing close to the ground, watching the blades of grass part and sway as you bring life back to the world around you.

It’s a glorious video game and, yes, a wonderful work of art.

Dang I was mistaken in thinking I had reached the last level the other day. Went to play the game last night and discovered the last 3 levels. So like ya that last level was something else. :) I was captivated for every second of the game. I can't stress enough how beautiful it all is. As great as it looks it sound/music is just as good.

Now that I've finished the game I'm actually looking forward to trying to unlock the trophies for the game. I figured this would be something I'd play once and forget about but its like a beautiful dream you want to go back and experience the second you wake up from it. One thing I'd like to see would be the ability to unlock each level so that you can freely roam around in it without any of the objectives. An interactive screensaver if you will.