LCVG

South Park Season 13 Discussion

Starhawk

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Blu-ray of Season 12 will be 16:9 apparently, and Season 13 will be when aired as well. It would seem as if they have actually been doing the show at that ratio for some time now...

From TV Shows on DVD last month:

The rear package art for the DVD format version of The Complete 12th Season clearly shows a "Full Screen" aspect for the video. However, the Blu-ray Disc rear art doesn't say one way or the other! Paramount's info had previously stated, in multiple places, that the BD release would also be full screen. Not so, the Comedy Central rep informs us. The standard DVD will be full screen, but the hi-def Blu-ray will be widescreen. "Why can there be a difference?," we asked. The answer given is that "South Park delivers broadcast tapes in 4:3 for SD and 16:9 for HD." So basically each format will present the show as originally broadcast, which is different for each level of definition.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/South-Park-Season-12/11121

The 'Good times with Weapons' HD DVD was also 16:9, specifically re-done for that promotional disc so one would assume they'll be doing that for even the earliest seasons too.

Edited by Doctor Hoo

I'm pretty sure Good Times with Weapons was cropped somewhat though. I think I remember reading something about it.

I saw just the other day that Season 12 was coming out on Blu Ray which makes me happy.

Can't wait for season 13. I can only watch Major Boobage so many times (I've probably got a few million more to go before I'm tired of it though).

I never collected the DVDs so I am very pleased to see Season 12 hit Blu, but I am unlikely to get it until Paramount show themselves to be confident enough to release more sets. I am not sure how well they might sell as many may assume there is no benefit, and laugh at the price. Comedy Central showing the series in HD however will hopefully ensure there is interest.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm excited about Trey and Matt going back and re-rendering those old episodes in HD. I don't know why, but I've always thought that I could never really appreciate the full-scale crappiness of the animation in standard definition.

• 4 weeks later...
I meant to post about this. I really liked it as well. South Park is good for keeping up on trends/news; I had no idea the whole purity ring thing was real.

Yeah, but you also didn't know that people still drink real sugary soda either, so that's not surprising. :)

By the way, I do not have a purity ring.

I liked the first episode, but I didn't love it. Mickey was pretty funny at times, but it also seemed to be trying too hard at times.

I also bought Season 12 on Blu Ray today. It does look nice and really sharp, but I'm a little disappointed that it is indeed cropped. While it's not too bad, it does feel a little cramped at times.

There's some more bonus features on the discs this year which is nice. They've been doing making of features for the website lately and those have been included on the discs as well as the pre-requisite mini commentaries from Matt and Trey.

We also get digital copies this year. Usually I wouldn't care about this, but South Park is something I'd actually use this for. I can just throw these onto my Media Player instead of converting all my DivX copies.

I really enjoyed it. Very silly. Have no idea who these Jonas Brothers are though. Do they really do that "bay-baaaah" thing? That made me chuckle.

I'm a little disappointed that it is indeed cropped. While it's not too bad, it does feel a little cramped at times.

One review I read seemed to suggest as you get to the end of the season the framing of the episodes improves as if to suggest they began actually preparing for 16:9 HD broadcasts a little way into Season 12 production.

Edited by Doctor Hoo

One review I read seemed to suggest as you get to the end of the season the framing of the episodes improves as if to suggest they began actually preparing for 16:9 HD broadcasts a little way into Season 12 production.

This is true. I had only checked the first episode. The Fall half of the run, which started with "The China Probrem" is indeed 16:9. Comparing the two there is obviously more information on the sides and feels much better framed.

• 2 weeks later...
I really enjoyed it. Very silly. Have no idea who these Jonas Brothers are though. Do they really do that "bay-baaaah" thing? That made me chuckle.

They're like the male versions of Miley Cyrus. I'm surprised that they haven't blown up in the UK like they have here. It's all for the 10-14 "tween" market.

I don't secretly like them like I love Miley though... ;)

I thought they were re-framing the episodes for HD? Whatever. It's not like South Park is high art anyways. :)