Mass Effect 2 Discussion Thread

JoeyN

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't wait, loved the first, hopefully they firm up some of the shittier portions (vehicle combat I'm looking at you). But I'm definitely down for more time in that universe, was a great experience.

This time I'll be putting the whole damn thing on my 360 HDD though, since the original bricked two of mine with its load times. :P

I don't buy Shephard being dead. No doubt he's either faked his death or made the galaxy think he is gone so that he can hunt the Reapers. It would certainly be an interesting twist if he was dead.:)

HE?

My Shephard was a hot redheaded female with big tits. I hope your Shephard's dead. ;)

HE?

My Shephard was a hot redheaded female with big tits. I hope your Shephard's dead. ;)

Your all nuts. My Shephard was a blonde haired, blue eyed SOB. He was like the mirror universe of Captain Kirk. He let the council die, he killed aliens. He started the new era for the humans. All aliens under our control in our new world order as slaves. Long live the Empire!! :rock

Shepherd? Reapers? Why I am thinking Reynolds and Jayne?

Because you have good taste in tv and movies.

I wonder if we are going to be able to continue with our Mass Effect 1 Shepards or not. I thought that was the plan in the beginning but the latest thing that I heard was that it was going to give you "something" for your Mass Effect 1 save. Anyone read differently?

Edited by weremichael

• 1 month later...

Last Night on Gametrailers TV they visited Bioware which you can watch here. Some info on ME2 was talked about

1)It was hinted that you may play from a few different character perspectives during the game

2)Your imported save from mass effect 1 will change how the game starts, and goes for each player

3)You will get to see the Elusive Cerebrus leader from the book Ascension. He is a part of the story

4)We will get more info about who we will play as during E3

• 1 month later...

Prelude to E3 Video!!

Mass Effect 2 teaser/prelude video

I have to replay the first game very soon. :) Bioware's been talking up a few of the big improvements in the game. The elevator loading is gone:). They've found ways to improve and shorten the load times to better integrate them into the story. The conversation system should live up to the promises of the first game and more. I LOVED Mass Effect despite the shoddy inventory system and so-so side quests. The PC version is an even better game and if they don't implement the party controls available in the PC version of the original I will have to immediately murder someone at Bioware..

Edited by Romier S

I'll be the party pooper and say that the problem with the first game wasn't covered in that video. Mass Effect blended generic action with a poor choose your own adventure story that felt linear and no matter how I played it. I love the idea of this style game but it's the same game as Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire with a different art style and even worse storytelling.

I'm not trying to be a Bioware hater but for a developer championed for bringing great narrative and interactive storytelling to games they have utterly failed to evolve. The branching stories are effectively the same in each game, the "fetch X to advance" gameplay is too obvious to the player, and the storytelling has been awful since the end of KOTOR.

I'll join in the fun when they innovate again. Show the new character shading to the FPS engine fanboys. I want Bioware to be Bioware again.

Mass Effect blended generic action

Have you played the PC version? I mention it only because the "generic action" in the console game is actually fleshed out into what it was meant to be from the very first demo video we saw (and I never understood why they changed it!). I agree with you in making the criticisms towards how the action played out in the 360 version. I absolutely disagree about said criticism in the PC version of the game which provided an actual strategic shooter experience as opposed to the garbled mess that was the 360 game.

I love the idea of this style game but it's the same game as Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire with a different art style and even worse storytelling.

You had me up until you mentioned Jade Empire which is, in my mind, the worse game Bioware has released to date. Generally poor combat system (terrible really), outright dull characters and a story I stopped caring about 5 hours in. Mass Effect is worse? I'll have to disagree with you there again, Camp.

Mass Effect from a narrative perspective wasn't perfect (you and I discussed some of the issues in the thread actually) but I felt it had a generally engaging story despite the linearity of the overarching narrative. I just hope we do get some actual reason for the Reapers to want to destroy humanity this time around...

I want Bioware to be Bioware again.

heh...

http://www.lcvg.com/forum/showpost.php?p=272569&postcount=328

;)

I still stand by my original comment though. Despite the issues, I really enjoyed my time with the game warts and all. They need to overhaul thier mission structure and they absolutely need to overhaul how conversations and the general story plays out (I have the same complaints about Bethesda moving forward - I don't know if I can take characters just standing still with limited animations during conversation for 60+ hours anymore)...but I'm eager as hell to play Mass Effect 2. Primarily because I did enjoy the story quite a bit.

Have you played the PC version?

I had no reason to suspect the PC version differed from the consoles. Why the change?

You had me up until you mentioned Jade Empire which is, in my mind, the worse game Bioware has released to date. Generally poor combat system (terrible really), outright dull characters and a story I stopped caring about 5 hours in. Mass Effect is worse? I'll have to disagree with you there again, Camp.

Fair enough. I didn't say Jade Empire was any good though so be fair. ;)

I will say this about Jade Empire though: At least they tried to do something different with the combat system. They failed, but they did try. I can't say the same for Mass Effect.

Perhaps it was after reaction to Jade Empire that Bioware decided to stop innovating.

My original point was the games essentially function the same. There has been zero progression since the Xbox days. This from the company shaping the future of interactive storytelling.

I just hope we do get some actual reason for the Reapers to want to destroy humanity this time around...

That's the thing. Why even bother to find out? Did the first game really leave you with that amputated arm feeling? That feeling where you simply could not wait to find out more about the story? Seriously?

If they push the limits and make some attempt cover up the obvious linearity of the various story threads it might be enough to make me interested. Think of how Miyamoto famously "hides" the introduction of new gameplay mechanics in early stages. Dulling the sharp edges will go a long way toward making the whole thing feel more cinematic and interactive.

As it stands, the design of these games constantly remind me I'm only playing a choose your own adventure book. It doesn't exactly transport me like a good story should.

They need to overhaul thier mission structure and they absolutely need to overhaul how conversations and the general story plays out (I have the same complaints about Bethesda moving forward - I don't know if I can take characters just standing still with limited animations during conversation for 60+ hours anymore)

Agreed on the Bethesda point too. I could go on and on. ;)

Seriously, I don't mean to dog a game people like. Just a fair discussion of the issues which (obviously) bother me more than others. Clearly, I'm in the minority.

Edited by iCamp

Crap combat (360 version for what its worth) and a generally boring and lifeless world is what killed Mass Effect to me. Excellent music, intruiging overall sci-fi look and feel but the actual gameplay just bored me to death eventually. Just couldn't get into it dispite numerous attempts to.

I had no reason to suspect the PC version differed from the consoles. Why the change?

They were forced to cater to a PC crowd that would be exponentially more pissed off to have to deal with a "consolised" UI (something Bethesda took a shit load of crap for with Oblivion). UI changed were no doubt planned for the PC as it was but I'm sure they learned from thier mistakes with the 360 release. So they made major changes to how the inventory was sorted which was a bug plus. They reduced the elevator loading times and the entire interface for controlling squadmates was completely overhauled. You actually have full control of each individual squadmate in the PC version. You can order each one to specific locations to setup flanking and cover maneuvers as well as queue up powers and weaponry on the fly. Oh and the game runs exponentially better on a good PC of course.

I'm not kidding when I say it's a completely different game from a combat perspective, Camp! You can take a quick look at the PC Tactical HUD here:

http://kotaku.com/377580/mass-effect-pc-shows-off-shiny-new-hud

My original point was the games essentially function the same. There has been zero progression since the Xbox days.

I would argue that Bioware's golden years of innovation ended with Baldur's Gate II to be frank. KOTOR is an extension of that game in many many ways with a lot of the complexity, choices and general game progression being oversimplified to fit the market they were going for. KOTOR is still an f'ing brilliant game regardless, but I miss the Bioware of the Infinity Engine days.

Why even bother to find out? Did the first game really leave you with that amputated arm feeling? That feeling where you simply could not wait to find out more about the story? Seriously?

Well, to be fair the narrative in Mass Effect offered up a good deal of closure to what was presented so, no. I can't say I had that amputated arm feeling. However, the finale did leave me extremely interested to see where they take Shepherd in the next game in his pursuit of the Reapers. It left me very interested in wanting to find out thier ultimate goal. Seriously.

I enjoyed the story. No two ways about it.

Seriously, I don't mean to dog a game people like. Just a fair discussion of the issues which (obviously) bother me more than others. Clearly, I'm in the minority.

Absolutely. You're not in the minority when it comes to a good number of criticisms leveled at the game at all. Hell I agree with a good number of them! While other issues didn't bother me quite as much and in the end I enjoyed the overall experience despite them.

Fallout 3 falls into that same category for me. I could serve up a list the size of my arm with things that bug the shit out of me in that game but the core experience I get out it is so damned enjoyable, it makes it easier to look past it all. Something I can't do with say....Grand Theft Auto. I'm always the party pooper in those threads.:)

Edited by Romier S

Here's an interview with the game lead, Casey Hudson...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/masseffect2workingtitle/video/6209825/mass-effect-2-interview-1

Key points:

- Combat system has been overhauled with the ability to command individual squadmates to different points ala the PC version of the original (thank god!). New animations will make combat smoother and help improve the cover system also.

- Focus on personalization of weaponry and armor with more choices available for both

- Conversation system remains similiar to the first in terms of the options being a more general thought than what the character will say. The interrupt system planned in the first game is in and will be shown at E3.

- The entire inventory/UI from the first game has been trashed and redesigned from scratch.

I hope god they have improved and greatly expanded in-party interaction. Heading back to the Normandy to speak to your party in-between missions was worthwhile up until about the mid-way point in the game. Then all interaction just stopped. That was, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the most disappointing aspect of the first game. Not to mention in-mission interaction was kept to an absolute minimum which irked me as well.

Edited by Romier S