LCVG

Sony Announces PSP 2009 Lineup + new colours

dogbert

Here's the scoop... Assassin's Creed PSP, Rock Band Unplugged (developed by Backbone & with the gameplay style of Amplitude), LittleBigPlanet, Madden NFL10 (allowing custom plays designed on the PSP to be transferred to the PS3 for use in that version), Motorstorm Artic Edge (developed by Bigbig of Pursuit Force fame) and a bunch of Ubisoft tat.

Two new bundles are also in the works. SCEA plans to release a Lilac-colored PSP system bundled with a Hannah Montana game, aiming to appeal to young female audiences, while a second bundle includes Assassin's Creed for PSP with a black system. Both bundles will retail for $199 and will be available at some point in 2009.

I'm definitely interested in more details on the Rock Band and Assassin's Creed titles. Good to see that there's some more software coming to the platform. Kind of makes me wish I had a train commute so I could get more portable gaming time in, since I have a ton of DS and PSP games sitting there unfinished, and yet I still keep buying them.

I'm a little hesitant on Assassin's creed after trying out the xbox version - have a hard time getting into it for some reason, I was kind of hoping it'd be more of an open world thing than it wound up being but I'm not sure how it'd be on the psp.

I know the feeling. I've got a huge stack of unfinished games right now. DS/PSP included. v.v

I'm definitely interested in more details on the Rock Band

I've heard we'll get more concrete details about it real soon; Harmonix produced + designed, Backbone developed, Amplitude inspired with the Rock Band licensing & presentation soounds like a pretty cool mix to me so far.

How the heck will you get games on a UMD-less PSP??? Cartridges? something new? Direct digital? (Direct digital could kill that handheld depending how they handle distribution)

The mind boggles

How do you get songs and movies on an iPod or iPhone? Books on a Kindle?

How do you get songs and movies on an iPod or iPhone? Books on a Kindle?

Indeed.

And even if it's UMD-less, it could still have a memory stick slot. A UMDless device is a risky move but Sony needs to do something long term for the PSP to boost month to month software sales outside of a handful of marque titles (God of War, GTA etc).

It's definitely not going to be for everyone.

Sony needs to do something. The current PSP is dead at retail. A direct distribution model isn't going to help either. If Sony has any hope left in the PS3 becoming profitable they will offer PSP2 games on a retail-friendly media.

Hmmmm... More and more detail/news on the various sites lately about a PSP 4000. The most recent being yesterday on Joystiq and made a specific reference to the fact that it was another iteration in the same line; ie: Not a PSP2. Just a lower cost version of the 3000 "brite" model without a UMD drive and a sliding screen per the renders going around. I have to say though that I like it if it is indeed the PSP 4000...Especially since all the renders so far have shown dual analogs :)

Oh sure they finally release the Dual Analog control on the PSP but gut the UMD drive >.<

The problem the PSP has are it's pricepoint, and library more than anything (though the lack of dual analog was a mistake out of the starting gates). While direct download might work for some titles I think there's enough of a divide over the idea that it's not going to push sales. What WILL push sales is a better library. There are NOT many good PSP titles. Not compared to the DS.

With DSi coming out at a much higher pricepoint we're likely to see PSP see a surge in sales if its price hits the right level And people get convinced about the library. Direct DL or otherwise that's whats got to happen if they want sales.

Personally I dont like the idea of a UMDless version though unless it's accompanied by a UMD compatible model as well (how am I supposed to play the old games I've already bought??)

Ipod style download games may be what the industry wants to see or what a few hardcore gamers want to see, but there are definetely people out there who prefer physical media for games