LCVG

Size vs. picture quality

Jeff W

My gameroom is in the basement, I like it there because no one bothers me, but because it is where it is it's mostly outfitted with older, hand me down stuff like TV's, sound systems, chairs, couches, etc. I could game on the 50 inch LCD in the living room but it would be a constant fight for the TV and people constantly bothering me. Right now I game on a 36 inch standard def Sony set, my 360 is hooked up via component cables so it looks pretty good, but not hi-def good. My brother got a new set and gave me his old one, a 26 inch Oliva (spelling?) 1080i LCD. So I'm wondering, I've grown quite accustomed to gaming on the bigger set but I'm sure games would look much better on the smaller set, should I stick with the 36 inch standard def or go with the smaller Hi def and just sit closer?

Ten inches is a lot to lose off your screen, though, especially from 36 to 26. I don't think it's as cut-and-dried as the previous posts make it sound; if possible, I would hook the smaller set up and see if you can live with it. Hi-def is nice, but you may not be able to adjust to such a smaller set.

Personally I think I would keep your existing set, but again, hook the new one up if you can and see how it works in your space.

I think I knew most everyone would say go hi-def, maybe I just needed a shove. As per Dave's suggestion I've got it hooked up now, after dinner I'll try a few different games and see what I got. One other thing, this TV has HDMI and Killzone 2 is coming, time to get a PS3? I think so.

Size of the screen only matters if you expect multiple people to be viewing. If it is just you, you can adjust seating distance to match size. I have an 88 inch screen and I sit 9 feet away. But I also have a six-seat home theater. If it was just for me, I'd get a 42 inch HDTV and sit accordingly.

Btw, jesus has this site been slow today.