LCVG

Petition for XBOX 2 backwards-compatibility

foogledricks

Here is the petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/xbox2/petition.html

I don't understand. I have the hardest time playing the games I purchase for more than a month before I start to get sick of them, and want to buy the next big thing. It is a disease that I have, and it sucks money from my wallet. But because of this disease, I could CARE LESS if XBOX2 can play Fusion Frenzy and NFL 2K2. Will anyone really be playing these older games once they have Halo 3, Madden 2007, etc?

Originally posted by kfredericks@Nov 10 2003, 09:28 PM

I could CARE LESS if XBOX2 can play Fusion Frenzy and NFL 2K2. Will anyone really be playing these older games once they have Halo 3, Madden 2007, etc?

Maybe not Fusion Frenzy ;) but yes, I can see myself going back to play a "classic" game even when I have the next system. That's part of the reason I have a small collection of older consoles, such as the SNES, Genesis, etc. Admittedly, it is kind of a moot point for me, since I am not the sort to get rid of my old consoles anyway - when Xbox 2 hits the stores, I'll keep the Xbox 1. But it would be very nice to be able to pop in the older titles into the X2 and play them, without having to plug up the old one. Plus, if it's 2007 and my original Xbox croaks, it'd be great if Xbox 2 played the older titles.

I can't understand when backwards compatability *doesn't* matter to someone. Will you always have only one tv dedicated to gaming? Do you really never ever revisit an older title? Without backwards compatability, people who didn't own an Xbox (and that's a large market) but get an Xbox2 won't buy any older titles. Why would Microsoft abandon that market segment? Why would they let Sony crow that Xbox is the only console that won't play the games you already spent thousands of dollars on? What if they dropped DVD playability? Why not, you already have an original Xbox (and a dedicated DVD player, probably), you don't need the new one to play DVDs. Even Nintendo execs admit that non-DVD functionality hurt the GC. Backwards compatability is along the same lines.

From a business standpoint? The big deal is built-in product base. That way we, as businessmen, can sit back and go 'Oh yeah, well, sure the PS2 had shit titles at launch except for that snowboarding deal, but at least the consumer could play all their old stuff with no problem.'

Suddenly your advertising can claim legitimately that your system plays x hundred games because, well, it does, even if they were not originally designed for that particular system.

Better still, that library does not automatically become redundant and just become a boneyard for collectors. Now Joe Average consumer can buy his copy of Halo 12: Salad Evolved, Master Chief vs. Master Chef and think to himself, damn I own this fancy new Z-Box but never got around to checking out the Y-Box that Halo 11: Cannibal Chiefs in the Avocado Jungle of Death was released for. But since my new box here can play the Y-Box titles just fine, I'll pick that up too.

Cha-ching! :green:

I absolutely want backward compatibility. I expect that I will want to play several games for years to come, and I really don't want to lug this huge-ass console around with me, or find a place for it in my house, or keep a connection to my projector available for it, or even a power outlet. It's a waste to have two devices sitting around when one could do the same job...

Originally posted by Bryan_ZZ@Nov 11 2003, 08:34 AM

I think it is a must. All of my reasons have been stolen by Ed and Allen.

They're thieves, Bryan. Maybe Andy Lesko will sell you a book with a "solution" and free government money in it.

I'd like backwards compatibility so I can trade-in whatever XBox I own at the time (unless it's serving in another capacity).

-j

Originally posted by Bryan_ZZ@Nov 11 2003, 10:26 AM

If anybody needs a government grant to build a sandwich shoppe/ film developing business, let me know.

Bryan, I've actually seen the guy in your avatar out on the street. He was driving a moped and wearing the "question mark" suit, though it was a different color.

Here's one other reason for wanting backwards compatibility that hasn't already been mentioned.

How many of us would take a stab at modding our xbox's if the xbox 2 takes care of all online play?

I know I would consider it.

Oh, and by the way, Online petitions aren't worth the paper they aren't written on.

Carlos.

On a slight tangent:

If Sega had made the Dreamcast able to play Saturn games (I've read it would have been very simple),

No, it wouldn't have been simple at all. Completely different hardware setups, completely different rendering styles, no common libraries. Many of the supposed Saturn ports on the DC were actually ports of the equivalent PC conversion (eg House of the Dead, Virtua Cop). Of note is that there's still no superior Saturn emulator for the PC - Saturne has its moments, but still a long way from being 100% or usable for most people.

How many of us would take a stab at modding our xbox's if the xbox 2 takes care of all online play?

Why wait? You can play online with a modded XBox today.

And in all honesty, if they ever do figure out how to ban a modded XBox with a switched chip and no custom dashboard on the C: drive, the benefits of a modded XBox (as far as emulators, media playing, ShoutCast, etc) makes it worth having two systems...in my opinion.

No, it wouldn't have been simple at all. Completely different hardware setups, completely different rendering styles, no common libraries. Many of the supposed Saturn ports on the DC were actually ports of the equivalent PC conversion (eg House of the Dead, Virtua Cop). Of note is that there's still no superior Saturn emulator for the PC - Saturne has its moments, but still a long way from being 100% or usable for most people.

Thanks for setting me straight, Brian. I had read the comment about it being easy somewhere on the Sega Fans site, but I don't remember exactly where.

Doesn't anyone care that developers might continue to develop xbox 1 games so that they have a larger user base. This would promote inferior titles, and hinder advancement of the system/games.

Did that happen on the PS1/PS2? The PS1 became a ghetto of cheap licenced ports & kiddie games, as the price of the machine was dropped so much. I don't know of any PS2 titles that were hindered by the backwards compatibilty in the way you describe.

Regardless of what we think, I know that the backwards compatibilty of the PS2 is a selling point to the mainstream consumers out there, even if they never actually use it much...

Regardless of what we think, I know that the backwards compatibilty of the PS2 is a selling point to the mainstream consumers out there, even if they never actually use it much...

For sure. Inasmuch as the GBA backwards compatibility is an equally big selling point.

Wow, I guess I am alone in this thread. Amazing that so many of you could be so wrong :D

I am not questioning the marketing value of having backwards-compatibility, I am questioning the passion for this feature that spawns petitions like the link above. That sentiment is clearly reflected in the participants of this thread, since I am the only one who does not value this feature. With that, I give you my arguments below:

First let me say that I am most interested in hearing everyone's personal reason for wanting backwards-compatibility. Speculating about what average-Joe consumer, parent, or Microsoft Marketing Manager thinks about this feature is not really as useful as hearing what you personally value as a gaming consumer.

I can't understand when backwards compatability *doesn't* matter to someone. Will you always have only one tv dedicated to gaming? Do you really never ever revisit an older title?

Correct. I do not play my N64, Genesis, or SNES games any longer. There was this one game, "The New Tetris" for N64 that I wish was available on my current TV, but I can barely find the time to play Top Spin, Crimson Skies, and SSX 3 at the moment.

I expect that I will want to play several games for years to come

Which games exactly? Answering this question is probably the most useful way of approaching this thread. Which XBOX games do you all expect you will be playing in 3+ years? I loved Halo, MM3, and NFL 2K3. And I still own all three. They are GREAT games! But they will all be succeeded, like just about every game. What games, for you (do you think) won't be succeeded - requiring you to hang on to them?

Doesn't anyone care that developers might continue to develop xbox 1 games so that they have a larger user base. This would promote inferior titles, and hinder advancement of the system/games.

Developers continued to develop PS1 games for a long time, I think they still make them. Any good PS1 games been released lately? I'm not being sarcastic, really, have there been any good games? If XBOX 1 games are released in 3 years, it would take a doozy to get me to choose it over the likely plethora of XBOX 2 games.

But they will all be succeeded, like just about every game.

No, they won't all be succeeded.

Deciding that I will never play Tempest 2000, or Rez, or Ferrari F355, or Jet Set Radio again would be like deciding that I will never watch Citizen Kane again. Just because they are old, and because many great games will be released in the future, does not mean that every specific game I love will be surpassed.

Backwards compatibility is a wonderful thing for those who truly value each game as a unique piece of art instead of simple entertainment.

Well said and appreciated. I unfortunately have never seen Citizen Kane. And I don't see games on a level beyond entertainment, though I suppose if you philosophically explained to me what you view as art, I might find that I do appreciate games as more than just entertainment. Perhaps I just need your perspective articulated a bit more.

It is quite possible though that I do not value games as art, which would explain why I am more apt to trade in games after playing them out, while you all don't do that as much. Movies on the other hand, well, I have 150+ library of DVDs. I would never trade them in.

Not sure what this all means.