LCVG

360 and backwards compatibility

Atomic Dog

I did a search for this and found a couple threads, but they were several years old.

I'm just wondering how well the BC works on the 360? My wife's coworker got a used 360 last month. Shortly thereafter it died on him. (Apparently something other than RRoD) He's got it in to microsoft right now being repaired. He confided to my wife that he doesn't think he really wants it. He only has some Tony Hawk game for it right now and can't really afford to be shelling out $60 a pop for new games. He made a comment about wanting to trade for my old X Box.

I have a handful of xbox games that I'd like to hang on to, it looks like many of them are on the BC list. In general, do these games run pretty successfully on the 360? This could be a good opportunity to jump into the world of 360 on the cheap. I don't want to give up some of these older games, even though I haven't played them in a long time and possibly never will.

Side note: Looking through that BC list has me itching to jump into Metal Arms: Glitch in the System again. I never finished that, but really enjoyed it a lot.

It's a crap shoot. Some games run really well while others have a slew of glitches and other problems that arise during gameplay. Take a look here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitysupportissues.htm

It's got a decent list of known issues with games on the list. While it omits some huge ones like Silent Hill 2 being nearly unplayable in certain spots due to texture issues etc.

I've got a few BC titles for my 360, they play alright for the most part. I did have a lot of trouble getting SW Battlefront download content on my console though since it's paid for cash vs points.

DOA Ultimate didn't work at all on my Xbox till they patched it.

I think I have one old Xbox title that doesn't work at all currently: Midway Arcade Treasures 2. (which kinda sucks since I bought it and dont even have an xbox) Not sure they'll ever get around to fixing this one either

Haven't had many problems with my GOTY edition of Morrowind but the graphics do occassionally glitch

Ninja Gaiden Black runs fine (but its still Ninja Gaiden :P)

I think I have one old Xbox title that doesn't work at all currently: Midway Arcade Treasures 2. (which kinda sucks since I bought it and dont even have an xbox) Not sure they'll ever get around to fixing this one either

I have all of the Midaway Arcade Treasures from the Xbox, three I think. I doubt they'll ever work as they'd like to make us buy them again on XBLA.

Weird, I played Silent Hill 2 last year, Greatest Hits version

Do you mean the Platinum Hits version? There was no "Greatest Hits" version of Silent Hill 2 ever released on the Xbox. The Xbox release was dubbed "Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams" and included the extra "Born from a Wish" scenario which chronicled how Maria came into existence. There a later Playstation 2 Greatest Hits version released that included that scenario for Sony's platform. Outside of that, Restless Dreams is all that was ever released for the 360 along with the Platinum Hits release.

As far as BC is concerned with the title, the issues are well documented:

http://www.the-horror.com/index.php?id=features&s=sh2360

It's a travesty the game is even on the backwards compatible list to be honest.