LCVG

Off to the Big Apple next week..

exile

I'm meeting a bunch of friends up in Connecticut next weekend. I'm staying with a friend of mine in Northeast NJ(Rivervale). I've got the entire day on Friday(as he is working) to spend with another friend and his wife who have never been to NYC.

We're going to try to see as much as we can see. He works down on Park Ave towards a train station(if that helps) so that will be our starting point. I don't think we'll have enough time to hit up the museums so what do you suggest for an all day NYC sightseeingfest? We're planning on purchasing a subway pass each for the entire day to cover our transportation.

I figured with all of the NY'ers here, I'd get some suggestions..

He works down on Park Ave towards a train station(if that helps)

Well, there are probably 100 train stations on Park Ave alone, but I'm going to guess you mean Grand Central?

If so, you should see that, as it's beautiful.

Then, I have to ask... what are you into? There are about 9,999,999 things to see and do here, not including the usual tourist fare like Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, etc. (which are boring, expensive, and I don't recommend).

Instead, I'd recommend you eat food, eat food, eat food. Then see Chinatown (eat more food), maybe Soho, the Village -- all great for walking around. St. Mark's Place is still pretty interesting.

But, again, give us more info... what are you into?

Grand Central is the one.

We want to hit up the usual touristy stuff but in a flow meaning we don't waste too much time traveling between spots. We aren't planning on doing the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty. We're sticking the free stuff(besides food and drink).

We need a breakfast place suggestion(bagels?)

The only things we have talked about include:

Staten Island Ferry(which should give us a view of the Statue)

The Village. I want to take them to that famous cheese shop and we are planning on eating some pizza at a famous pizza place (Lombardis I think) and planning to get a drink at someplace(we talked about Burp Castle in the village since I like Belgian Ale).

Grand Central(because it's close to the starting point).

Central Park

A hot dog and a pretzel off the street someplace

Chinatown

Little Italy(it's close to Chinatown).

Times Square

Rockefeller Center

We're not looking to do musuems and such(i'll do that on another trip).

I think we are just looking for some direction so we don't waste too much time on the subway. We will be in the city early in the morning and then meeting up with our other friends around 6-7 at Birdland Jazz Club for dinner and entertainment so we have pretty much all day.

Does this help?

Grand Central, Rockefeller Center, and Time Square are relatively close by each other (RC being the furthest away). You could hit all those in one fell swoop.

Same thing for the Village, Chinatown, and Little Italy.

A hot dog you can get anywhere and if you stretch a bit further north from Rockefeller Center you'll hit Central Park.

I never understood the hotdog/pretzel craze. When me and my buddies went last summer to NYC, we all got the famous hotdog/pretzels from the street vendors and it was low-end food. For the same amount, here in Toronto we would have gotten a hotdog twice as big and twice as tastier.

Empire gives a nice view.

Chinatown and Little Italy were worth visiting

Timesquare is a great hangout (we kept coming back every night).

If you're a burger fan, there's plenty of decent burgers to get.

We took a hop-on-hop-off tour that lasted the full day. Nice way to see everything on short time.

All the vendors in the NYC area were the same (can't remember the name). Bought them near Staten Island, just outside Times Square and outside Yankee Stadium. My friend one upped me and bought one at Yankee Stadium and said it tasted the same as everywhere else.

Well, here is the plan. I want feedback on my suggested route if possible..

We'll be using our feet, the bus and the subway with an all day pass.

Start: GC Station.

Rockefeller Center & St Patricks Cathedral

Times Square

FAO Schwartz and Central Park

Chelsea Market(depending on time)

Village - Johns Pizza, Murrays

Little Italy

Soho

Chinatown

NYSE and WTC

Staten Island Ferry from Battery Park

End trip.

that seems like a lot in 8 hrs but we'll just play it by ear. I'm just making sure I'm taking the most efficient path. Chelsea and Chinatown are the 2 most likely cut if we have to cut something. The people I've hanging out with are going to Chinatown anyway on Saturday.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Yeah, that's downright impossible in one day, honestly.

You can drop Chelsea Market (just food shops), Little Italy (it's a shadow of its former self and all touristy restaurants trying to drag you in for mediocre pizza and pasta), NYSE and WTC (could be late by then and WTC is just a construction site with little to no views anymore), and Ferry (it's really just a boat, but I suppose the views could be nice if the weather cooperates).

The ferry, NYSE and WTC are staying for sure. I don't know that we will be staying in areas for too long so It's possible I think. The weather appears it's going to cooperate for that day.

Is the route sound or should we rearrange things?

I'm telling you, WTC is absolutely nothing to see, and they've removed all the observation platform stuff. Unless you're there to pay respects and it really means something to you, it's pretty much a done deal now and very annoying to walk around.

Just a warning.

I'd start from Central Park and work your way down to FAO then Rockefeller then Times Sq. then continue down.

I think Josh has the right of it. Start at 59th street or slightly further uptown, cruise lower Central Park, then you can flit downwards.

Much of it depends on how far you can or want to walk. 20 NYC blocks = mile, give or take. Wear good walking shoes. I've seen proud men and women brought low trying to walk the city on bad shoes. Don't do it.

So bypass GCS and go straight to CP? Our starting point is from my friends office which is right down the street from GCS. I'll take your advice and avoid WTC.

We have good shoes and city pass(bus, subway etc) so we are set there. I walked about 10 miles the last time I visited but I was lost a lot :) The guy going with me has a pocket gps so that should help a little :)

• 2 weeks later...

Josh,

I thought you'd want to know that we hit everything on the list except Chinatown, NYSE and Little Italy. We looked for the stock exchanged but were lost a bit so we headed for battery park and went on the ferry ride. We spent too much time in Times Square and ended up going into the city around 10:00 so we got a late start but otherwise we hit everything. We started out at the NJ Bus Depot and walked towards Times Sqaure then up towards Rockefeller Center.

John's pizza was pretty incredible that day. The whole day ended with us heading to an evening at the Birdland Jazz place. The food was outstanding and the entertainment was quite good. For $80 I felt like I got a deal for NYC that is ;)

The weather was so clear we got some great pictures from the Staten Island Ferry. That was the 2nd highlight from our trip. The big highlight being St Patricks. You can't really describe that place.