LCVG

New Ipod shuffle

Zelex

Looks like over-reaching garbage to me.

Yeah, I know that's strong, but, really, it reads the title to you? Why, because it's so much better than an LCD screen? Oh, and I can't use my own headphones? Awesome!

Maybe if it came with a hat that says "I own an Apple product" so I could wear it when I'm not visibly using the shuffle. Then the shuffle would be awesome and worth it.

Looks like over-reaching garbage to me.

Yeah, I know that's strong, but, really, it reads the title to you? Why, because it's so much better than an LCD screen? Oh, and I can't use my own headphones? Awesome!

In all fairness, the goal is to make it as small as possible, whether that is worth not having a screen or on-player controls is debatable. But it does seem like the design choices are dictated by the goal of making it very small. I know some people love the shuffle because of it's size. I'm not in that camp, but I can understand why they do.

And I can see the point of moving the controls to the headphone cord, which is why you need their headphones (for now). I usually control my iPhone's iPod player via the cord (pause, next-track) because it's easier than fishing the player out of my pocket. I would give up this functionality if I had to use Apple headphones (which I don't like at all), but there are plenty of other good headphones out there that duplicate the iPhone controls/mic on the cord...and I suspect heaphone companies are already working on replacement for the new shuffle headphones.

Edited by rustyjaw

I think removing controls from the device itself and placing them Only on the headset is a mistake. Other than that it seems like a decent little player with a decent price and fair storage space. Not interested in a shuffle for my own use but, my wife's sister doesn't use anything but the shuffle. She says its the best "fit" she's found given her job (flight attendant). Seems reasonable enough to me but, again not having controls on the player itself is a bad idea IMO.

With any luck they will update the original design with the larger storage capacity so people could pick either :)

Besides having to use their headphones, I like it. The previous shuffle didnt have a screen and no way to tell you what the titles were at all, right? So, this one is smaller, tells you the title tracks, controls on the headphones easier to access... this thing is perfect for the gym.

The previous shuffle didnt have a screen and no way to tell you what the titles were at all, right? So, this one is smaller, tells you the title tracks, controls on the headphones easier to access... this thing is perfect for the gym.

Right, it's better than the last one -- that doesn't make it good, or even okay and certainly not "perfect". This isn't good design, it's fetishism.

Smaller? Eye roll here. The last one and its competitors are so small that if they become unclipped they just hang by the headphone cord because they are so small. I can't bring myself to care about "smaller" for little entry-level flash-based MP3 players anymore for that reason -- they are already damn small from a practical viewpoint.

What else? I find what I want instantly on my Sansa due to a great feature called a tiny LCD screen. When I want to watch one of the TVs at my gym* I tune my Sansa in to the appropriate FM station. That sounds like something perfect for the gym -- not a player lacking these basic features.

And that headphones deal is very stupid. I have an in-line remote for my old MP3 player and it's handy, but not that handy. Certainly not handy enough to make me happy to buy special headphones just for an entry-level MP3 player.

Crap value and hard to use. This is an awful device compared to competitors. Only when compared to the previous Shuffle model does it look "perfect" for anything. That's probably the point.

It's for users trapped in the Apple ecosystem.

* This is in theory, mind you. I haven't been in my gym for a while. I maintain the membership so I can look at the membership card on my keychain ruefully like I'm looking through old pictures and was reminded of an old friend I've lost touch with and should call.

What about people who don’t like Apple’s headphones and want to use their own? What if I want to plug the shuffle into my car stereo via an auxiliary port?

Apple says that third-party adapters that add control buttons to any set of headphones are on their way. Not a great answer, but there it is.

More FAQs here: http://www.macworld.com/article/139366/2009/03/ipod_shuffle_faq.html?lsrc=top_1

I also didnt know that these headphones are the same ones on all of the newer ipods, including the new in-ear Apple earbuds I've been thinking about getting. I thought the headphones with the Shuffle were "Shuffle only".

I also like how Podcasts get put in their own playlists when moving through the playlist list, and that you can just quickly move forward and back between playlists without having the shuffle announce them all to you.

Smaller? Eye roll here. The last one and its competitors are so small that if they become unclipped they just hang by the headphone cord because they are so small. I can't bring myself to care about "smaller" for little entry-level flash-based MP3 players anymore for that reason -- they are already damn small from a practical viewpoint.

Yes, they are damn small, but when has that ever stopped any trend in technology? Walkmans started out bulky and stopped getting smaller when they were about the same size as casette tapes, ditto portable CD players.

I fully expect someone in the near future to release a pair of earbuds with the player built-in, and controls on the cord. For playing music, the only necessary part of the player are the headphones and controls (and battery).

Edited by rustyjaw

Yes, they are damn small, but when has that ever stopped any trend in technology?

Oh, I totally agree, especially with your prediction that player will soon be integrated into earbuds.

My laptop is as small as it can get without being a pain to use. That's my point really about the Shuffle. It sacrifices function for form. Dialing up songs, podcasts and playlists now come with a ridiculous "solution" of a robot voice because Apple won't use a screen.

It would be progress if MP3 players were just too damn big. They aren't. This is a good fetish, not a good product.